List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Let the saltyness begin...

Luv how FS was a thing and we did well out of it so they changed the rules.

We did well from pick trading and drafting so they changed the rules. As such we have had one pick inside top 10 since 2006 - pick 10 for Cocky - that has yet to yield more than 40 games.

They introduce FA and we start doing well out if that.. and the complaints come..

They are perpetually pissed at our success in any one element

Go Catters

Luv how FS was a thing and we did well out of it so they changed the rules.

We did well from pick trading and drafting so they changed the rules. As such we have had one pick inside top 10 since 2006 - pick 10 for Cocky - that has yet to yield more than 40 games.

They introduce FA and we start doing well out if that.. and the complaints come..

They are perpetually pissed at our success in any one element

Go Catters

All true but maybe there is something we can learn from Richmond supporters.. we have to embrace the black hat. Maybe I like the white hat too much.. the draft is clean and fresh .... but dragging a FA or trading in a player from someone like Gold Coast or GWS is a black hat action. I guess Cleveland can be as salty as they want ... Lakers say hello.

I think he goes back to the VFL and plies his trade as a ruckman so that he's ready for when Stanley retires, or gets moved forward if Hawk retires first.

Or breaks down - I don't think Stanleys career will be a long one. I do not want to lose Sav, he could literally be anything and those guys are worth carrying for a few years.

I hear Ash Barty will present the premiership cup to the Tigers if they win, Can we request Jeremy Cameron to present the premiership cup to us if we get the job done on Saturday night ?.

Not a bad way to welcome him to the club.

Complicated by the fact that the clubs have already, undoubtedly, sketched out the rough parameters of a deal.
They are most likely already at the what cheese to have with the wine stage,while both clubs now look to convince their members they have forced the best possible outcome.

Except for the restricted free agent part.

Cool - make him stay then, or force him into the draft :)

That'll make a nice big billboard for players thinking of coming to your club in the future "DO NOT COME HERE. THEY OFFER YOU UNDERS EVEN WHEN YOU THREATEN TO LEAVE, THEN WHEN YOU DO GO TO LEAVE THEY FINALLY PULL OUT THE CASH AND MAKE THINGS DIFFICULT"

I posted this last year in a different context but feel it is relevant now when the shoe is on the other foot:

I think RFA and a "normal trade scenario" would tend to play out differently in terms of the value of the trade and the likelihood of a trade occurring for a few reasons:

1. Once a player wants to leave his "original" club is reasonably inclined to let him go. I.e. you don't want a player around who doesn't want to be there. There's also been a long period of service and a sense of "he has paid his dues".

2. Generally, the original club accepts compensation which either exceeds or roughly approximates the value of a player (with some exceptions - e.g. Buddy). So this narrows the circumstances in which an RFA trade will be needed.

3. But most importantly, when a club is minded to want to trade in an RFA situation they must be confident they will do better from the trade than the compo. The surest way of this occurring is to pre-arrange the trade with the counterparty to the trade. This seems to be what happened in the Dangerfield situation such that he the clubs were in negotiations for weeks before the trade period opened and on the first day of the trade period the deal was lodged. There was no need for the RFA bid to take place. Adelaide agreed to a first round pick, a second round pick and Dean Gore with pick 50 going back to Geelong. I think everyone knew at the time that Geelong was not paying full value there. Why did Geelong not have to pay full value? Because Geelong was willing to come to the table and trade rather than force the RFA path (which carried risk and uncertainty for Adelaide) and Adelaide was happy to get more than the AFL's compensation pick and was able to say so to its fans. Had Adelaide insisted on, say two first round picks (which was speculated in the media at the time), Geelong could have resisted and pursued the RFA path which could have seen Adelaide get less or even nothing in the worst case scenario.

TL;DR - RFA causes clubs to come together and negotiate and reach agreement because there are outside options, albeit riskier ones that it's best to avoid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this last year in a different context but feel it is relevant now when the shoe is on the other foot:

I think RFA and a "normal trade scenario" would tend to play out differently in terms of the value of the trade and the likelihood of a trade occurring for a few reasons:

1. Once a player wants to leave his "original" club is reasonably inclined to let him go. I.e. you don't want a player around who doesn't want to be there. There's also been a long period of service and a sense of "he has paid his dues".

2. Generally, the original club accepts compensation which either exceeds or roughly approximates the value of a player (with some exceptions - e.g. Buddy). So this narrows the circumstances in which an RFA trade will be needed.

3. But most importantly, when a club is minded to want to trade in an RFA situation they must be confident they will do better from the trade than the compo. The surest way of this occurring is to pre-arrange the trade with the counterparty to the trade. This seems to be what happened in the Dangerfield situation such that he the clubs were in negotiations for weeks before the trade period opened and on the first day of the trade period the deal was lodged. There was no need for the RFA bid to take place. Adelaide agreed to a first round pick, a second round pick and Dean Gore with pick 50 going back to Geelong. I think everyone knew at the time that Geelong was not paying full value there. Why did Geelong not have to pay full value? Because Geelong was willing to come to the table and trade rather than force the RFA path (which carried risk and uncertainty for Adelaide) and Adelaide was happy to get more than the AFL's compensation pick and was able to say so to its fans. Had Adelaide insisted on, say two first round picks (which was speculated in the media at the time), Geelong could have resisted and pursued the RFA path which could have seen Adelaide get less or even nothing in the worst case scenario.

TL;DR - RFA causes clubs to come together and negotiate and reach agreement because there are outside options, albeit riskier ones that it's best to avoid.

So all that said (and well said, I might add), what do you think the outcome is likely to be, tradewise?

So all that said (and well said, I might add), what do you think the outcome is likely to be, tradewise?
Something approximating two picks in the teens.

Let's be honest, 90% of the melting from other supporter groups is purely because we are in the Grand Final AND look like getting Cameron, this is no different to Lynch to Richmond a few years ago, there was plenty of melting then aswell.
If we had lost the prelim, or even the semi to the pies like most expected, then the outcry would be hugely diminished.

Let's be honest, 90% of the melting from other supporter groups is purely because we are in the Grand Final AND look like getting Cameron, this is no different to Lynch to Richmond a few years ago, there was plenty of melting then aswell.
If we had lost the prelim, or even the semi to the pies like most expected, then the outcry would be hugely diminished.
Not so sure about that some of the melting is what you are saying but a fair bit is because we just wont drop down and keep competing

Something approximating two picks in the teens.
Where would that stand compared to the compo pick?another factor here is if i'm right as it stands GWS don't have any picks until 3rd round having traded their fist rounder to the Crows last year.so they were not to worried about their list, they may yet be happy with pick 9? compo.

Where would that stand compared to the compo pick?another factor here is if i'm right as it stands GWS don't have any picks until 3rd round having traded their fist rounder to the Crows last year.so they were not to worried about their list, they may yet be happy with pick 9? compo.
It’s hard to say.

Assume Essendon gets a compo pick for Daniher, that pushes GWS best possible compo for Williams/Cameron to 10/11.

So if GWS doesn’t accept Cameron compo our picks go out to 13, 17 and 19. Would they prefer 13 and 17 to 11? Probably.

It’s hard to say.

Assume Essendon gets a compo pick for Daniher, that pushes GWS best possible compo for Williams/Cameron to 10/11.

So if GWS doesn’t accept Cameron compo our picks go out to 13, 17 and 19. Would they prefer 13 and 17 to 11? Probably.
Yep. And to tip it over the edge they can at least say they made us give something up to get him.

PS Give em 19 instead of 17.

The other half is that we're Geelong. If we were the Lions, the outcry would be diminished again.

You can tell this because of all the "how can they afford..." comments

So I now think Fred was right earlier it will be the Patrick Dangerfield model,our first rounder + second rounder + fringe player and GWS 46 back.

Back