Jeremy McGovern appreciation thread

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2...emy-mcgovern-opens-up-on-secret-health-battle

****ing hell everybody.

Bloke spends time in hospital in the lead up, PISSING BLOOD with potentially major kidney issues. Gets up to play, somehow.

Then apparently he BREAKS HIS BLOODY RIBS during the game.

This would be enough to put 98% of players on the bench and out of the game. But GOV lifts and takes a GRAND FINAL SAVING WINNING MARK with a few minutes to go and I think you CAMPAIGNERS know the rest.

How are there no GOV threads on the first page? This is unbelievable. Crazy.

GOV - you are an absolute legend of the greatest club in the league.

WE. LOVE. YOU.

WE WON THE FLAG! REPLAY NUMBER SEVEN TIME!

:westcoast: :hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts: #20

Gov is actually going to go down as an AFL great the way he’s tracking. Three time (should be four) AA in the space of 103 games, lovable larrikin, giving hope to the dad bod defenders everywhere, plays one of the most important roles in modern football and leaves the rest of the league in his wake.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Breeden tough from here. Love our local lad. We love a beer and a steak cooked medium rare. ...

He spent time in Warburton too...playing with aboriginal kids ...in the dirt...

Hes as tough as they come. I've met a few of his mates and they say he hasnt changed one bit.

As I've always joked imagine what he could do fit..lol... The ribs ..I wonder if they were injured in the previous game. But tough as they come.

Hes a footballer ...but athletically he can leap and hes got the best hands in the business.

Wow hes one tough cookie.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Wow... Incredible. Gov, you are amazing! To overcome that and even get on the field to start with, it is a credit to him, his mental strength and will and determination. Also the club’s medical and associated staff. What a job they did.

An absolute legend is right. The love that he has for his club, his mates and family is so evident. I am in awe. He has well and truly earnt his contract already as far as I am concerned, worth every single cent and then some. Just a enormous performance from a quality player and person. Love you Gov! :hearts:

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
He is just pure skill...he has the most gifted football skills.

Hands are incredible...

Most defenders think get the ball away from me....he wants the ball in his hands

Hes pain tolerance is unbeliebale..simmo often says he.plays sore.

After a good rest..let's hope he has a great pre season.

His performance all finals was one to remember

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
He is just pure skill...he has the most gifted football skills.

Hands are incredible...

Most defenders think get the ball away from me....he wants the ball in his hands

Hes pain tolerance is unbeliebale..simmo often says he.plays sore.

After a good rest..let's hope he has a great pre season.

His performance all finals was one to remember

Great words Dave, fully agree. He deserves a good rest now haha, but I am confident he will be there leading from the front again come preseason. I don’t think this group is content with one flag, they want more :)

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Gov's courage in that game will (hopefully) go down in legend across the competition. Playing with bad internal bleeding, hospital during the week on a morphine drip, having to have blood drained from inside his torso, urinating blood all week, muscles torn off the bone on his hip, 10/10 pain in his own words

Then, on top of everything, breaks ribs during the Grand Final but practically wins us the premiership through one of the best clutch moments your ever likely to see from a defender (and one of the best on ground during the entire four quarters). I must have watched that last quarter play 100 times, and every time I watch it I sit back in absolute awe of that kick to Vardy. Absolute pin point precision from 40m away, half a metre either side of him and that kick gets spoiled by anyone 1 of 4 Collingwood players converging on that space. The bravery to take the game on at that point, to show such little hesitation and fear. That is every bit as clutch as Dom Sheeds goal in the pocket.

The man is worth every single solitary dollar they are throwing at him, and part of me thinks after his GF effort he's probably being paid unders...

What in the * aye, If he can stay on the park for the next 5 years I'm genuinely convinced he'll become one of the greatest players of the modern era

Dad bods a-*******-hoy!!!!!!!

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I saw Going Guru's attempted troll of Mcgovern's role at a building company on the mainboard.

Honestly seeing the club create options for our players makes me proud as hell.

I am glad that playing for WCE opens doors during and after your playing career.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Enjoyed the bit on Channel 9 news last night. Loved when he said he watched his moment over and over again, Pure Gov :thumbsu:

It was two crazy plays.

First he leaves the most dangerous Collingwood forward to impact the contest. Goes for the mark not the punch.

Then he plays on immediately and kicks to a pack of 3 Magpies with one Eagles in the middle and hits him on the nose.

If he makes any mistakes in these two plays its a turnover and his team probably loses the grand final.

All this with his team needing a goal with 2 mins to go in the 4th. Balls of steel does not even begin to cover it.

Last edited:

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
Breeden tough from here. Love our local lad. We love a beer and a steak cooked medium rare. ...

He spent time in Warburton too...playing with aboriginal kids ...in the dirt...

Hes as tough as they come. I've met a few of his mates and they say he hasnt changed one bit.

As I've always joked imagine what he could do fit..lol... The ribs ..I wonder if they were injured in the previous game. But tough as they come.

Hes a footballer ...but athletically he can leap and hes got the best hands in the business.

Wow hes one tough cookie.

And 6 innections just to get onto the ground. Wow! one tough nut! And yes, he did have cracked/broken ribs going in as suspected though denied, and got another whack to break ribs on the other side. I have had broken ribs and could hardly move. And he still did what he did. Amazing man! Legend.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
And 6 innections just to get onto the ground. Wow! one tough nut! And yes, he did have cracked/broken ribs going in as suspected though denied, and got another whack to break ribs on the other side. I have had broken ribs and could hardly move. And he still did what he did. Amazing man! Legend.
Must've been juiced up mega.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
I said that in a thread and no one believed me. Give away was the way he held his arms down in the parade and jogging

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
His kicking style looks awkward, his body shape looks wrong but our Jeremy is a champion through and through ! All hail the Gov !
We are built like that here...tuck shop arms and all...lol...

His kicking ...my theory ..got ro kick it low n hard. Albany is windy. His home ground is about 900 meters from the ocean...and a harbor on the eastern side.

Lots of our local guys here have similar style.

It was two crazy plays.

First he leaves the most dangerous Collingwood forward to impact the contest. Goes for the mark not the punch.

Then he plays on immediately and kicks to a pack of 3 Magpies with one Eagles in the middle and hits him on the nose.

If he makes any mistakes in these two plays its a turnover and his team probably loses the grand final.

All this with his team needing a goal with 2 mins to go in the 4th. Balls of steel does not even begin to cover it.

Sam Butler on the podcast reckons he fluked the kick and wasn't meaning for it to go there :D

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I said that in a thread and no one believed me. Give away was the way he held his arms down in the parade and jogging
Yep, I suspected it too and so did the physio on AFL Gameday. The club denied it so as to protect him from Pies players targetting him.

This man is an absolute jet in many ways. Genuine, no false modesty though humble at the same time.

Others ITT have conveyed well what he means to all of us so I won't repeat them, but I will say that IMO he's already become one of the best Eagles ever despite only having only played 103 games.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Give me Gov over Rance any day.
Oh and to all the Freo muppets and other nuffies carrying on about how we have over paid and hes not that good- eat a big bag of dicks. Id also have him over Fyfe.

Back