Jesse Hogan club suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

If that video is from Saturday it had nothing to do with poor choices around "alcohol" consumption

I feel for the guy, he seems like a nice kid who has had to deal with more s**t than most people even ten years older than him have to go through. Hope he can get through it and sort out his issues for both himself and his family.
Didn't David Schwartz see his dad get shot in the head while he was sleeping next to him?

Schwartz is a bit of a tool but... he never used a hugely heinous, harrowing experience as an excuse.

That's because you're ignorant and have no idea how mental illness actually works.

The two arguments are not even close to correlating. How does a drunk driver running my family over, have any link with why they have the illness in the first place? Of course I'm not going to offer them the support, but what you're inferring, is that they shouldn't be offered any support at all if they take any substance.

This is pointless so I'm not going to continue, as you're clearly one of the 'get your s**t together and get over it because everyone has problems', sort of people. There's a difference between being around mental illness and actually experiencing it.

Most people actually elicit empathy though, which you're clearly failing at.

Ah wrong.
The correlation being he was out getting pissed on a Saturday night a week before his new club debut.

I have no sympathy for that choice an the consequences that come with it.

Made no comment at all about what he's dealt with in the last couple years, if you excuse him for getting drunk an fighting a week before his debut then by extension you can put down if he decided to drive to his anxiety aswell.

As soon as the club says anxiety then according to you no one is allowed to say anything that isn't positive apparently?

I feel like the people who defend these guys are actually people who have never taken drugs or met a footballer. Or, are too dumb to realise they work for peanuts.

I don't think I can watch the AFL when I see overpricued *******s talk about bravery, sacrifice, and hardship while being on $700,000 a year.

Ah wrong.
The correlation being he was out getting pissed on a Saturday night a week before his new club debut.

I have no sympathy for that choice an the consequences that come with it.

Made no comment at all about what he's dealt with in the last couple years, if you excuse him for getting drunk an fighting a week before his debut then by extension you can put down if he decided to drive to his anxiety aswell.

As soon as the club says anxiety then according to you no one is allowed to say anything that isn't positive apparently?

Lol, moving the goalposts again. I don't really care about all the rest of it. What I care about, was the initial comment you made dismissing his cancer and his dad passing away in a nonchalant, 'get over it' fashion. If you only meant to reply to the part about getting pissed and taking drugs, then you probably should have just included that first part instead of replying to the entire comment.

You don't think being on the pingers, piss and cigs might have something to do with the mental illness... Considering in the last two years Jesse has lost his father AND faced a cancer scare himself maybe we could cut him some slack and just hope he gets better instead of trying to stick the boot in.
Of course it's possible.

But there's plenty who just behave like that for the sake of it. Not because they have mental health issues. It's a footy thing, not just limited to AFL clubs.

Personally I don't care. If he's going to let his hair down fine. But gee wiz be a bit smarter about it.

Lots of things to be thankful for that are better in this day and age,

But glad I grew up in era when one took ownership of their f*** ups and problems and not this feel good hippy hugging no one is to blame clap trap.

The world is truly going to s****

I feel like the people who defend these guys are actually people who have never taken drugs or met a footballer. Or, are too dumb to realise they work for peanuts.

I don't think I can watch the AFL when I see overpricued *******s talk about bravery, sacrifice, and hardship while being on $700,000 a year.

What were you doing when you were 23? Some guys just value the good times more than being successful. As far as guys like Hogan (and Watts, Sylvia et al) are concerned perhaps making the AFL is success in itself. It would be difficult when your mates are living normal 23yo lives (which is mainly partying, drinking, drugs, chasing girls) and you have to abstain while making probably 10-20 times as much cash as they are and with 2-3 times as much free time. And that's without factoring in the fact he's been living away from home since 17, lost his dad and then had his own battle with cancer (that is over for now but who knows if and when it might return?)

I'd like to think I'd have had an iron will and discipline if I was talented enough to make the grade but to be honest sometimes that maturity and perspective doesn't come until its too late to turn things around

But glad I grew up in era when one took ownership of their f*** ups and problems and not this feel good hippy hugging no one is to blame clap trap.

I'm also glad I grew up before everything you did or said was subject to being recorded and distributed globally within minutes.

What were you doing when you were 23? Some guys just value the good times more than being successful. As far as guys like Hogan (and Watts, Sylvia et al) are concerned perhaps making the AFL is success in itself. It would be difficult when your mates are living normal 23yo lives (which is mainly partying, drinking, drugs, chasing girls) and you have to abstain while making probably 10-20 times as much cash as they are and with 2-3 times as much free time. And that's without factoring in the fact he's been living away from home since 17, lost his dad and then had his own battle with cancer (that is over for now but who knows if and when it might return?)

I'd like to think I'd have had an iron will and discipline if I was talented enough to make the grade but to be honest sometimes that maturity and perspective doesn't come until its too late to turn things around

Mate most of us would have made those decisions. The negative comments are from the assertion that it's anxiety that's cause him to drink and not his poor choices.

In fact it's becoming so prevalent in society that everyone who *s up uses some sort of get out clause to escape critisicm an it's getting impossible to sort through the real and the bullshit so people are rightfully cynical now.

Mate most of us would have made those decisions. The negative comments are from the assertion that it's anxiety that's cause him to drink and not his poor choices.

In fact it's becoming so prevalent in society that everyone who ****s up uses some sort of get out clause to escape critisicm an it's getting impossible to sort through the real and the bullshit so people are rightfully cynical now.

Yeah I can understand that. But don't pin that on him, that's the club covering their arse. Has he said he's blaming it on mental issues? I mean he may, but I'd say it would be the club/manager pushing it as a PR stunt rather than the player.

Yeah I can understand that. But don't pin that on him, that's the club covering their arse. Has he said he's blaming it on mental issues? I mean he may, but I'd say it would be the club/manager pushing it as a PR stunt rather than the player.

Id think he would have some imput on that together with his management and the dockers team.
At least he would have been made aware that that was the path they were choosing to go down.

Now that the club has made it public like that, he needs to be putting in all his time into seeking help and taking it seriously or else its just a piss take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes you wonder if Melbourne were happy to push the trade through due to issues that were not previously divulged. For a guy billed as the next big thing at Melbourne & given he was coming into his physical prime, it just didn't smell right for him to be traded out without much of a fight.
Clearly Carlton knew about Yarrans issues before trading him to Richmond & the same can be said about Bennell leaving Gold Coast.
100% yes it’s the same as Watts and I’ve stated this a few times. Simon Goodwin still goes by the no dickheads policy.

Last edited:
Freo would have been aware they were getting a ‘fixer-upper’. The guy came with baggage and he will likely require a few Peter Bell statements to the press over the coming years.

Clubs don’t put 23 year old gun key forwards on the trade table without a reason.

Freo would have been aware they were getting a ‘fixer-upper’. The guy came with baggage and he will likely require a few Peter Bell statements to the press over the coming years.

Clubs don’t put 23 year old gun key forwards on the trade table without a reason.

We didnt put him on the table, he requested a trade.

It’s a shame he is suffering with anxiety etc but it still shouldn’t be used an excuse for going out on the piss and getting into a fight literally a week before the season starts.

It’s like they throw that in there so that criticism can’t be directed at the club or the player for their very poor indescritions.

Even if I was struggling with anxiety, if I rocked up to work hungover on Monday after sloshing the reputation of my company I’d get fired and no one would give a s**t whether anxiety caused it or not.

Drunk drivers don’t get off going to jail because they had anxiety that lead them to make a poor choice whilst drinking too much.

Jesse needs to get help but there’s no excuses for ******* up so bad like this, especially at a new club.

Just another circumstance where the sting of an indiscretion is trying to be minimised through the prism of a "mental health issue".

People feeling guilt, shame and sadness due to getting caught doing something wrong doesn't equal "mental health issue", thats a normal human response. It may well be that mental health issues led to this event. However, too often, it's only conveniently revealed after the fact. Its hard not be skeptical.

If in fact he is facing some genuine mental health issues, which I admit is likely given the relatively recent passing of his father and Jesse's own medical concerns, I do hope he gets the help he requires.

Last edited:
Quick summary of thread:

- Typical West Coast fans on their high horses having a jab
- Various other club fans either having a dig/showing concern
- Melbourne fans hoping Jesse gets the help he needs

If he's struggling with anxiety I can relate. I've seen friends go too hard, too fast with clinical anxiety and/or depression in an attempt to aleviate it. Now imagine that 'that friend' is on hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. He's doing what anyone else would do in his situation (most people anyway). Not defending his actions at all - but at the same time when I've seen mates struggling, I haven't gone straight up to them after they've sobered up and wrapped them on the wrist and told them they've made a bad choice - you pick them up and try and help them.

Last edited:
We didnt put him on the table, he requested a trade.

Yeeeeah you didn’t exactly hold him back this time did you?

Be realistic.

Even though he was your best forward, and you are supposedly eyeing a flag for the first time in 50+ years, he is traded away, under contract.

He was marked as gettable very early on and despite a bit of theatrics from Freo, he was on his way out of Melbourne with a bow on him.

I’m not saying it was a bad decision, but be realistic about what Freo were buying here.

Yeeeeah you didn’t exactly hold him back this time did you?

Be realistic.

Even though he was your best forward, and you are supposedly eyeing a flag for the first time in 50+ years, he is traded away, under contract.

He was marked as gettable very early on and despite a bit of theatrics from Freo, he was on his way out of Melbourne with a bow on him.

I’m not saying it was a bad decision, but be realistic about what Freo were buying here.

Tom Mcdonald is our best forward not Hogan...
An he had 12 months left on a contract that he was refusing to extend so we didnt exactly have a choice
But yeah we didnt exactly go down kicking and screaming to lose him.

You also grew up in an era where your *ups were less likely to be caught on camera.

Edit:

I'm also glad I grew up before everything you did or said was subject to being recorded and distributed globally within minutes.
What he said.

The press is gonna drown in this over here, sorry WC the spotlight is no longer on you (not sure if sorry is the right word).

Me thinks Belly needs to get hard at this club, if Jesse was at a "harder" club (like under a Clarko for example) my fair assumption is he wouldn't have been on the drink last Saturday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back