Toast Jeremy McGovern re-signs for five years

Remove this Banner Ad

while that 300-400k figure is accurate it's worth noting that the majority of the list will be earning under that amount, and a few players will be earning well over that amount

Imagine being a fwd and having Lyon as coach...
969033-ross-lyon-and-nick-riewoldt.jpg

I feel like Simpson’s One Weird Trick is being worked out by savvy coaches who are refusing to allow teams to kick long and predictably to a single tall target.

Two weeks in a row he has been pretty ineffective - but we have built our team around his intercept marking.

Can't agree with you there.

He's had some poor games no doubt, but to say he's been shocking this year, is well shocking.

If someone said at the start of the year McGovern would not be in our Top 10 performing players this year, you'd laugh at them.

But that's where we are. He'd be borderline at best for a top 10 spot.

He's had 6 games of less than 13 possessions this year (after having one last year). Throw in another four 13 possession games this year as well.

He's been hugely disappointing this year.

But I also know he can turn it on in a second, so I hope that's coming in September.

If someone said at the start of the year McGovern would not be in our Top 10 performing players this year, you'd laugh at them.

But that's where we are. He'd be borderline at best for a top 10 spot.

He's had 6 games of less than 13 possessions this year (after having one last year). Throw in another four 13 possession games this year as well.

He's been hugely disappointing this year.

But I also know he can turn it on in a second, so I hope that's coming in September.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

It's hard to judge a defender, albeit an intercepting one, just on possessions though.
He could have 13 possessions and take 8 marks.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

It's hard to judge a defender, albeit an intercepting one, just on possessions though.
He could have 13 possessions and take 8 marks.

I've just been really disappointed in him. When he's on, we are almost unbeatable.

We're 5-0 when he has 19 or more possessions. We are 4-0 when he has 10 or more marks. And it's a weird correlation to have, as if we win (generally) the ball shouldn't be near him as much in the back line, so his numbers should be down.

But if someone had said Nic Nat and Kennedy would miss half the season and McGovern would be playing the way he was, I wouldn't have thought we'd be playing for 2nd spot in the last round!

So McGovern was on this week's episode of Back Chat and they asked him about his FA negotiations last year. And it was all pretty routine but he says a couple of times he "was a massive chance for leaving", which surprised me.

So McGovern was on this week's episode of Back Chat and they asked him about his FA negotiations last year. And it was all pretty routine but he says a couple of times he "was a massive chance for leaving", which surprised me.

I think he received some pretty substantial offers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that really stood out. They made it pretty clear that he could have been getting more money elsewhere right now. Even more surprisingly, I took him to be expressing some guilt at dragging the negotiations out, even though it sounds like a very understandable dilemna. Kudos to him, and it speaks volumes for the culture at the club right now too.

I get the feeling the McGovern boys treat their contracts as business first, relationship second, which is actually quite smart as that's how clubs treat them. They both went hard last year to ensure they maximised their earnings over their career. I wouldn't be surprised if it is partially linked to their Dad's experiences as a second rate player in the AFL - he'd know full well that careers are short and fleeting.

I get the feeling the McGovern boys treat their contracts as business first, relationship second, which is actually quite smart as that's how clubs treat them. They both went hard last year to ensure they maximised their earnings over their career. I wouldn't be surprised if it is partially linked to their Dad's experiences as a second rate player in the AFL - he'd know full well that careers are short and fleeting.

The McGovern boys were late bloomers so missed the early opportunity to maximise the salary ..Which could explain the business first attitude as Jeremy spent time earning Rookie wages and Mitch was a mature age recruit ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's the first indication I've heard that he was perhaps not odds on to stay? Who was in the hunt this time last year? Just Freo?
I recall a few "elite freo insiders" absolutely guaranteeing me that Gov was moving to freo. Like these guy's were betting their life on it.

Butler said he regrets not looking into the offers from other clubs...sounds like he might be broke post footy lol
He’d be getting a decent bit of coin from the club for his new role, and they would’ve covered the costs of his move to Melbourne one would think. Nisbett likes to look after his premiership players (unless they’re Daniel Chick)

Butler said he regrets not looking into the offers from other clubs...sounds like he might be broke post footy lol
He would never have been on much more slightly above average and is now working for the club so likely wasn’t set for life from his football career. He’s also had a marriage split so maybe not broke but not as well of as others

Sounded like it wasn’t something he thought about much while playing because he loved it at west coast but realises now that he perhaps could have leveraged the go home factor a bit more

He’s also said in a previous contract that when Mitchell came to the club at the end of 2016 his contract offer was shaved a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back