Jenkins - The perfect prototype for the new rule changes?

Remove this Banner Ad

If the new rules somehow make JJ actually use his speed, height, bulk and to put up 2 hands in a marking contest rather than just one then yes they will help him flourish. I’m not holding my breath, but he did show some signs last year with the old rules so you never know.

If the new rules somehow make JJ actually use his speed, height, bulk and to put up 2 hands in a marking contest rather than just one then yes they will help him flourish. I’m not holding my breath, but he did show some signs last year with the old rules so you never know.

I actually think it will benefit his natural running game, and his natural attributes and athleticism, running power etc and not force him to be the player people expect him to be like you.

I can't find a new rule book for 2019, but equally nothing in the articles written about the rule changes suggests it applies beyond the first bounce. Any source for that claim?

I’m pretty sure they don’t write down the rules, so they can change them after 2 weeks, where the new rules don’t work. Happens every year.

I actually think Sloane might benefit the most from the new rules. He's known to struggle a bit with the tag. Now you can't have 2-3 players hanging off him.
Shouldn’t make a difference for a centre bounce up for midfielders, the centre square has always only had 4 a side it’s the starting with 7/8 in defence which is the only real change.

Yes, and no. Centre bounces being pressure-less have always been very dangerous, so I doubt it'll have as big of an impact as what your stating, and yes, it is our main risk this season seeing pressure will become even more important.

No, Brouch can't. However if he is there you remove a weak link from last year , and helps strengthens that next tier. That said, I reckon there would be a fair bit of value in doing something similar to how small forwards have developed, and just using a super fast, aggro guy to give defense in the midfield to try to make sure you nullify as much as possible.

I disagree, we'd have replaced Sauce last year had O'Brien not been wiped out for the season early on. Even if it was just for a little period to have worked out if we need a new ruck or not.
Will there be a bit more of a focus on manning up at centre bounces, so there is less chance of opposition having easy exits from centre, if sauce is so poor in this regard.

One thing with the kick ins and just going for distance, if you lose it it’s going to open you up to a quick re-entry.

You need a strong mark to kick to and I don’t think we have that.

Jacobs is an average mark for a big man. Tex is just ok. The perfect player would have been Gov. Doedee is our best mark but he’s not going to be in position.

Going to be interesting to see how we handle this.

Jacobs is an average mark for a big man. Tex is just ok. The perfect player would have been Gov. Doedee is our best mark but he’s not going to be in position.

I would have agreed with you before last year. I think it was mainly because he didn't give a s**t, but he was just flying for everything, recklessly, bringing his opponent with him, even if we had a player in better position to take the mark, he was just a wrecjig ball and didn't take many marks last year, and he couldn't have cared less whether it fell to advantage or not. Keep in mind this is a player I loved the year before and I believe I said we should offer him 700k a year for 10 years because in 10 years time that will look like a steal when players are getting 2.4mil a yr.

He probably just didn't give a s**t last year, but it was a bit like dangerfield, risky, one way and if he *s it up he *s it up for the whole team and structure . Looks great when he grabs one, but hurts you when he dropped it and it went straight to the oppo, which he did a lot of last year. Again a lot like danger and his terrible disposals and one way running.

One thing with the kick ins and just going for distance, if you lose it it’s going to open you up to a quick re-entry.

Going to be interesting to see how we handle this.
Or we kick it 40m ish to another good kick like Milera or Seedsman who can then launch it into our attacking area quickly.

We need to mix it up kicking out, so long as we have quick movement... unless we are slowing the game down.

I would have agreed with you before last year. I think it was mainly because he didn't give a s**t, but he was just flying for everything, recklessly, bringing his opponent with him, even if we had a player in better position to take the mark, he was just a wrecjig ball and didn't take many marks last year, and he couldn't have cared less whether it fell to advantage or not. Keep in mind this is a player I loved the year before and I believe I said we should offer him 700k a year for 10 years because in 10 years time that will look like a steal when players are getting 2.4mil a yr.

He probably just didn't give a s**t last year, but it was a bit like dangerfield, risky, one way and if he ****s it up he ****s it up for the whole team and structure . Looks great when he grabs one, but hurts you when he dropped it and it went straight to the oppo, which he did a lot of last year. Again a lot like danger and his terrible disposals and one way running.
Sorry mate who are you referring to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or we kick it 40m ish to another good kick like Milera or Seedsman who can then launch it into our attacking area quickly.

We need to mix it up kicking out, so long as we have quick movement... unless we are slowing the game down.
Agree, that’s what I’m thinking, pass to either Atkins, Seeds or Milera 40 out and let them hit the half forward line.

If we become predictable with Smith roosting the ball, the opposition will just plan for it and we lose all advantage.

You would assume if he stayed he attitude would have been different, but we do lack now a strong marking option for the long kick out.
Yeah, if he has the year he had in 2017 this year then it was obviously because he had already checked out which is what it looked like. Hopefully he continues to spud it up tho.

I think as others have said, 40m kick or even less to milera, Gibbs, laird, Smith, and run it out is probably our best option from a kick in. On the rare occasion where we are forced to go the long kick up the guts I'm guessing we would have Tex and Jenkins pushing forward and Jacobs as the pillar to try and at least knock it on over the back.

While maybe not the best, I think we have options.

Anyone watching this Sydney match? I thought this young blakey fella looked pretty ordinary, ut he's settled and reminds me A LOT of Trent hentschel. Very good at ground level, very tall, good kick, he just needs to fill out. Gonna be a player.

I actually think it will benefit his natural running game, and his natural attributes and athleticism, running power etc and not force him to be the player people expect him to be like you.
I want him to be all that and to take a contested mark or two, as tall forwards should. I’m sure the coaches want the same thing

Still can't admit you were wrong in the hartigan thread lol. Weak. Ignored.
Hello? Piss weak mate, You’ve claimed Hartigan is not best 22, yet he’s still playing, you’ve also claimed JJ is suited to the new rules and he’s playing in the 2’s, add in ROB being the worst ever ruckman to play AFL, your ideas need a bit of polishing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back