Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah I agree with the dual Gov idea just not giving up Neale for Mitch. I am sure we could find something more palatable for Adelaide.

Unless it was Mitch + Pick/s. Even then it would hurt me.
Nah..it wouldn't be mitch +picks as you are devaluing mitch and over reaching with neale who is a very good player but no fyfe or dangerfield. Don't worry we wouldn't do the deal either and as mitch is with us for 3 more seasons at least and neale felt burnt the crows overlooked him originally..it is never a likely scenario☺

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nah..it wouldn't be mitch +picks as you are devaluing mitch and over reaching with neale who is a very good player but no fyfe or dangerfield. Don't worry we wouldn't do the deal either and as mitch is with us for 3 more seasons at least and neale felt burnt the crows overlooked him originally..it is never a likely scenario☺
Mitch plays a blinder every 5 weeks and is ordinary/average the rest of the time. Lachie is good/great most weeks.

No doubt in my mind who is worth more at this point and it is Neale comfortably.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mitch plays a blinder every 5 weeks and is ordinary/average the rest of the time. Lachie is good/great most weeks.

No doubt in my mind who is worth more at this point and it is Neale comfortably.
Mitch was far more consistent this year and is 3-4 years younger than neale from memory. Like i said you can have neale and we will keep mcgovern

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Neale is just 25 and mitch is 24 later in the year. 18 months in it.

Mitch also gets injured a lot.
Oh i though neale was older as it seems like he has been around forever. Mcgovern's latest injury was pure bad luck in a collision and it sucks as he has been a match winner more recently for us. The thing mcgovern has shown this year is that he can go back and play good defence and is very adaptable (i think he could end up like his brother as a very good defender in the long run)

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Except now he would have have to play for Fremantle.
Poor Jez
upload_2018-6-1_7-59-35.jpeg

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
In the event Gov wants to go and we force a trade scenario Freo and Adelaide would be the likely clubs and two with the picks / players to deal with.

Crows indicatively have picks 7, 14, 19 and 37 so plenty to work with there. Eagles would start with 7 plus 19, 7 plus 37 would be fair, Crows would only want to give up 19 plus 37.

Freo only have one pick in the first four rounds......which is incredible. So around pick 5ish atm. No wonder they are chasing free agents.

Eagles would ask for 5 plus Brayshaw. With Cerra not committing to an extension they wont do that.

5 plus Logue would be of interest. Again Freo wouldnt be happy but they will be getting desperate.

5 plus Logue for Gov and M Allen would I think be reasonably fair.

Recall Eagles were keen on Scott Jones last draft but Freo cut our lunch.

We have two 4th rounders we may not use as well that may play a part somewhere.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
In the event Gov wants to go and we force a trade scenario Freo and Adelaide would be the likely clubs and two with the picks / players to deal with.

Crows indicatively have picks 7, 14, 19 and 37 so plenty to work with there. Eagles would start with 7 plus 19, 7 plus 37 would be fair, Crows would only want to give up 19 plus 37.

Freo only have one pick in the first four rounds......which is incredible. So around pick 5ish atm. No wonder they are chasing free agents.

Eagles would ask for 5 plus Brayshaw. With Cerra not committing to an extension they wont do that.

5 plus Logue would be of interest. Again Freo wouldnt be happy but they will be getting desperate.

If Gov comes to Fremantle, it will an offer the Eagles can’t match.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

Gov is not leaving for any reason bar a godfather deal, ie one that the Eagles can't match. There will be no trade.

If you guys can match, he stays 100%.

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Gov is not leaving for any reason bar a godfather deal, ie one that the Eagles can't match. There will be no trade.

If you guys can match, he stays 100%.

A godfather deal for a 26yr old intercepting CHB with questionable shoulders:think:

If Freo are stupid enough to do that they can have him, will likely send Freo to wallow in the bottom 8 for the next 6 years as if you over pay players other talent leaves to get paid fair coin.

Every second game Gov comes off the field with his arm hanging like a dead limb. Freo coughs up $1.2M + per year for six years and he spends half that with crook shoulders. A real bargain.;)

Double edged sword the old godfather deal.

Think Gaff will go and Gov will get his 6th year but not on $1 m base.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
A godfather deal for a 26yr old intercepting CHB with questionable shoulders:think:

If Freo are stupid enough to do that they can have him, will likely send Freo to wallow in the bottom 8 for the next 6 years as if you over pay players other talent leaves to get paid fair coin.

Every second game Gov comes off the field with his arm hanging like a dead limb. Freo coughs up $1.2M + per year for six years and he spends half that with crook shoulders. A real bargain.;)

Double edged sword the old godfather deal.

Think Gaff will go and Gov will get his 6th year but not on $1 m base.
Mate I don't make the deals give the club a call if you don't like it. Just telling you how it is going down, if it does at all.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good luck to McGovern if he gets some crazy deal. I'm glad Hawthorn aren't being linked to him.

No doubt he is a gun intercept defender, but that's all. Barrass is the preferred key-position defender, allowing McGovern more scope to intercept.

Last night, McGovern spent time on Membery (Barrass had McCartin) and got absolutely torched. Modern football commentary is whacky in that the commentators raved on about his intercept game, glossing over the fact he was defensively awful.

1 million a year is too much money for this type of player.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Good luck to McGovern if he gets some crazy deal. I'm glad Hawthorn aren't being linked to him.

No doubt he is a gun intercept defender, but that's all. Barrass is the preferred key-position defender, allowing McGovern more scope to intercept.

Last night, McGovern spent time on Membery (Barrass had McCartin) and got absolutely torched. Modern football commentary is whacky in that the commentators raved on about his intercept game, glossing over the fact he was defensively awful.

I too dont want the Eagles to 'sell the farm' to keep McGovern, if he wants to grab a big slice of the cap then someone else can pay up. We are in the business o winning flags and paying players like a Gov $1m plus pa for 5-6 years is not how its done. Just ask Hawthorn.

Gov will get well paid during and after his career at the Eagles, if he wants to be greedy then see ya.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

How do the Crows have pick 7?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wow you seem so sure of how this would turn out.

How much is this god father deal then. Since you are 'telling everyone how it will go down'?
No idea but if it is enough to make him leave West Coast I am telling you it is a lot more than you guys are willing to offer.

I am not sure what part of that you struggle with? Do you honestly think he would leave if you guys matched the offer?

He had a bad game Saturday night but generally he's very good one on one.

Champion Data had him losing the least percentage of one on one duels in the league last season, even better than Rance.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

McGovern would be great...BUT unless it is a free agency deal that does not cost draft picks, the crows IMO won't be in the running as what the last few weeks have shown is that whilst we have some very strong inside mids, once the ball gets to the outside we have been found badly wanting and if sloane leaves it only gets worse. This draft I think the club will load up with as many 1st and 2nd round picks as it can to bring in quality outside mids. Rankine could very likely end up with us as he has made it clear he loves the crows and does not want to leave SA - huge flight risk but ultra quality (he will be the crows 1st pick in the draft i think so they won't be parting with it in any trade)

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
McGovern would be great...BUT unless it is a free agency deal that does not cost draft picks, the crows IMO won't be in the running as what the last few weeks have shown is that whilst we have some very strong inside mids, once the ball gets to the outside we have been found badly wanting and if sloane leaves it only gets worse. This draft I think the club will load up with as many 1st and 2nd round picks as it can to bring in quality outside mids. Rankine could very likely end up with us as he has made it clear he loves the crows and does not want to leave SA - huge flight risk but ultra quality (he will be the crows 1st pick in the draft i think so they won't be parting with it in any trade)
Lol
rankine aint slipping to the crows pick despite how much mustard you put on it

Also laughable you think crows end up with anything lower than 10 from a finishing perspective

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol
rankine aint slipping to the crows pick despite how much mustard you put on it

Also laughable you think crows end up with anything lower than 10 from a finishing perspective
Laughable hey...

A flight risk he is. As for the crows getting a top 10 pick, we have just lost Lynch to a side strain, Douglas to an eye injury - both won't play this week. We could easily lose to Freo in Perth and then the hawks in Melbourne and be 6-7 going into the break. By the time we get some players back (assuming no more get injured), we then run into..in this order straight after the break.. WCE, Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne, Port, GWS. I can see us - unless we were at full strength losing most of them and could easily finish 12-13th this year based on the injuries we have had that has wrecked our season to date

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Laughable hey...

A flight risk he is. As for the crows getting a top 10 pick, we have just lost Lynch to a side strain, Douglas to an eye injury - both won't play this week. We could easily lose to Freo in Perth and then the hawks in Melbourne and be 6-7 going into the break. By the time we get some players back (assuming no more get injured), we then run into..in this order straight after the break.. WCE, Richmond, Geelong, Brisbane, Melbourne, Port, GWS. I can see us - unless we were at full strength losing most of them and could easily finish 12-13th this year based on the injuries we have had that has wrecked our season to date

Will pick him up ,he can go back to Adelaide later for two first Rd pick .

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will pick him up ,he can go back to Adelaide later for two first Rd pick .
you are absolutely correct..unless Rankine demands to go only to the Adelaide Crows at the end of the first 2 year contract or he will nominate for the draft thus dramatically reducing any bargaining power the club had. The other issue for the club (or any club other than the crows) to reconcile is that by drafting him in spite of the risks you then would have missed drafting another super talent in this draft that might not have been such a potential flight risk..so it probably becomes a lose lose scenario. The kid wants to become a crows B& F and does not want to leave the state....

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
you are absolutely correct..unless Rankine demands to go only to the Adelaide Crows at the end of the first 2 year contract or he will nominate for the draft thus dramatically reducing any bargaining power the club had. The other issue for the club (or any club other than the crows) to reconcile is that by drafting him in spite of the risks you then would have missed drafting another super talent in this draft that might not have been such a potential flight risk..so it probably becomes a lose lose scenario. The kid wants to become a crows B& F and does not want to leave the state....
There is no different from Lever situation , if he want to go to the his destination club ,the club need to paid up. You can't ask Melbourne to come up with two first round pick and expect other club to ask for less when your club is the destination club .

Back