Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

JGov I agree since he is free. If we had to trade I would disagree.

MGov no way. I know you're a Crows fans and will hence disagree but Mitch doesn't have remotely enough on the board to warrant the ridiculous price he would cost this year. He had his chance last year and stayed with you guys. He can ride that one out now.
How much did your club throw at him last year in an attempt to lure him home again?...

You might not think he’s worth much..

How much did your club throw at him last year in an attempt to lure him home again?...

You might not think he’s worth much..
I have no idea. The unverified media reports were 600-750k.

You are right, I don't think he is worth anywhere near that. I mean, you always pay overs to get players to move but **** me he isn't in that ballpark IMO.

We supposedly offered McCarthy something similar so maybe we are that daft. Still don't think you are getting two first rounders or a top 10 pick for him fwiw. It is much better for everyone if you just keep him.

Yeah, but if your one of those clubs that has plenty of cap space now you simply heavily front load it... so in years 4-5-6 when he’s starting to slow down you’re paying him a hell of a lot less cash than you are in years 1-2-3 when he’ll be in his prime.

But seriously, the guy’s 26 ffs... they way some are carrying on you’d think he’s 30!.. he’s easily got 5 good years left in him.

He plays for a WA team. Players start to struggle over 30.

And cant see how paying someone double what they are worth early in a contract mitgates paying less in rheir final two years.

You are still averaginf $1m a season for six years for a player who isnt worth that. Then if your list is crap may as well pay a decent player overs than a spud.:huh:

He plays for a WA team. Players start to struggle over 30.

And cant see how paying someone double what they are worth early in a contract mitgates paying less in rheir final two years.

You are still averaginf $1m a season for six years for a player who isnt worth that. Then if your list is crap may as well pay a decent player overs than a spud.:huh:
This is a logical conclusion to draw but the 95% floor changes things. Richmond will be playing their 44 AT MOST 10% more than Carlton pays theirs, which is frankly absurd because Carlton are much more than 10% worse than Richmond.

So since you have to thoroughly overpay somebody when you are ****, it makes total sense to attract big name FAs whom you can do it to.
-They won't come to you unless you do give them way overs
-Makes your team better
-Allows you to pay the floor without paying your existing spuds even more than they deserve
-Doesn't cost you a trade

We don't have to like it but it is a reality. IMO they should lower the floor.

This is a logical conclusion to draw but the 95% floor changes things. Richmond will be playing their 44 AT MOST 10% more than Carlton pays theirs, which is frankly absurd because Carlton are much more than 10% worse than Richmond.

So since you have to thoroughly overpay somebody when you are ****, it makes total sense to attract big name FAs whom you can do it to.
-They won't come to you unless you do give them way overs
-Makes your team better
-Allows you to pay the floor without paying your existing spuds even more than they deserve
-Doesn't cost you a trade

We don't have to like it but it is a reality. IMO they should lower the floor.

Yep it makes sense if you have an average list now and want to attract a star and over pay early. But doesnt work for more established list with a tight salary cap.

Yep it makes sense if you have an average list now and want to attract a star and over pay early. But doesnt work for more established list with a tight salary cap.
I wouldn't think so. If you guys lose him it will be to someone like us or Carlton who don't have anybody else to pay. A club like Sydney, Geelong or Hawthorn you wouldn't think would have anywhere near the cap space for that sort of move.

I wouldn't think so. If you guys lose him it will be to someone like us or Carlton who don't have anybody else to pay. A club like Sydney, Geelong or Hawthorn you wouldn't think would have anywhere near the cap space for that sort of move.

So really the only likely club in with a shot is Freo who has the cap space and Gov doesnt need to move.

Lucky he doesnt like Purple!

I suppose this has already been asked but would Jeremy consider moving to the GC to fill the cap space void left by Lynch. Wouldn’t think there would be many other clubs that could really offer what he is asking.

They could simply give WC back their first round pick since that is the same pick they would get anyway (one later actually). Or they could force a trade for Lynch first and then get Gov for free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a bloke on the eagles board last week saying Nicnat didnt do his ACL and would be out for 4-6 and we all got our hopes up and of course that was a load of s**t so not falling for the old Bigfooty source again.

I know a well known Eagles BF poster who tried to convince me and some friends a while back that Naitanui would never play again. He changed his name in disgrace.

I know a well known Eagles BF poster who tried to convince me and some friends a while back that Naitanui would never play again. He changed his name in disgrace.
* off mate.

I got that info from BF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back