Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL: SEN
WHY HAWTHORN GETS “OFFENDED” BY TASMANIA CRITICS

Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves says the club gets offended when critics claim they haven't done enough to grow the game in Tasmania. The Tasmania-Hawks partnership began in 2001 and has grown over a period of time, with the state becaming a naming rights sponsor of the club in 2006.

Hawthorn play four games per season in Launceston with its current deal with the Tasmanian Government worth close to $20 million.

AFL: SEN
WHY HAWTHORN GETS “OFFENDED” BY TASMANIA CRITICS

Hawthorn CEO Justin Reeves says the club gets offended when critics claim they haven't done enough to grow the game in Tasmania. The Tasmania-Hawks partnership began in 2001 and has grown over a period of time, with the state becaming a naming rights sponsor of the club in 2006.

Hawthorn play four games per season in Launceston with its current deal with the Tasmanian Government worth close to $20 million.

Oh look, a professional adult is talking sense and doesn’t need to get cute with relocation talk to do it.

Both sides are correct. Stagnation at lower levels is their major concern. If Jeff is so passionate maybe he can mobilise the AFL etc to address this.

Hawks can’t do it on their own, their efforts have been commendable but it’s not enough in a more general sense

I hope Jeff’s dealings with crown are squeaky clean, but he’s hardly a neutral observer

Anyone defending Kennett because they agree with his politics should be ashamed of themselves.
As should anyone attacking him because of them.

He was a Liberal Premier of Victoria ffs no one should be surprised or offended if he attacks a Labor Premier.
He has an absolute right to criticize or praise as he sees fit.
He was also a loud mouth campaigner his entire public life, so it should shock nobody that he is still a loud mouth campaigner.

I personally have always been fine with Jeff being Hawthorn President if for no other reason than it removed any possibility of having him inflicted on us as Premier again.

HOWEVER the second the President of our club starts calling us the Tassie Hawks and countenancing the possibility of us relocating to another state is the second the traitorous bastard should be banned from ever watching another Hawthorn game let alone be allowed to lead our proud club.

Anyone defending Kennett because they agree with his politics should be ashamed of themselves.
As should anyone attacking him because of them.

He was a Liberal Premier of Victoria ffs no one should be surprised or offended if he attacks a Labor Premier.
He has an absolute right to criticize or praise as he sees fit.
He was also a loud mouth campaigner his entire public life, so it should shock nobody that he is still a loud mouth campaigner.

I personally have always been fine with Jeff being Hawthorn President if for no other reason than it removed any possibility of having him inflicted on us as Premier again.

HOWEVER the second the President of our club starts calling us the Tassie Hawks and countenancing the possibility of us relocating to another state is the second the traitorous bastard should be banned from ever watching another Hawthorn game let alone be allowed to lead our proud club.

Attacking the premier is his right, sure - but when he does it on TV emblazoned in Hawthorn gear while president of our club while we’re fighting for state government funding isn’t exactly a genius move now.

Attacking the premier is his right, sure - but when he does it on TV emblazoned in Hawthorn gear while president of our club while we’re fighting for state government funding isn’t exactly a genius move now.
I agree it seems an incredibly stupid move but what do I know?
Maybe he figures it will guarantee us funding from the LNP when they next win office in 2057.

I appreciate and respect the angst....

If he had refereed to us as the Samsung Hawks when Samsung were our major sponsor, would that have caused the same level of angst?
Or the Wynvale Hawks?
I mean, Tassie are our major sponsor...

Just a question..

I appreciate and respect the angst....

If he had refereed to us as the Samsung Hawks when Samsung were our major sponsor, would that have caused the same level of angst?
Or the Wynvale Hawks?
I mean, Tassie are our major sponsor...

Just a question..
Are you just going to ignore that he said he was open to looking at relocation to Tassie?

Context matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah if we operate out of the Samsung headquarters we have the advantage of never losing a game ever again

granted we won't be winning any either, but hey, ill take it

Having worked over there as a contractor for Samsung, the Samsung HQ (at least back in '08) makes Waverley look like Versailles...

Only thing I like about that article is saying Mitchell is no certainty to take the reins as coach. McRae is incredibly well regarded and I would be opposed to him taking over at some point if the wraps are accurate.

Interesting article. Can someone point me where Jeff has definitively said this is Clarko last?
The entire premise of the article is based on something JGK said after our loss to Melbourne last year. I'd say that it has little or no relevance to what is happening right now.
Not sure he did say, he may have, but I do recall Jeff saying recently that Clarko wouldn't be going anywhere

It's a story made from an opinion.

They'll keep running the same article year after year, and when he finally does coach his last year, they'll claim credit for being right/having the inside scoop etc bulldust. Similar to the annual doomsday prophecy projections that surprisingly never eventuate.

Not sure he did say, he may have, but I do recall Jeff saying recently that Clarko wouldn't be going anywhere

It's a story made from an opinion.
Exactly.

Things have moved on substantially since then. The optimism created from the past two weeks isn't a mirage.

Only thing I like about that article is saying Mitchell is no certainty to take the reins as coach. McRae is incredibly well regarded and I would be opposed to him taking over at some point if the wraps are accurate.

Chris Newman has also been highly regarded internally as a senior coach in waiting. Not sure whether that's still the case.

And there's always the possibility that another club will approach Mitchell with an offer to be their senior coach before there is a need to transition from Clarkson to a new senior coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back