Jerry Cantrell

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the old Alice In Chains fans going around that haven't yet listened to Cantrell's second solo offering, do yourself a favour and go get a copy.

Boggy Depot was a good album but you could feel Jerry holding back a bit of himself and I think his not wanting to be compared to the Alice In Chains days was responsible. With Degredation Trip he's given that hesitance away and gone at it with everything in him, throwing every piece of raw emotion into his music and as all his fans knew he could, has produced an absolute masterpiece in his second solo effort.

Within 2 minutes of the albums opening you can hear where Layne's voice would have been were these the creations of Alice In Chains. And as most fans always knew, Jerry's voice alone is more than capable of holding lead throughout an album.

He's learnt from Staley too.. listen to the mid section of Spiderbite and close your eyes and you can feel Staley sitting alongside Jerry belting out the raw, honest lyrics through the pain of a heavy heart that knows the trials behind the music intimately. It goes against everything the sellout age of Nu-metal's brought around and it's gone a long way to restoring my faith in new music.

It's nice to have such quality rock back on the shelves of music stores. It's been a long while since anything new sat up and grabbed me and god how I missed it. Here's hoping there's more to come.

Should anyone wish to download a track I've whacked the first single off the album up for download HERE. Enjoy :)

ta!

Thanks Haggis.......good track...very AIC-ish. I'm going to listen to the other clips of CD Now. I've got Boggy Depot, and must admit, rarely play it beyond the first couple of tracks. Sounds like this might be a bitter. I got to interview Cantrell when AIC were here in 1993. Great guy, talked for a good hour after the tape was off. Remember he was worried about Layne Stayley even then ... at least he hung on another 9 years.

Cheers
Rupert

I was looking at his stuff in my local JB-Hi Fi the other day, thinking that I should get some. There always seems to be other CS's higher on my priority list though, but I'll pick something up one day.

The Hitman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back