Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Re these most recent comments from Jeff, it makes me queasy thinking about it but I can see Jeff's departure being every bit as gut wrenching to get over the line as Clako's.
Too much ego and id, too little about what's best for the Club.
Can't ******* believe it to be honest, but that's what you get when you tell a meglomaniac he's the only one that can come in and 'save' the Club, he'll believe every word of it.

A Hawthorn board member seeking re-election has called for Hawks president Jeff Kennett to be allowed to exit the club “with the dignity he deserves”.
Hawthorn board member Tim Shearer, who is responsible for fundraising for the Hawks’ new Dingley base, said he would hate to see Kennett leaving the club in the way that Eddie McGuire did at Collingwood earlier this year.

“Jeff should bow out with the dignity and respect he deserves,” Shearer said, referring to Kennett’s announcement that he would leave sooner than his last term as president, which concludes at the end of 2023.
“He should be given the dignity and respect that he deserves because he’s been a colossal contributor to the club.

“I’m honoured to know Jeff and have really enjoyed working with him.”
Shearer, who works for Scotch College and is president of Old Scotch in the amateurs, said he had been saddened by the nature of McGuire’s exit from Collingwood - which followed his botched response to the Do Better report - and did not want to see Kennett, as such a great servant, bow out in that way.
“It saddened me that Eddie, who had done so much for Collingwood, left the club in the way that he did, and I would hate to see that happen to Jeff.”
Shearer said Kennett and McGuire were “great characters” of the game who had contributed much and would be missed.

“We will miss people like Jeff and Eddie, when you end up with a lot of people who are going to bowl 10 overs for 0-40.

“They’re great characters who’ve contributed a lot to the game.”
Kennett has indicated a willingness to leave earlier than his term, the club board agreeing to a form a committee - of board members and others - to find the next president by June 30 next year.
The expectation of “Hawks for Change,” which has pushed for Kennett to leave sooner than his full term, is that Kennett will step down next year some time.
Shearer is seeking one of three candidates seeking two board positions. Ex-Australian Super boss Ian Silk and lawyer and long-time supporter Jennifer Holdstock are also vying for those positions. Silk, who is backed by both “Hawks for Change” and the board, is heavily favoured to win one of those berths.

Shearer’s pitch to members is that he should be allowed to continue his role as the board member responsible for fundraising for Dingley, a project that he said would end up costing $90m-$100m, but would be initially completed for $80m. The Hawks have raised $17.5m of the required $40m from individual donations.
“I think I’ve got the skill set and experience to drive the fundraising of $22.5 million.”
As a member of the board for three years, Shearer was also involved in the contentious decision to pay out Alastair Clarkson the final year of his contract and expedite the handover to Sam Mitchell - a decision he stands by, saying that Clarkson and the club had become “misaligned” on the direction of list management.
“I stand by the decision, that Alastair situation ... with every year that’s gone, we were becoming more strategically misaligned in terms of the direction we needed.”
Clarkson had believed the club could continue to use free agency and trades to “challenge”.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...each-of-the-18-afl-clubs-20211124-p59btk.html
“I strongly believed we needed to go back to the draft.
“Sam needs to be given support and time. He needs to be given a lot of time. There will not be a quick fix as far as I’m concerned.”
Shearer said to get the initial target of $80m, the club needed $40m, of which it had already raised $17.5m - counting the astonishing $10m donated by ex-vice president and benefactor Geoff Harris. The club had pledges of $15m from the federal government, an expected $15m from the Victorian government and $5m from the local council, the city of Kingston.
Shearer said of his election opponents: “We are going into an election and I totally respect their right to contest.”

The Hawks are expecting only a small portion - perhaps less than 10 per cent of the club’s 44,000 eligible members - to vote.
In his role as head of fundraising for Scotch, Shearer also coaches the year nine first team. He has coached Bulldogs 2020 No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, and 2021 No.2 pick Sam Darcy and young father-son Hawk Finn Maginness, the former pair having joined the school as part of an Indigenous program

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Again we assume shearer agreed with Kennett 2 flags in 5 years…but also privately thought there should be more drafting

does he see the contradiction, or did they just keep quiet for fear of contradicting Jeff?

Or has he been mis quoted again? He’s not putting that right it seems

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A Hawthorn board member seeking re-election has called for Hawks president Jeff Kennett to be allowed to exit the club “with the dignity he deserves”.
Hawthorn board member Tim Shearer, who is responsible for fundraising for the Hawks’ new Dingley base, said he would hate to see Kennett leaving the club in the way that Eddie McGuire did at Collingwood earlier this year.

“Jeff should bow out with the dignity and respect he deserves,” Shearer said, referring to Kennett’s announcement that he would leave sooner than his last term as president, which concludes at the end of 2023.
“He should be given the dignity and respect that he deserves because he’s been a colossal contributor to the club.

Shearer, who works for Scotch College and is president of Old Scotch in the amateurs, said he had been saddened by the nature of McGuire’s exit from Collingwood - which followed his botched response to the Do Better report - and did not want to see Kennett, as such a great servant, bow out in that way.
“It saddened me that Eddie, who had done so much for Collingwood, left the club in the way that he did, and I would hate to see that happen to Jeff.”
Shearer said Kennett and McGuire were “great characters” of the game who had contributed much and would be missed.

“We will miss people like Jeff and Eddie, when you end up with a lot of people who are going to bowl 10 overs for 0-40.

Kennett has indicated a willingness to leave earlier than his term, the club board agreeing to a form a committee - of board members and others - to find the next president by June 30 next year.
The expectation of “Hawks for Change,” which has pushed for Kennett to leave sooner than his full term, is that Kennett will step down next year some time.
Shearer is seeking one of three candidates seeking two board positions. Ex-Australian Super boss Ian Silk and lawyer and long-time supporter Jennifer Holdstock are also vying for those positions. Silk, who is backed by both “Hawks for Change” and the board, is heavily favoured to win one of those berths.

Shearer’s pitch to members is that he should be allowed to continue his role as the board member responsible for fundraising for Dingley, a project that he said would end up costing $90m-$100m, but would be initially completed for $80m. The Hawks have raised $17.5m of the required $40m from individual donations.
“I think I’ve got the skill set and experience to drive the fundraising of $22.5 million.”
As a member of the board for three years, Shearer was also involved in the contentious decision to pay out Alastair Clarkson the final year of his contract and expedite the handover to Sam Mitchell - a decision he stands by, saying that Clarkson and the club had become “misaligned” on the direction of list management.
“I stand by the decision, that Alastair situation ... with every year that’s gone, we were becoming more strategically misaligned in terms of the direction we needed.”
Clarkson had believed the club could continue to use free agency and trades to “challenge”.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...each-of-the-18-afl-clubs-20211124-p59btk.html
“Sam needs to be given support and time. He needs to be given a lot of time. There will not be a quick fix as far as I’m concerned.”
Shearer said to get the initial target of $80m, the club needed $40m, of which it had already raised $17.5m - counting the astonishing $10m donated by ex-vice president and benefactor Geoff Harris. The club had pledges of $15m from the federal government, an expected $15m from the Victorian government and $5m from the local council, the city of Kingston.
Shearer said of his election opponents: “We are going into an election and I totally respect their right to contest.”

The Hawks are expecting only a small portion - perhaps less than 10 per cent of the club’s 44,000 eligible members - to vote.
In his role as head of fundraising for Scotch, Shearer also coaches the year nine first team. He has coached Bulldogs 2020 No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, and 2021 No.2 pick Sam Darcy and young father-son Hawk Finn Maginness, the former pair having joined the school as part of an Indigenous program
McGuire? The guy that ignored a racist culture at the pies and had many a racist gaffe of his own?

Nothing sad about McGuire being forced out. Shearer must still think he lives in the 80’s or something.

How we kept Kennett given his interest in certain toys was a miracle of itself. It certainly won’t be a sad day to see him go.

I really hope we keep Shearer out of the media from now on.

Shearer and any other Jeff enthusiasts on the board need to realise this is not about what is best for Jeff or what is right for Jeff - it is about what is right and best for the HAWTHORN FOOTBALL CLUB. Loyalty and sentimentality had no place in the Clarkson decision by the board - as such this should also apply to the presidency.

McGuire? The guy that ignored a racist culture at the pies and had many a racist gaffe of his own?

Nothing sad about McGuire being forced out. Shearer must still think he lives in the 80’s or something.

How we kept Kennett given his interest in certain toys was a miracle of itself. It certainly won’t be a sad day to see him go.

I really hope we keep Shearer out of the media from now on.

I agree.
I guess the point is that people like Eddie and Jeff contribute greatly to a club over many years and that shouldn't be forgotten when they depart, regardless of the circumstances.

Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shearer is clearly out of touch when it comes to many members’ concerns about the lack of dignity that jeff afforded to clarko. I was on the fence about shearer but this is on the nose. What does he gain by attaching himself to jeff? It would be one thing to advocate for an orderly process but this needs to be about what is best for the club not about one person’s contribution or legacy.

H4C just sent an email out stating there's no change in events as far as they're concerned and that the nominations committee will be formed after the AGM. This is a direct quote from the email:

"The process for change is well and truly underway, with a deadline of 30 June 2022 for the next president of the Hawthorn Football Club to be announced'

Shearer needs to stay out of the media. Point blank.

Yup. He might be good at schmoozing at community events but he's not exactly a deft touch when it comes to the media. The press will have him on speed dial now too because he is seemingly good for a juicy quote. Go back to the fundraising conversations where you get your best work done, Tim.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shearer really shouldn't open his mouth. Showing himself to be every bit the Kennett 'yes man' I thought he was.
Agree.
Why is he even talking to the press?
How is this helping HFC?
From what I see none of it is advancing the cause of the club, and every time he's in the press he sounds like Jeff mouth piece rather than representing the club. Perhaps he is subbing for Jeff?
Unfortunately he is also is very bad dealing with the media and just gives more ammo to the media, who are not our friends.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
According to the article:

Take out the Harris donation and weve raised just $7.5m in private donations over 5 years.

Is his record as a fundraiser even that impressive?

he admits it himself as a fact
He admits that we'd have raised 10X without him? Putting us at about $175m by now, on an approx. $100m raise?

Or, he admitted that we didn't secure State Govt. funding as a result of his criticism of them?

Back