Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. The number will continue to increase so it probably represents pretty good value as you said.

McGovern is unquestionably one of the best defenders in the game so props to all involved. I certainly wasn’t having a crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t think you were, it was a reasonable query.

It’s certainly not ‘on the cheap’.

I wouldn't say they are the best 2 by a fair way, Daniel Talia would be right up there as well.

Talia is good by honestly not as good:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=19&type=A&pid1=3326&pid2=3571&fid1=C&fid2=C

Talia has almost 70 games more experience and is at his peak yet Mcgovern beats him in almost every single statistic and can go forward as well. Mcgovern will probably get even better.

I know it's a lot of money but Mcgovern cannot be replaced by any player currently available. Crows won't trade Talia and Richmond certainly won't trade Rance.

I'm glad he stayed at west coast. Good for them and mcgovern.

Mcgovern must be happy because no other club would put up with those skinfolds. If he went to melbourne he'd probably have to turn into a slab of granite like tarrant or daw. Now he can get paid and eat too

Agree for the most part. I do think a gun CHF is worth more than a gun CHB though.

What value would you put on Matty Scarlett during Geelong's premiership run? How important was he to the team? If he was at his peak this year how much would you pay him?

Scarlett got his 3rd AA at 28 Mcgovern is probably going to have his 3rd at 26.

What value would you put on Matty Scarlett during Geelong's premiership run? How important was he to the team? If he was at his peak this year how much would you pay him?

Scarlett got his 3rd AA at 28 Mcgovern is probably going to have his 3rd at 26.

I’d pay Scarlett $1.1M in this day and age without a second thought.

I don’t need to be convinced of McGovern’s worth; he’s a gun.

It still seems a fraction high to me but it’s certainly not outrageous. If that’s what it took to keep him, it’s money well spent.

Think Lycett will be priority number 1 and earn a very big pay day.
I seriously hope we are in Gaff’s ear

I would rate Gaff as the priority over Lycett by a fair margin.

Mids of Gaff's quality are hard to come by, especially for the Eagles.

Rucks of Lycett's ability are important but mids more so. Look at the Hawks.

With Alex Rance they are the best 2 tall defenders in the game by a fair ways. Can have entire defence built around him. Gov is only 26! Gov will probably be 3 x AA by the end of this year.

With rebound defence being all the rage these last few years a gun CHB is just as valuble as a gun CHF. Mcgovern can play both positions.

It's a lot of money but players like Mcgovern are almost irreplacable.
I think Daniel Talia is certainly in the same conversation as Rance and McGovern although he is more of a lockdown defender but he very very rarely gets beat

Am I the only one that thinks $1.1M is far too much for McGovern?

I would think there were higher offers from other clubs.

Nothing is surprising me these days. JDG being offered $1m pa by the Roos for instance.

But $1m today isn’t worth $1m in 5 years. I’m sure clubs are running with a different player payments system these days. May see more first and second year players kept and a larger proportion of role players on smaller $$ or even handing on to older players on minimum $$.

I’d love to see a club’s list of players and their contracts. Would be interesting to see the strategy taken. I think the role in player contracts and negotiations is becoming more important than ever.

I think Daniel Talia is certainly in the same conversation as Rance and McGovern although he is more of a lockdown defender but he very very rarely gets beat

And just like Rance and Mcgovern hes not up for trade.

My point is we paid Mcgovern a lot because the only players that could possibly replace him are 100% unavailable.

And just like Rance and Mcgovern hes not up for trade.

My point is we paid Mcgovern a lot because the only players that could possibly replace him are 100% unavailable.
Absolutely correct and McGovern is a super player. I heard that Talia is also one of our highest paid players and is a tough negotiator..but if you are very good and know it, you hold the aces

I think we'd want Mitch in 2 years though. Kennedy will be probably retired and Darling not far off. We have some replacements, but not at their level. If we want to get it done, hopefully we start laying some cable with Mitch now to get it done in 2 years. Too often we sit on our hands while another club pulls the big moves.

Though, if he stays, great. Always good to have 1 club players.
I reckon Brander is a shot of becoming a top like KPF. Oscar Allen of being a high level roaming HF/KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Ralph is saying it - id actually trust Hagdorn over him.

And that’s saying something
Everyone is saying 1.1-1.2 a year over 5 hardly matters he is getting paid huge money and the eagles were happy to cough it up

Everyone is saying 1.1-1.2 a year over 5 hardly matters he is getting paid huge money and the eagles were happy to cough it up

After watching the Bulldogs game, he stood out as a beacon of quality in the WC side as players around bumbled and fumbled.

We are not overly blessed with A grade talent and needed to keep all our stars given NN prolonged absence and the amount of games old man Kennedy is starting to miss.

Good call at 5 years, but would have been a bad call at 6 and a shocking call at 7.

Talia is good by honestly not as good:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=19&type=A&pid1=3326&pid2=3571&fid1=C&fid2=C

Talia has almost 70 games more experience and is at his peak yet Mcgovern beats him in almost every single statistic and can go forward as well. Mcgovern will probably get even better.

I know it's a lot of money but Mcgovern cannot be replaced by any player currently available. Crows won't trade Talia and Richmond certainly won't trade Rance.
I think the thing with Talia is he is purely a lock down defender not so much a third man up, intercept, attacking style defender like Jeremy McGovern is. One on one, I would trust Talia to beat his man more often than McGovern and he is better suited to the big forwards - however when it comes to playing the loose man and set up play or being the third man up, J McGovern is supreme. Both are fantastic players for what they offer and as such a direct stat comparison is not the ideal measure with these 2 players. Rance is much like McGovern in that he reads the play so well and can dictate play from defence and take intercept marks. Where he gets in trouble is when teams make him play deep one out and they lower the eyes going to his man. Jenkins towelled him up earlier this year and he got well beat against WCE from memory as well..however it is much easier said than done because their midfield is so strong that it is hard to get the time and space to exploit that side of his game..just my thoughts

I would think there were higher offers from other clubs.

Nothing is surprising me these days. JDG being offered $1m pa by the Roos for instance.

But $1m today isn’t worth $1m in 5 years. I’m sure clubs are running with a different player payments system these days. May see more first and second year players kept and a larger proportion of role players on smaller $$ or even handing on to older players on minimum $$.

I’d love to see a club’s list of players and their contracts. Would be interesting to see the strategy taken. I think the role in player contracts and negotiations is becoming more important than ever.
Don't know if true but thought I heard McGovern was being offered up to 1.7M by some Club? Could all be an exaggeration of course?

I think the thing with Talia is he is purely a lock down defender not so much a third man up, intercept, attacking style defender like Jeremy McGovern is. One on one, I would trust Talia to beat his man more often than McGovern and he is better suited to the big forwards - however when it comes to playing the loose man and set up play or being the third man up, J McGovern is supreme. Both are fantastic players for what they offer and as such a direct stat comparison is not the ideal measure with these 2 players. Rance is much like McGovern in that he reads the play so well and can dictate play from defence and take intercept marks. Where he gets in trouble is when teams make him play deep one out and they lower the eyes going to his man. Jenkins towelled him up earlier this year and he got well beat against WCE from memory as well..however it is much easier said than done because their midfield is so strong that it is hard to get the time and space to exploit that side of his game..just my thoughts

Honestly comparing them is kinda pointless because for each of these teams these defenders are literally one of the first picked by the MC and would only be traded in the player was desperate to leave.

My point was if we traded Mcgovern who would be his replacement only Rance or Talia would be around that level and both are 100% not up for sale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back