List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We have had heaps the last few years. And hold a heap for the next draft.

Number of top 20 picks over the past 3 years:

Gold Coast - 7
GWS - 7
Port Adelaide - 6
Adelaide - 5
Fremantle - 5
Carlton - 4
Geelong - 4 (Clark, Stephens, De Koning & Holmes)
Sydney - 4
Collingwood - 3
Essendon - 3
North Melbourne - 3
Western Bulldogs - 3
Hawthorn - 2
Melbourne - 2
Richmond - 1
St Kilda - 1
Brisbane - 0
West Coast - 0

Note: Cherry picked stats, you ask? Yes! You'd better believe I deliberately went with top 20 rather than, say, top 10 or top 15, because all our guys went in the 15 - 20 range. Still, I don't think you can really say we've been ignoring the draft of late based on those numbers.

Also, what's with Brisbane and West Coast - isn't there a rule that you need to take a first round pick every 2 years or something?

what's with Brisbane and West Coast - isn't there a rule that you need to take a first round pick every 2 years or something?
It's 2 first round picks in 4 years. Brisbane have taken a first rounder in each of the past 3 drafts; they've just all been 20+ so didn't fit in your list.

West Coast will need to take 2 first rounders this year.

Number of top 20 picks over the past 3 years:

Gold Coast - 7
GWS - 7
Port Adelaide - 6
Adelaide - 5
Fremantle - 5
Carlton - 4
Geelong - 4 (Clark, Stephens, De Koning & Holmes)
Sydney - 4
Collingwood - 3
Essendon - 3
North Melbourne - 3
Western Bulldogs - 3
Hawthorn - 2
Melbourne - 2
Richmond - 1
St Kilda - 1
Brisbane - 0
West Coast - 0

Note: Cherry picked stats, you ask? Yes! You'd better believe I deliberately went with top 20 rather than, say, top 10 or top 15, because all our guys went in the 15 - 20 range. Still, I don't think you can really say we've been ignoring the draft of late based on those numbers.

Also, what's with Brisbane and West Coast - isn't there a rule that you need to take a first round pick every 2 years or something?
2 every 4 years isn't it?

Brisbane has used first round picks every year the last 4 years:
2017 - #18
2018 - #21
2019 - #22
2020 - #24

So technically first round picks, just later than we'd normally consider a first round pick ti be

Well I feel sheepish!

Cheers, that makes sense.
The whole rule is stupid anyway and looking at the Brisbane example demonstrates it. Last two drafts they've had the last pick of the first round, but what's the tangible difference between a pick 24 and 25? Not much, really. Brisbane don't run afoul of the rule, but you could have a club with no first round picks but multiple low 2nd round picks each year, and they would. The latter isn't making any less use of the draft than Brisbane have been.

The whole rule is stupid anyway and looking at the Brisbane example demonstrates it. Last two drafts they've had the last pick of the first round, but what's the tangible difference between a pick 24 and 25? Not much, really. Brisbane don't run afoul of the rule, but you could have a club with no first round picks but multiple low 2nd round picks each year, and they would. The latter isn't making any less use of the draft than Brisbane have been.

We're almost the perfect example of what you're talking about

Go back to the 2017 draft and these are our first 2 picks - #22 Lachlan Fogarty & #24 Tim Kelly.

Picks #22 & #24 are exactly the same draft number as what Brisbane have had the last 2 drafts, and for Brisbane it means they have met the 2 in 4 rule, but when we held those picks they were second round selections, meant we hadn't met the 2 in 4 rule which kinda forced our hand in regards to the 2018 & 2019 drafts

We have since had 4 top first round selections (all in that 15 to 20 mark), so we've met the requirement now but it shows the stupidity of the rule

I'm not so convinced,I'll concede Miers if left forward can kick 20plus,Higgins I think plays as a mid not small forward only kicked 4 goals for the season last year from 17 games,Brad Close 2 from 8 games Dahlhaus 7 from 16 games and Atkins 4 from 12 games Evens and Jarvis yet to debut.
Not a lot of goal coming from the small forwards we will again be dependent on our over worked mids getting up and down the ground to defend and kick goals.

You must have missed Jarvis's debut.

Ben Jarvis | AFL (geelongcats.com.au)

Feels like we have bigger issues in the midfield as that is where teams get on top and overpower us. Selwood has declined to the point he is barely ahead of a Menegola or Guthrie and those two boys are well renown for falling away when the pressure is turned right up a notch or two.
We desperately need a young gun to emerge to help take the pressure away from Dangerfield and Selwood. Parfitt is still a long way from being elite.
For a side historically so strong with ball winning midfielders it feels like we're in danger a bit there. We need the Cooper/Constable show to take the step at the very least

Where is Narkle? Didn't play on the weekend, haven't seen him mentioned in any media.
That is an excellent question. I don't think he's injured.

Could be that they wanted to see a specific mix running through and he wasn't part of that plan. Could be that they have Higgins pencilled in for his midfield rotations

That is an excellent question. I don't think he's injured.

Could be that they wanted to see a specific mix running through and he wasn't part of that plan. Could be that they have Higgins pencilled in for his midfield rotations

Not mentioned on AFL.com.au's injury list published last night either...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not mentioned on AFL.com.au's injury list published last night either...

Hes an emeegency for the afl game and playing vfl tomorrow so definitely fit.

Such a smooth kicking action.
Along with Hawkins - who is usually reliable - and Rohan that makes 3 key pieces to the forward line that can be classed as accurate shots at goal.

Seems like a small thing but it’ll make a difference in a game somewhere this season.

Along with Hawkins - who is usually reliable - and Rohan that makes 3 key pieces to the forward line that can be classed as accurate shots at goal.

Seems like a small thing but it’ll make a difference in a game somewhere this season.
Camerons value isnt in his set shots like Hawkins and Rohan. It’s his ability to snap goals which we have been sorely missing since we traded away/dumped all the players who were elite in that area and replaced them with players who could tackle but had Little to no foward nous.

Really putting yourself on the line with this call

I actually think its still to be determine if it's a good trade. So far he has played 1 game from 5 this year..how many games will he play this year. How many will he play for geelong? How many will the players taken with the picks play.

For the sake of 20 odd games we have given away the chance to add quite a bit of youthful talent. Cameron should have been a FA.. that we paid what we did... to me it will be some time yet before I am happy to say it was a good trade.

For example. Time has shown the club made a good trade with Stanley. Was the Treloar trade to Collingwood a good one? Was Ottens? Was Caddy?

It seems cost and outcome is very important in determining the worth of a deal. Perhaps we are talking descriptor here. 'Good' is a wide definition. Cameron adds a rare talent to our forwardline. He adds a quality we have not had for a while yet I think I will wait a while before I will call the trade good or not.

Who do we add this year with the R2 picks we added. How much success do we have with Cameron in the side. Does our scoring line , on average, go up etc by two goals or more....

I hope we continue to score like we did against West Coast ... if we do ..the football be far easier to enjoy.

And quite clutch too. I didn’t realise how highly skilled he was.

I actually think its still to be determine if it's a good trade. So far he has played 1 game from 5 this year..how many games will he play this year. How many will he play for geelong? How many will the players taken with the picks play.

For the sake of 20 odd games we have given away the chance to add quite a bit of youthful talent. Cameron should have been a FA.. that we paid what we did... to me it will be some time yet before I am happy to say it was a good trade.

For example. Time has shown the club made a good trade with Stanley. Was the Treloar trade to Collingwood a good one? Was Ottens? Was Caddy?

It seems cost and outcome is very important in determining the worth of a deal. Perhaps we are talking descriptor here. 'Good' is a wide definition. Cameron adds a rare talent to our forwardline. He adds a quality we have not had for a while yet I think I will wait a while before I will call the trade good or not.

Who do we add this year with the R2 picks we added. How much success do we have with Cameron in the side. Does our scoring line , on average, go up etc by two goals or more....

I hope we continue to score like we did against West Coast ... if we do ..the football be far easier to enjoy.
15, 18, 25, 60-something*

Cameron, 24*, 26*

Now all we need to do is to turn those two seconds into say Fisher McAsey and Sam Flanders and we're not doing too bad

Back