Traded Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

MFC: Pre-season update: Davey to Jamar

38. Jeremy Howe

Jeremy attacks every session with 100 per cent. He’s had a really good pre-Christmas period. His intensity has been a highlight and he’s been one of the real leaders out on the track. Jeremy’s been one of the standouts of the pre-Christmas training period for me.

– Leigh Brown

Review re: Round 1 v Port Adelaide

Howe wasn't the worst player out there, but then again he had a lot of competition for that mantle. Took a trademark high flying grab of the week (set up deliberately for him by Sylvia which was nice), and not long after took another mark inside 50m. Converted both marks into goals. No problems with his kicking for goals from his two set shots, so perhaps has been working on this over summer. Time will tell.

Beyond this he was largely unseen, not often enough near the action, so it's difficult to know if his fitness has improved etc. Played on the forward line at times and up towards the wings at other times. This role should suit him well if he can get on the end of a few. I feel he should be able to push up towards the back flank for kick outs, perhaps he would provided another option for the long kick, rather than Jamar all the time.

Finished with:

Kicks: 6
Handballs: 5
Marks: 4 (2 inside 50m)
Tackles: 3
Goals: 2
Behinds: 1

Round 2 v Essendon

Howe was one of our best performers on the night, easily in our top 3, some might even argue our best (I thought Jones personally). Roamed the entire ground, racked up a few decent possessions and looked a good footy player out there. Almost took another mark of the week with a big climb in defensive 50m but unfortunately spilled the beans on the way down, that leap along with Davey's dribble goal were the only things to get excited about, really. Hopefully he can back up with another solid performance this week, certainly showed he can play a roaming midfield role moving either forward or back.

Stats:
Kicks: 16
HB: 7
Marks: 14
Tackles: 0 (not good...)

Howe is coming along nicely, I'd say to those who argue we can't develop players to take a look at him. Has added quite a few strings to his bow since coming to Melbourne, along with some of the safest hands I've seen at the red and blue he finds the ball well. Will only get better as the players around him lift.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back