Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Removing Jeff Kennett as President is no longer an issue and in the best interests of the club Andy Gowers, Charles Spicer and Simon Taylor withdrew their nominations. Jennifer Holdstock has chosen to stand for the board which is her right however personally I'm not inspired by her statement. Tim Shearer is supported by Peter Hudson and David Parkin and is a key person in the club's fundraising which is critical for the Kennedy Community Centre. I certainly will not cut off my nose to spite my face so I'll be voting for Ian Silk and Tim Shearer.

Yeah. Shearer's whole interview wasn't overly compelling, but Cornes had about another paragraph of his statement before Shearer stated that he agreed with him. The Tweet was worse than the interview.
The tweet was a fabrication. Let's be honest.

Typical SEN rubbish.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The Board created a dumb and near impossible target and then charged Clarko with delivering on the bluster.
Clarko gave a blue print of the type of players it would take and how he wanted the Club to go about it, and is probably the easy out to blame for non delivery.

And now you want Sam to be part of the same idiotic prophecy making????
I know you look to try and even up every Clarko slight by setting unreasonable and unfair expectations for Sam, as though to see Sam fail would illustrate better how hard done by Alistaire was, but as a supporter you should get your head up out of your arse and just want a sustaniable path to success for the team.
The people at board level who dreamed up this dream thought bubble should similarly be held to account.

Maybe just let brand new coach Mitchell to get a run at training and developing this team so that he has a chance to get us back up the ladder and contending again?
Or not, and you can continue your childish potting.

I want Sam to succeed and wonder how they are judging him. Has Kennett mellowed
since wearing his ridiculous jacket and publicly saying Clarko could have a spell in the twos.
Sam does not need that s**t……

Sorry if I came across as you suggest

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The mis handling of the Clarko handover

the commenting by Jeff on trading during trade week

the commenting by this guy on the list in draft week (including live trading)

the scapegoating of Clarko for list management - ‘ 2 flags in 5 years’ anyone now ‘we are quite a few years from our next flag’

Clearly the board needed changes more than the footy dept (but what’s done is done)
the board desperately needs changes, and quickly

let’s use the garvey removal as a benchmark. Seems quite minor compared to this. Remove kennett

we, and the Sammy the coach going forward, deserve better

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The mis handling of the Clarko handover

the commenting by Jeff on trading during trade week

the commenting by this guy on the list in draft week (including live trading)

the scapegoating of Clarko for list management - ‘ 2 flags in 5 years’ anyone now ‘we are quite a few years from our next flag’

Clearly the board needed changes more than the footy dept (but what’s done is done)
the board desperately needs changes, and quickly

let’s use the garvey removal as a benchmark. Seems quite minor compared to this. Remove kennett

we, and the Sammy the coach going forward, deserve better
Agree with everything you have said. Shearer must be a dimwit to give the media food like that.

I’m not sure how many more times it needs to be explained that Clarkson was a key driver behind our list strategy.

He wasn’t scapegoated, he was a key voice behind the push to top up and go again, which was sold to the board. He was then in charge while we bounced around the bottom 4 for large parts of the last two seasons, while being paid $1.3+mill.

There is risk vs reward in any of these decisions, and sure we all backed in Clarkson to take us back to the glory that he’d previously delivered, but in this instance the risk of the top up not being completed and successful became real. He wasn’t scapegoated.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I’m not sure how many more times it needs to be explained that Clarkson was a key driver behind our list strategy.

He wasn’t scapegoated, he was a key voice behind the push to top up and go again, which was sold to the board. He was then in charge while we bounced around the bottom 4 for large parts of the last two seasons, while being paid $1.3+mill.

There is risk vs reward in any of these decisions, and sure we all backed in Clarkson to take us back to the glory that he’d previously delivered, but in this instance the risk of the top up not being completed and successful became real. He wasn’t scapegoated.
Whatever the board guy was pretty loose in draft week I'd be interested in your put down of that

Whatever the board guy was pretty loose in draft week I'd be interested in your put down of that
Did you listen to the audio?

He didn’t paint as bleak a picture as the SEN grabs suggested.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I'll say this, Clarko may carry significant responsibility for a failed strategy, but until the others who both participated, approved, and enacted the failed strategy similarly put up their hands and say "I stuffed up too, I need to take responsibilty just as our head coach was required to, and if that means someone else should be in my position then that's as it should be", then it's fair to say Clarko is being scapegoated.

Not that he was unjustly held to account, but that the rest of the Hawthorn board, administration, coaching staff are also to blame for our current position. If they want to say they were strongarmed by Clarko and had reservations they spoke out about at the time, but wrongly aquiesced to a larger than life and powerful club figure in Clarkson, that's fine. But again, we'd at least know they are not the type to stand up for what they believe is wrong and perhaps should not be entrusted with such decisions in the future.

Just doing the right thing and owning their personal failures would inspire me with much more confidence that they are the right people to push forward with a new direction for the Club, at least until such time as fresh and well qualified candidates can replace them.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did you listen to the audio?

He didn’t paint as bleak a picture as the SEN grabs suggested.
But this is the danger of speaking to the media. It's a two edged sword. My rule #6 of a happy life. If you don't have the smarts to do it well, don't do it.

Why was he even talking to the media?
What benefit was it to HFC?

Dimwit.

So Shearer agrees with Kane Cornes.

I know who I won't be voting for

Back