Rumour Jeremy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

It the difference between one recruiting manager and another. I would much prefer to trust our forwards atm..add to our drafted group ..perhaps we draft a kid like Taylor or someone who can add almost from day one up forward... The young talls are an area I think that look quite good.. not saying I wouldn't add to it because injury and a shortfall or expectation can happen. Adding a mature in any role pushes from the top down. I just posted about PortAdelaide having issues with the rucks on the list ... to some degre this has been brought about by the adding a FA that has disrupted normal progression... much more so than in a mid situation .. Lycett has been good for them..but what does it do to Frampton and Hayes and Ladhams ..let alone Ryder.

Hawkins is here for sometime yet... and Sav looks a likely player but jury is out ..no certainty yet..but he shows potential. In the VFL Buzza has shown enough to get games this year imo..but I also am an advocate of money down on the number you want... we have had too many drywells in recent years..putting tens of games into gues that in the end give no water at all. So I can understand if they have plans other than Buzza. Krueger showed enough to get a game or two... I also understand they want to nurse him.. but one would think by next year.. he should be getting some games. I also would like to have a better quality ruck/forward than we have ..someone a bit younger. My perfect get would be King ..that sort of tall.
So where does Cameron fit and who does he push down.

I like Constable as junior but the demands of afl mean that clubs want a higher tuned athlete. Can he get to that? Parfitt is the sort of add that good ..he could play a few roles..but I have seen nothing more in him atm. than a good version of prismall. Does he develop , does he dither , does he just become a good player while he has betters around him. Atkins good and we have to keep more journeymen coming thru..maybe he takes a step up after a year in the real stuff.

The prismall thing to me shows where we are. We lost prismall and kept on rolling. I dont see any mid that we be absolutely dire if they were departing. Cockatoo could go and what are we missing. We will not be getting a Rowell and Anderson ..but its what we need. Im also aware for years in the golden era our list was considered good but not great... then they all were...
I'm on the same page with Constable and Parfitt. They don't scream all out stars that will win us games of their own boot, but rather good soldiers to have on the list.
Cockatoo on the other hand, he could win us games if he get's his body right. Not massive numbers, but he could do a lot of damage with limited touches.
AS for Clark, he is the best of our youngsters, and he will be as good as Duncan.
I think we'd be silly not to go back to the draft with higher picks for the next 2 years, we are on the cusp of a bigger rebuild that's already underway.

I don't think Giants will try to trade him a year earlier to recoup a better bounty whether its draft picks or a target player or both... They are in the window, so they'll keep him to his contract and worry about it at end of next year.
Agree. It would take an extraordinary trade and we have to ask: are we willing to pay an extraordinary price? I don’t think that’s our style.

I don't think Giants will try to trade him a year earlier to recoup a better bounty whether its draft picks or a target player or both... They are in the window, so they'll keep him to his contract and worry about it at end of next year.

There are reaching an interesting point of their list build .. Coniglio , Patton , Whitfield and Cameron ... all clocking up to the FA qualification.. where UFA is not that far away , where they can go if they want to .. So far they seem to have mostly defaulted to renewal ..trading out the matures and going to the young.. but they are closing to a point where they have to hold players because they have to make the most the group. Could Cameron be the one they get stubborn on next year? ..Id doubt they they trade him out this year when they already have two R1 picks..

Cameron great player but will cost 2x 1st rd top ten picks plus 1.3+m in wages not sure if he's worth that much to the Cats very hefty price...

They maybe cost them a premiership. The Swans were looking good before they got them, thats for sure
They have lost multiple players thru cap pressure .. Tippet was a big mistake ..Buddy is dependant upon the objective..he has been much like Ablett to the Suns ... "a success in all but a flag" ... but his deal was always going to be about the last 2 or 3 years..

They have lost multiple players thru cap pressure .. Tippet was a big mistake ..Buddy is dependant upon the objective..he has been much like Ablett to the Suns ... "a success in all but a flag" ... but his deal was always going to be about the last 2 or 3 years..
I can remember when they first got them. The Swans were going to be invincible based on that they were already very good and in the premiership window as it was. Then they discovered something. When you get 2 superstars in the forward line, its not like the umpires help out and bounce two balls up. Still only one ball per game, one ball going into the 50 at one time. Someone has to play second fiddle, and it destroyed Tippett, imo. And the cap probs destroyed the rest.

Agreed but we should make him a big FA offer next year.

I haven't read every post, so apologies if I am rehashing old stuff. But has anyone heard Collingwood is prepared to throw everything in to get Cameron and the talk is of a long term deal rumoured to be worth $15M?

I haven't read every post, so apologies if I am rehashing old stuff. But has anyone heard Collingwood is prepared to throw everything in to get Cameron and the talk is of a long term deal rumoured to be worth $15M?

With what salary cap? They must be already bursting at the seams and with Grundy sure to command 1 million + a year it would be near impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With what salary cap? They must be already bursting at the seams and with Grundy sure to command 1 million + a year it would be near impossible.

Maybe he'll get a part-time job with Eddie, either at MMM or as a stage hand on Who Wants to be a Millionaire....

Or could indicate that Collingwood is of the opinion that Grundy won't be extending his stay & instead will opt for FA himself next year, thus freeing up cap space to go after Cameron

The one thing to always take on board when plotting a trade windfall down the track is there will nearly always be more grooms and only one bride ... its not often you have a Danger situation ... and the Boomerang Falcon thing is obvious a paradigm they feel works. Cameron is no ex Falcon ... so its something to be determined whether Geelong has something that appeals or a Collingwood type playing experience would be more his cup of tea.

15M? That would be a Buddy type deal I guess. Just how many years would they think he would play for ... has to be close to 2M a year.

For mine ... thats a lot. We are not in a free market really ..you have to fit a team into the cap.

We got Polly and we won the flag. We got Ottens and we won the flag. Only position worth putting up big money. Ruck. If we had Grundy, the TAB would have suspended betting by now. (for the flag).

Clubs that have put themselves in hock for a star forward or mid, and gone on to win a flag of recent = ZERO

We got Polly and we won the flag. We got Ottens and we won the flag. Only position worth putting up big money. Ruck. If we had Grundy, the TAB would have suspended betting by now. (for the flag).

Clubs that have put themselves in hock for a star forward or mid, and gone on to win a flag of recent = ZERO

2014 - Western Bulldogs pull the trigger on a trade for Tom Boyd on a 7-year, $7 million dollar deal

He was recruited to play as a star forward, not in the ruck - it netted then the 2016 flag

So can't say it doesn't or hasn't happen

Devils advocate .... how far back are you thinking ..? I think Hock is an emotive type term .

I general I think the ruck role is almost part of the mid group now ..but I do agree with you assessment that to pay huge OTT trade for a forward without having your mid group ready to go is cart before the horse. If we use Ottens as an example he too was really a forward hope but he came to us after a PF for a young group. I doubt we could say that about our side atm.

The Pies are out of their damn mind if they think about doing that. They'll lose a lot of players if they give up that much cap. Cameron will be 27 next year, and isn't (as much as I hate to say it) a once in a generation forward like Buddy. Grundy would be a given, as that's the only way they could get him. Meaning, they would have to find at least another 800K - 1 MIL in their cap to pay that sort of money. Good luck keeping talented youngsters like Quaynor, Callum Brown, Sier, Kelly, Hoskin-Elliot, Daicos, Moore and Stephenson, if you break your cap like that.

With this said, they could go full nuts and retain Grundy, get Cameron as well. Back end their contracts, pay Adams, Phillips, De Goey, Moore, Sidebottom, Treloar, Beams, Pendles, Crisp and Howe the majority of the cap during the front ended years, and then delist all of their injured players and bring in a heap of youngsters via the draft.

Retire, trade or delist - Elliot, Wells, Crocker, Reid, Dunn, Varcoe, Greenwood, Scharenberg, Goldsack, Broomhead, Appleby, Wills

Pay via the dregs from the rest of the cap (notable players) - Langdon, Mihocek, Aish, Cox, Mayne, Roughead, Thomas, Maynard etc.

Problem is, even if they somehow pulled it off, got in a bunch of decent youngsters and delisted free agents on the cheap, they'll still lose their quality young talent they already have, as they're not gonna stick around if one player is being paid 1/6 of the cap. Just doesn't work. Buddy coming in meant Sydney lost a future Brownlow medalist, a future premiership ruck, Rohan, possibly Papley this year and others that I can't recall at this time (Malceski to Gold Coast was one I think?)

They'd be unstoppable in the short term, and they might pinch a flag, but in the long term, the club would be in a precarious position at best.

Devils advocate .... how far back are you thinking ..? I think Hock is an emotive type term .

I general I think the ruck role is almost part of the mid group now ..but I do agree with you assessment that to pay huge OTT trade for a forward without having your mid group ready to go is cart before the horse. If we use Ottens as an example he too was really a forward hope but he came to us after a PF for a young group. I doubt we could say that about our side atm.
Ottens was our premiership ruckman 2009 & 11. But you are right, its not much point if he is feeding to a weak midfield.

Ottens was our premiership ruckman 2009 & 11. But you are right, its not much point if he is feeding to a weak midfield.

Otto was traded in as our big FF hope... and become our best trade ever ..as a ruck.

You have convinced me to one point. Perhaps we should be looking to add someone like Ryder for a couple of years IF thats the best ruck we could add ..IF we think at years end its the ruck that has let us down..again.Does our mid group look diminished due to our ruck always looking like they are bandaids...

Cameron will get good money no matter where he plays... I doubt he choses to play someone for money ... 15M off if true would bring a lot of pressures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back