Toast Jeremy McGovern re-signs for five years

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Let’s be clear - as Jack Riewoldt said on AFL360 tonight, reporters inflate the numbers on offer. Not a single poster has a clue what McGovern is getting and reporters are guessing.

I laugh at reading 1.1 versus 1.2 mln. No doubt the money is substantial but if you think you know the fine details, you are playing with yourself.

We should just be happy we have kept Gov at the club. Our club has an excellent track record of being commercially great. Drafting second rounders and midfielders is our Achilles Heel. Let’s relax and celebrate.
I'd be dumbfounded if we were spending as much as reported on one player. Just seems like bad list management to me.

I Would love to know the median salary, would give a true indication about the wages players receive.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 7.39.44 am.png

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I Would love to know the median salary, would give a true indication about the wages players receive.

Median is on the lower end of the 300k-400k scale worked out based on the info below:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up

If you sum up what we are paying our top 6-8 players (according to the media) it leaves an average of about $180k per player for the other 35 or so players. Impossible.
I'll back the club when it comes to contract management.

DJMac

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
West Coast, WA
AFL Club
West Coast

Woobla Stainz

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Perth NOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Real Madrid
They are becoming the North Melbourne of the West no one of top end quality wants a bar of them , they just use the North’s and the Purples interest to hike up their eventual price at their Club.

Second thought they are becoming the Fitzroy of the West ..... tredding water at best.

They are going nowhere with RTB as their coach..... I do hope like hell they give him a lengthy extension:D .... the Guy is an egocentric , bombastic, arrogant w***er.
Have heard that Mini Gov was quite keen to come back to WA and play for the Dockers but the main reason he didn't is because Ross Lyon is coach. Refused to play under him. Imagine being a fwd and having Lyon as coach...

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The only people that would know the true value i'd imagine, would be.

Gov
Gov's wife
Gov's manager
Eagles List manager and whoever signs off on the dollar amount, don't think there would be too many who would be involved in that for privacy reasons.

Everyone else would be just guessing what the actual value issue, based on what they assume the other clubs were offering, the only way they would know that is the club in question was owning up to their offer and i highly doubt that would be the case, that would cause a s**t storm internally.

You missed an expert or two on here with links to the man in the know. You know who I'm talking about.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
but seriously how do i get one of these sport journalist jobs? all they seem to do is just make up contract speculation and when they're proven completely wrong they just move onto the next player

I can do that, here:

Breaking News! Gaff will sign with St Kilda on a 5 year deal that sees him getting $1.3 million each year!

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
but seriously how do i get one of these sport journalist jobs? all they seem to do is just make up contract speculation and when they're proven completely wrong they just move onto the next player

I can do that, here:

Breaking News! Gaff will sign with St Kilda on a 5 year deal that sees him getting $1.3 million each year!
I heard from a source close to the saints it is $1.4M for 6 years

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
I heard from a source close to the saints it is $1.4M for 6 years

Headline generator:

"I heard from a source close to X that X is signing with Y for Z dollars of A years."

X= any player out of contract
Y= any AFL club
Z= a $ amount between 800k to 2mill
A= a number between 1 and 7

"I heard from a source close to Rhys that Rhys Stanley is signing with Adelaide for 900k dollars of 4 years."

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
They actually sign a non-disclosure so literally no one knows the exact amount. It's all educated guessing. There's also a tonne of different sponsorship payments, leadership group bonuses, AFL match bonuses and fee's that the players and managers themselves can't even plan for. Colin Young's probably reading this forum right now having a good old chuckle while he knocks back a Peroni on the balcony of his 2mil apartment in Scarb.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Median is on the lower end of the 300k-400k scale worked out based on the info below:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-22/player-payments-revealed-millionaires-on-the-up

If you sum up what we are paying our top 6-8 players (according to the media) it leaves an average of about $180k per player for the other 35 or so players. Impossible.
I'll back the club when it comes to contract management.

The fact the media has no idea what any player is getting. They get their info from player managers who have a vested interest in inflating the numbers while the reporters themselves have a vested interest in inflating the numbers to make a big headline.

So 800k becomes 1 mil which becomes 1.2 mil.

Like you said if you believed the media the numbers just do not add up.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
They actually sign a non-disclosure so literally no one knows the exact amount. It's all educated guessing. There's also a tonne of different sponsorship payments, leadership group bonuses, AFL match bonuses and fee's that the players and managers themselves can't even plan for. Colin Young's probably reading this forum right now having a good old chuckle while he knocks back a Peroni on the balcony of his 2mil apartment in Scarb.
You used to be on an AFL list, correct? Thank you for your insights, as the term of the deals has always fascinated me. Are the match payments quite a large part of the contract or are the base payments quite large? I've always wondered about this in relation to players who get long term injuries and how that may affect their income.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
You used to be on an AFL list, correct? Thank you for your insights, as the term of the deals has always fascinated me. Are the match payments quite a large part of the contract or are the base payments quite large? I've always wondered about this in relation to players who get long term injuries and how that may affect their income.

When you did all that blocking for the WC mids in Judd, Cuz and Kerr surely they shouted you free stuff considering it sounds like you were never paid for your playing days? Heck you were even a VC of the club at one point.

Back