What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
WARNING TO ALL VISITORS TO THE GEELONG BOARD. You are - for the most part - welcome to discuss the current list management & trading situation at Geelong. However, this is our board, so be respectful of the home board posters & don't inflame arguments (make your points succinctly and move on). And if you're just here to troll, then don't bother or you will be enjoying a holiday

Mad_Hatter

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
The thing about Cameron I found hilarious is people seem to think he won't get opportunity. When I saw people on other pages (generally from other flog clubs like Tiggies and Hawfies) that he won't recapture his form.

I watched a lot of football this year, including GWS, Cameron had a down year but being a key forward, getting delivery from a midfield who at times really didn't give a fu**, in a team that got pounded at times, isn't a good reflection on him.

The only way Cameron isn't in our top 2 goal kickers next year is either 1. he is played as a genuine CHF or higher up on the wing, or 2. He gets a serious injury.
If neither of those two unusual things occur, him and Hawkins will be our 2 main goal kickers next season.

Yeah I don't see it either, I genuinely think there's almost zero chance they don't both kick 50+ goals each.
Just too good of players in their own right (with strengths that actually compliment each other) not to hit the scoreboard consistently.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
It's yet to be proven. We've been told that every single acquisition has been outstanding from McIntosh and Rivers onwards (since 2012). In reality few have.
Its just a fact that its yet to be proven. I do think Cameron's best form coincided with GWS fast ball movement and when they played slow or tried to in 2020..he had his worst year. He also played well when there was a legit big boy like Patton when playing well etc. In the end yes its got to be proven., and we do have to see how it will work.

However Id say the players we have brought have proportional level quality , probably best shown by what we have paid for them... obviously that would not have worked if we actually gain RFA's. Id say Cameron is pumped up to Danger levels. We have paid a lot for those two , i would hope we pump the expectation ball up to max Kpa on him as we did for Danger. .. and he is not hidden in orange anymore. How will he be in the big market. Yes we are not Rich or Collingwood ..but he will be seen by more , and play in many more big games in the hoops than he has so far.

Id say optimism is high for any player we bring in , or why bring them in.

Dangerfield has been outstanding.
Rivers was very good.
Stanley has his Stanley moments but has still been miles better than any other ruck we have tried during the last 9 years.
Tuohy has been very good and very durable.
Henderson has always been high level for us when fit.
Rohan Dahlhaus etc have been perfectly fine considering what we paid for them (not much).

Apart from our failure to find a top shelf ruck we have clearly got a lot right.
yep
yep, although I think him coming in probably cost us someone.. Hamling who would have got games bar him being at Geelong
yep, has proved the trade out ..although Im sure plenty including myself thought 21 was paying for scotch fillet and taking home chuck beef.
yep hard to argue we have done well , but in a way its River revisited if we do not get games into the likes of Clark
Yepish, thought for a P1 , a KPF,KPD was worth the cost. Just KPD a little overs imo...ironically now a rookie and is at his most useful level
Yep, although I think both have show why they probably are not agrade. The sooner we have better players push them out the better

Last edited:

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
Its just a fact that its yet to be proven. I do think Cameron's best form coincided with GWS fast ball movement and when they played slow or tried to in 2020..he had his worst year. He also played well when there was a legit big boy like Patton when playing well etc. In the end yes its got to be proven., and we do have to see how it will work.

However Id say the players we have brought have proportional level quality , probably best shown by what we have paid for them... obviously that would not have worked if we actually gain RFA's. Id say Cameron is pumped up to Danger levels. We have paid a lot for those two , i would hope we pump the expectation ball up to max Kpa on him as we did for Danger. .. and he is not hidden in orange anymore. How will he be in the big market. Yes we are not Rich or Collingwood ..but he will be seen by more , and play in many more big games in the hoops than he has so far.

Id say optimism is high for any player we bring in , or why bring them in.

yep
yep, although I think him coming in probably cost us someone.. Hamling who would have got games bar him being at Geelong
yep, has proved the trade out ..although Im sure plenty including myself thought 21 was paying for scotch fillet and taking home chuck beef.
yep hard to argue we have done well , but in a way its River revisited if we do not get games into the likes of Clark
Yepish, thought for a P1 , a KPF,KPD was worth the cost. Just KPD a little overs imo...ironically now a rookie and is at his most useful level
Yep, although I think both have show why they probably are not agrade. The sooner we have better players push them out the better
We did a delist and re rookie attempt with hamling so we could main list blease it was him not rivers and stanley that cost stanley a spot. Agree with the rest of your post.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
We did a delist and re rookie attempt with hamling so we could main list blease it was him not rivers and stanley that cost stanley a spot. Agree with the rest of your post.
If Hamling had been played in Y3 things may have been different...but when you demote you really are conceding that something has not worked and you hope no one else likes him..

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm going to wait for the real thing and see what happens, because whilst they're both good players, that doesn't guarantee an on-field chemistry that will lead to the multitude of goals that are expected.

Many expected the Holy Trinity to be unbeatable too.......
To be fair, the combo of Ablett, Bartel & Corey was pretty bloody impressive

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
It was.

I was referring to the trinity of Ablett, Selwood and Danger that was expected, by some, to be a unbeatable, dominant force.
I'm aware of that, and in their prime they may well have been - funnily enough, we almost looked at our best when 2 of those guys moved to the forward lines

But as Partridge said - important to check birth certificates before making such claims

(Log in to remove this ad.)

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
My ideal forwardline/best 6:

HF. Higgins - Hawkins - Miers
FF. Danger - Cameron - Dahlhaus

In reality, danger is better for us a mid and can play 25% forward swapping with Higgins. Smith can spend minutes as a high half forward.

Miers needs to be closer to goal where his strengths of being a crafty goal kicker are.

I like Hawkins up the ground and having a more mobile line closer to goal. Hawk is a great kick going inside 50 but both Cameron and Hawkins can play FF/CHF well. Depends on match ups

Dahl is still our best pressure player and we need pressure in the modern game. But I’d like more goals from him. If our forwards worked as one with team pressure we may not need him. I’d like to see Close take his spot by exerting the same pressure but also being more dangerous around goal.

I want Simpson in the team who is a true mid but he may need to spend 50% on a hff to get games.

Rohan and Atkins are surplus for mine. Cameron essentially replaces Rohan in the side as that quick mobile marking player. Krueger the true collateral damage though with Cameron’s arrival. Jenkins was never a hope the second we got him.

I’d love to find room for sav. But not sure we can fit 3 talls?

Parfitt into 100% mid time for 2021 and beyond. He’s done his time as a mid playing in the forward line.

Last edited:

Partridge

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Dangerfield has been outstanding.
Rivers was very good.
Stanley has his Stanley moments but has still been miles better than any other ruck we have tried during the last 9 years.
Tuohy has been very good and very durable.
Henderson has always been high level for us when fit.
Rohan Dahlhaus etc have been perfectly fine considering what we paid for them (not much).

Apart from our failure to find a top shelf ruck we have clearly got a lot right.
I would consider what they do on the field to be far more important than what the cost is.

Surprised Steven wasn't on the list.

bombersboy

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
My ideal forwardline/best 6:

FF. Danger - Cameron - Dahlhaus

In reality, danger is better for us a mid and can play 25% forward swapping with Higgins. Smith can spend minutes as a high half forward.

Miers needs to be closer to goal where his strengths of being a crafty goal kicker are.

I like Hawkins up the ground and having a more mobile line closer to goal. Hawk is a great kick going inside 50 but both Cameron and Hawkins can play FF/CHF well. Depends on match ups

Dahl is still our best pressure player and we need pressure in the modern game. But I’d like more goals from him. If our forwards worked as one with team pressure we may not need him. I’d like to see Close take his spot by exerting the same pressure but also being more dangerous around goal.

I want Simpson in the team who is a true mid but he may need to spend 50% on a hff to get games.

Rohan and Atkins are surplus for mine. Cameron essentially replaces Rohan in the side as that quick mobile marking player. Krueger the true collateral damage though with Cameron’s arrival. Jenkins was never a hope the second we got him.

I’d love to find room for sav. But not sure we can fit 3 talls?

Parfitt into 100% mid time for 2021 and beyond. He’s done his time as a mid playing in the forward line.
I don't see Cameron as a replacement for Rohan. Rohan has genuine high end speed and creates perceived pressure as a result. His effort is at 100% percent and I think we need a player of his size and speed. Whilst I would like him to hold more marks he hits packs hard and is seldom out marked in those situations at least causing the ball to come to ground. If we play a longer kicking more direct game then his pace will be of even greater value.

Last edited:

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
FF. Kreuger - Cameron - Rohan

Danger in the middle resting in the forward line.
Blood Kreuger with an eye on the future
None of those three talls can ruck though..if we go a third tall it will be sav as he can ruck.

Kreugers best chance of getting games is as a key back to me.

Spearman

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
There will be strong competition for a forward line spot. There will be pressure on Daulhaus, Rohan and Miers to be consistently at their best. There's Evans, Taheny, Krugger and Close all improving. I expect Taheny and Evans to get an opportunity up front this year.
yes but only if that is made clear by the coaching staff, and in fact sincerely implemented by MC.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
None of those three talls can ruck though..if we go a third tall it will be sav as he can ruck.

Kreugers best chance of getting games is as a key back to me.
How we fit Blitz in will be key but it seems he is the relief ruck but what happens when we need him against a very good forward. WE have several med sized defenders taht are versatile but it also is a bit restrictive.

Camerons recruitment makes it harder for Sav to play as a forward. He best get good at rucking in the VFL

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
How we fit Blitz in will be key but it seems he is the relief ruck but what happens when we need him against a very good forward. WE have several med sized defenders taht are versatile but it also is a bit restrictive.

Camerons recruitment makes it harder for Sav to play as a forward. He best get good at rucking in the VFL
Agree...i mean if you could get kreuger or dek to come on as a key back it frees up blitz to second ruck more. The other option is you run shorter when blitz rucks and trust kolo and hendo on the talls.

The long term plan for sav will be interesting..is he more a successor to hawkins or to stanley?

Remove this Banner Ad