Recommitted Jeremy McGovern [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

If he does switch it would be the first in over a decade, could be good signs that we start to wax instead of fighting each other. The AFL loves it that we are fighting and haven't traded in a very long time so I would be happy to do this because we can easily cover McGovern...he's not the type you need btw. You need a Kennedy or Franklin type forward.

Easily cover McGovern??? How do u cover not only our best defender but the best intercept mark in the comp (contested n uncontested) McGovern literally makes us a 3 goal better team minimum, not only does he stop more opposition attacks then most gun defenders but more times then not he does it by marking It. Where he instantly releaves the pressure on the backline, no risk of oppo small forwards crumbling a goal n doesnt cause a stoppage which is basically a 50/50 contest n even better we set up our next attack.

Who do you replace that sort of player with??

I doubt pick 15-16 (compo for gov) is going to entice a club of getting rid of one of there established key backs, (especially convincing said player to come to wce is always hard) so that rules out brining in a like for like ready made replacement in. And while we could try snag one in the draft with that first draft pick or even a slider later on in the draft that won't help us for 4 years at least.

We move barrass into the role McGovern plays, while he is going to get better he isn't half as good as gov is yet at reading the play or marking and his kicking isnt great either. Which all of sudden weakens our backline and that's before we have found a replacement for Barrass in the FB position. And these are our options are we pray eMaca(31 next year)and/or Scofield(30ny) suddenly get over all his injury worries and plays FB. Even then if they do get over there injury issues which is a massive if, both are way past there prime and I don't have much confidence they will even be up to the level to guard the oppos best key forward. We don't have any other KPB we can call on in the 2s (Allen, Rothman are still developing and years off from there prime n even then they will be 3rd tall type players). And leaves us very thin on depth for next year.

Or we try recruit a mature KBP from a rival team that looks like they have what it takes just Isn't getting the best out of himself at said club or maybe draft a Mature KBP. But I believe we need to do that either way if McGovern stays or goes. Only problem is if he goes we will be relying on someone we don't even know if the have what it takes to be an AFL footballer let alone e anywhere near McGovern .

Our premiership windows is open no n history says will only be open for a few years. And losing gcgovrn seriously damage our hopes in the next 3 years

McGovern isn't leaving mate don't get all upset over spilt milk, if you saw Pav ask him last night on the news if he liked the colour purple and Gov nearly vomited on screen. He's jacking his price up plain and simple, replacing Gov aint that hard. Barrass is already taking the back seat lock down role and would easily slip into the loose floating intercept mark. Maybe not to the same level yet but he would cover it 80%.

McGovern isn't leaving mate don't get all upset over spilt milk, if you saw Pav ask him last night on the news if he liked the colour purple and Gov nearly vomited on screen. He's jacking his price up plain and simple, replacing Gov aint that hard. Barrass is already taking the back seat lock down role and would easily slip into the loose floating intercept mark. Maybe not to the same level yet but he would cover it 80%.
Makes no sense for him to move. Playing in a very strong side, can stay at home and will also get a very good offer.

Easily cover McGovern??? How do u cover not only our best defender but the best intercept mark in the comp (contested n uncontested) McGovern literally makes us a 3 goal better team minimum, not only does he stop more opposition attacks then most gun defenders but more times then not he does it by marking It. Where he instantly releaves the pressure on the backline, no risk of oppo small forwards crumbling a goal n doesnt cause a stoppage which is basically a 50/50 contest n even better we set up our next attack.

Who do you replace that sort of player with??

I doubt pick 15-16 (compo for gov) is going to entice a club of getting rid of one of there established key backs, (especially convincing said player to come to wce is always hard) so that rules out brining in a like for like ready made replacement in. And while we could try snag one in the draft with that first draft pick or even a slider later on in the draft that won't help us for 4 years at least.

We move barrass into the role McGovern plays, while he is going to get better he isn't half as good as gov is yet at reading the play or marking and his kicking isnt great either. Which all of sudden weakens our backline and that's before we have found a replacement for Barrass in the FB position. And these are our options are we pray eMaca(31 next year)and/or Scofield(30ny) suddenly get over all his injury worries and plays FB. Even then if they do get over there injury issues which is a massive if, both are way past there prime and I don't have much confidence they will even be up to the level to guard the oppos best key forward. We don't have any other KPB we can call on in the 2s (Allen, Rothman are still developing and years off from there prime n even then they will be 3rd tall type players). And leaves us very thin on depth for next year.

Or we try recruit a mature KBP from a rival team that looks like they have what it takes just Isn't getting the best out of himself at said club or maybe draft a Mature KBP. But I believe we need to do that either way if McGovern stays or goes. Only problem is if he goes we will be relying on someone we don't even know if the have what it takes to be an AFL footballer let alone e anywhere near McGovern .

Our premiership windows is open no n history says will only be open for a few years. And losing gcgovrn seriously damage our hopes in the next 3 years
You need a key back, mmmm interesting. We need a ruck.

I tend to agree. McGovern aint moving. His manager is hawking his services around to all clubs, to bump the price & length of contract offered.

Ironically, Lycett is the one WCE might have to keep an eye on, he could be in demand for a Number 1 ruck role.

Is he worth what was paid for Lever?
Personally I think he's worth more than a single top 10 pick, but not 2 x top ten picks.

The issue is Hawthorn really have no players that WC would want or picks in the 20's as an add on.
That’s crap.

You’d take Rioli in a heartbeat if you could convince him.

I tend to agree. McGovern aint moving. His manager is hawking his services around to all clubs, to bump the price & length of contract offered.

Ironically, Lycett is the one WCE might have to keep an eye on, he could be in demand for a Number 1 ruck role.
Lycett will go I think, he would be #1 in quite a few teams at the moment.

I'd nearly swap anyone on our list for Sicily. This kid is one in a million I think.
Yeah, but he’s our dickhead. Hands off! :D

That’s crap.

You’d take Rioli in a heartbeat if you could convince him.

Huge pass on Rioli, probably only two or three I'd want and one isn't a player who struggles to get on the park now and only has one decent game in five.

Huge pass on Rioli, probably only two or three I'd want and one isn't a player who struggles to get on the park now and only has one decent game in five.
Adam Simpson would take him in a heartbeat. Not mr poppybutthole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The near 29 year old who is averaging 5.5 games a season for 2017 and 2018 so far?
Two impact injuries.

It’s not like he’s tearing hamstrings.

Two impact injuries.

It’s not like he’s tearing hamstrings.
It's more the talk of his considering retirement and spending significant periods away from the club with his family that would trouble a club swapping a durable player in exchange.

Not that it needs to be said but his time with family is not the issue, he should be where he feels he needs to be. He has greater priorities than football at the moment.

I guess we'll chalk this one up again to your sources.
Them and WC news have been super solid so far.
Bloody hell.

We’ll just forget that I tried to tell you last year that Gaff wasn’t dead against moving home to Melboure and he’s backed that up with his own words this year while weighing up his options.

Bloody hell.

We’ll just forget that I tried to tell you last year that Gaff wasn’t dead against moving home to Melboure and he’s backed that up with his own words this year while weighing up his options.

That wasn't really news though, same rumours have come up every year since he has been at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back