List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't help but feel that if we lose the picks we got in the Kelly deal for Cameron, we're still coming out slightly behind. Admittedly, Kelly wasn't happy and his form this year hasn't been as great, but he was massive for us and could've been anything if he had been content to stay. Cameron will be 28 next year, so he has maybe 3 years left in him as a genuine A+ forward before he slides. Kelly had years on him, so the value differential isn't really compensated if we have to give those picks up for Cameron. Am I missing anything here?

Hawkins is 32 and still the AA FF . Cameron finished at 31 ? might be if injury hits but he is likely to be very valuable 5 + years. As others have pointed out Kelly (midfielders) are easier to replace = Mena,Guth and Parf. Replacing a KPF is much tougher.

Cameron grew up in Dartmoor, and yes it's Western Victoria but I wouldn't say within the Geelong region - it's roughly 300km from Geelong or 368km from Melbourne

Never said his decision wasn't about being closer to family or anything of the sort - unless he comments on reasons behind his decision then it will be speculation. What I said is that most of our FA or recent trade acquisitions have tended to have connections to Geelong either the region or club: Dangerfield, Henderson, Steven, Dahlhaus, Ablett & Rohan are from the Geelong region, while Scooter obviously had 2 brothers involved with the club

With Cameron there's no clear connection to Geelong
At this stage there isn't, but we don't really know anything at this stage. I would say that Geelong being the club that it is has been the determining factor.

However, being a regional club and being the closest AFL club geographically to his home town would have to contribute somewhat.

Time will tell - I'm sure the question will be asked of him.

3 first rounders thanks.

I get the impression you won't be able to match our money to force a trade or, if you can, it won't be the ideal scenario. Having said that, we usually come to the table with a fair deal. Definitely two first round picks, not sure you'll get the third, not that I don't think he's worth three.

Loving the salty tears from everyone. They all forget we lost the GOAT at the height of his powers to one of these AFL made clubs and we were a pretty decent side at the time. Richmond got Lynch a year after they won a flag, Collingwood took Treloar, Adams and Hoskin Elliot and that is OK, but apperently free agency is killing the game because Cameron wants to get to Geelong. Swings and roundabouts I say.

I could not be happier or prouder to be a Geelong Football Club supporter right now. Go the mighty Cats!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iv got a feeling they will push Sav into maybe focusing him into playing Ruck...

It's really his only option now. Hawkins has a two (?) year deal, Danger will be 100% forward in the near future, and now Jezza is arriving too. At least Ratugolea can go into the ruck, the situation is much more dire for Kreuger, and Jenkins career is now over.

And thats why he cant get a game after being a lock at the start of the season as a foward. He has been pushed into a position he aint all that good at.
*ain’t ready for and ain’t better than at than Stanley

Jezza just ended Josh Jenkins career.
Jenkins to GWS?

Which i agree with. i even think blicavs might be slightly better as a ruckman then Sav.
Right now, yes. But the club has always spoken of him as a ruck prospect. No need to be concerned that he’s not the finished product at 22.

They've trade out of the draft last year, they have no real leverage, Adelaide had a higher pick in the draft. If the Williams free agency doesn't get them a first round pick then they're s**t out of luck, even if it does they're still in a bad position. If they threaten to match FA, we should make it clear that we'll take the Luke Ball approach, We have quite a few players on long term deal, to front load a portion of Cameron's deal.

I consider not getting Cameron less harmful for us then GWS either losing him for nothing or using a their Williams compensation first round pick to retain him.

In a lot of games GWS couldn't get it forward to him so his down year isn't all on him. I will try and find the inside 50 number for them later but it was abysmal for a lot of the year

Totals for the season (not including finals);
GWS had 649 inside 50s, they took 136 marks inside 50, 161 Centre Clearances.
Geelong had 685 inside 50s, they took 174 marks inside 50, 190 Centre Clearances.

Cameron had 37 i50s and took 21 marks inside 50. He had 82 score involvements. 24 goals, 13 behinds, 9 goal assists.
Hawkins had 25 i50s and took 57 marks inside 50. He had 119 score involvements. 42 goals, 25 behinds, 19 goal assists.
Both Hawkins and Cameron played 17 games, Hawkins averages 95.5% game time, Cameron averages 90% game time.

Back