Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, simply......$$$$$

Well, prior to the AFL owning Marvel, a club would usually need a crowd of about 28,000 to break even at the ground.

Tassie were paying us a mint to go down there, plus we took all the takings from caterings and other little add ons.

I was told back then that 15,000 at Tassie earned the club the same money as 70,000 at the MCG.

Now that the AFL owns Marvel, the stadium deal will be greatly improved. This might be one reason for coming back to Marvel for those games.

Exactly

The stadium economics improved in 2010-11 when the AFL gave Melbourne based clubs a $100k cheque to play games in Melbourne.

We are a club with an NTA of $56m, $30m cash at bank and 85000 members.

Surely we can make 11 games work.

Play more games in Melbourne and our distribution from the AFL (currently 17th) will surely improve

Well according to Ian Dicker stadium economics at Colonel was the only reason we went down...

I stand corrected on the origins of the Tassie deal.

But my point still remains. We were playing 9 games at the G pre Tassie something that has evolved over time to 7/4. I don’t see why we don’t go back to 9/2 or 10/1 ala Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne.

Facts and figures quoted by Kennett haters demonstrate the just how wrong they are.
On any measure we have had an unbelievable period of on field and off field success.
Thanks to good leadership and good decision making.
Nothing or Nobody is perfect. Mistakes are made. But Hawthorn have done it better than all others.
Well done Dicker Newbold Kennett.
Can't help but think much of the criticism is political.
You were the guy telling us all that it was perfectly fine for Kennett to be the only AFL president to publicly throw mud at and undermine the state government, and now you’re siding with his suggestion that Hawthorn should look at a possible relocation of the club...

Those who are pissed off with his public commentary are HFC lovers first and foremost, so you can take this “kennett hater” crap elsewhere because it’s clear who is wedded to a particular side of politics.

You were the guy telling us all that it was perfectly fine for Kennett to be the only AFL president to publicly throw mud at and undermine the state government, and now you’re siding with his suggestion that Hawthorn should look at a possible relocation of the club...

Those who are pissed off with his public commentary are HFC lovers first and foremost, so you can take this “kennett hater” crap elsewhere.

That ‘Kennett hater’ commentary has a ‘project fear’ ring to it

I still haven’t had one poster back up the claims that Kennett ‘individual approach’ to public diplomacy has delivered results to the club

I stand corrected on the origins of the Tassie deal.

But my point still remains. We were playing 9 games at the G pre Tassie something that has evolved over time to 7/4. I don’t see why we don’t go back to 9/2 or 10/1 ala Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne.
Actually now it is 6 MCG, 4 Tas, 1 Marvel. How many home games we get at Marvel will depend on what the Marvel tenant clubs do with their home home games, as there is a still a minimum number of Marvel games required to to catering and other contracts. I.e. If North kept playing four interstate and Saints started playing more games away from Marvel, we would end up filling the gap. Maybe four games.

9/2 would be great. Especially once members reserved seating there is sorted.

Tassie was great initially, but if we had been purely Melbourne club during our threepeat, we would have been a bigger, stronger club now. Instead of playing to 13K in Tas, some of those games would have pulled 40K+ (we played Carlton there in 2016) and we would have had a stronger case for a better fixture.

Time to come home Hawks.

Bulldogs 2017 and Suns 2019 Docklands crowds were artificially boosted because they were Hodge’s last game (or so we thought at the time) and Roughy’s last game respectively.
Still getting my head around that this was the last game in Melbourne that we had a live crowd at!
Seems like so long ago - well it was actually!

Easily.

Essendon, Collingwood and bizarrely Melbourne aside, we have played every team in Tasmania.

It's a myth that we have played the low drawing games in Tasmania and the high drawing games in Melbourne.

I'm not sure anyone says we *only* play the low drawing teams there, but it seems pretty clear we mostly do, and we play the same teams there over and over again: Port, Freo, Suns, Brisbane, Saints etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play more games in Melbourne and our distribution from the AFL (currently 17th) will surely improve

No offense, but you're dreaming if you think we'd get more money via AFL distribution, perhaps we'd get less because we're not 'growing the game Australia-wide'.

Those who are pissed off with his public commentary are HFC lovers first and foremost, so you can take this “kennett hater” crap elsewhere because it’s clear who is wedded to a particular side of politics.
Your preference for abuse over fact is clear.

Your preference for abuse over fact is clear.
yeah, here’s our brilliant president once again keeping it all about the HFC.

Just utterly brilliant PR for the Hawthorn brand once more from this antiquated political has-been.

but of course, you have no issue with this because you value his politics over the Hawthorn football club.

Please explain how they were taken out of context.
I didn’t hear the interview so someone may correct me but I did read that he was asked “Would HFC (play more games or relocate) to Tassie ?”
Not sure which as I didn’t think much of it.
To which he replied “nothings out of the question”

All of a sudden Jeff said as fact that we would consider relocating

As I said, someone may have heard the interview & can give a more accurate summary

yeah, here’s our brilliant president once again keeping it all about the HFC.

Just utterly brilliant PR for the Hawthorn brand once more from this antiquated political has-been.

but of course, you have no issue with this because you value his politics over the Hawthorn football club.

And seriously, how anyone who claims to be a Hawthorn supporter can be ok with this is absolutely mind blowing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back