Jesse Hogan Contract Negotiations (Titus O'Reilly)

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
They should have told them to get stuffed and forced it. If there's ever a tassie team it better be a relocated tin rattler

While I agree with you on the point of the Vic teams being forced to move and it being the main fundamental flaw in the AFL, it is a dangerous precedent to set, or idea to support. As I doubt either of us would be happy if it was the AFL forcing a move upon our respective clubs (hell I wouldn't be happy if they forced a move on you guys, due to our love/hate relationship).

Who knows what the future may hold, and I don't think I could support that forced change, as I don't like the prospect of change being forced upon my club.

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two first rounders and a player for Hogan I wold seriously consider. The player certainly won't be a Suban or some other fringe player. Maybe we could send Barlow or somehow involve WC where they send Darling and we send Ballantyne to WC (might take a bit more than that for WC to consider though)

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two first rounders and a player for Hogan I wold seriously consider. The player certainly won't be a Suban or some other fringe player. Maybe we could send Barlow or somehow involve WC where they send Darling and we send Ballantyne to WC (might take a bit more than that for WC to consider though)

WC are crazy but not crazy enough to swap Balla,s for Darling and if they did Darling would be staying at Freo. ;)

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Ballantyne holds no where near the currency it would take to secure Darling. The bit more you suggest would need to be the main part of the deal with Hayden being the "steak knifes".

Sep 4, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have a reliable sauce that tastes great with bacon and egg rolls. Make of this what you will.

I can assume you're not Muslim or Jewish?
While I agree with you on the point of the Vic teams being forced to move and it being the main fundamental flaw in the AFL, it is a dangerous precedent to set, or idea to support. As I doubt either of us would be happy if it was the AFL forcing a move upon our respective clubs (hell I wouldn't be happy if they forced a move on you guys, due to our love/hate relationship).

Who knows what the future may hold, and I don't think I could support that forced change, as I don't like the prospect of change being forced upon my club.

They've got 10 clubs divided by about 5.8 million people in the state. We've got 2 clubs for about 2.6 million, with close to 2 million in Perth. That's just over double the potential supporters each. As long as we don't get a third team in WA we'll never be at risk. Plus we're isolated out here so it'd be hard to move us on.

It'd be sad to see your club moved but at the end of the day it's a business. And the fans pay for that business. In some abstract way money you've spent on watching west coast has been put to use propping up Victorian clubs

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I can assume you're not Muslim or Jewish?

They've got 10 clubs divided by about 5.8 million people in the state. We've got 2 clubs for about 2.6 million, with close to 2 million in Perth. That's just over double the potential supporters each. As long as we don't get a third team in WA we'll never be at risk. Plus we're isolated out here so it'd be hard to move us on.

It'd be sad to see your club moved but at the end of the day it's a business. And the fans pay for that business. In some abstract way money you've spent on watching west coast has been put to use propping up Victorian clubs

I understand the logic behind it, but could never support it, as in 50 years time WA could have 4 teams and go thorugh a recession and one team needs to go (or something similar) and you would be hard pressed to be annoyed at the AFL's enforced changes if you had once supported them. I just think about it like "what if that was me".

The better route for the AFL to take would of been we are removing/limiting funding, so if you stay in VIC and dont move you better be financially viable otherwise you will be closing your doors. Then the club and it's members could decide.

What is the best business decision was deemed to have only 1 WA club (for what ever reason), would you be happy being moved? I know I sure as hell wouldn't.

What is having two metro based teams is considered not the best business practice so the one with less members gets moved to North or south WA? If that was the eagles I would be royally pis*ed.

Be careful what you wish for or support is all I am saying.

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep agreed. Would take a lot more.

But judging by their past trades i.e. Jetta, Redden, Yeo... it wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Yes it would. We gave up little for Yeo, and Jetta. And a first rounder for Redden.

Hayden doesn't have the currency of a first rounder, or a second rounder, and could be argued a similar value to Sinclair.

This doesn't address that Darling is significantly better than those three, and would have a much higher price tag.

If you threw up an offer like you did for Croad then we may be in business.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
They're not that tiny though these days hey. Melbourne, Bulldogs and Saints have 38-39k in members, North have 45k and Richmond 72k. If I was a member of the Bulldogs, given their prospects for the foreseeable, I'd be thinking they'd be a viable destination club for a marquis player like Fyfe regardless of history.
Yeah and Hawthorn have 75 thousand 'members'. Frankly pure membership number has been reduced to a PR exersize. All that matters is how much they pay and if they turn up. A club like ours has around 40000 seated members, of whom at least 75% turn up when we're doing poorly, all paying, on average, over $500 a year.
If the less successful Vic clubs were generating even half that cashflow I'd be surprised. They will never be able to attract top line players that they haven't drafted themselves in the current setup as the average player knows which side their bread is buttered. You get same same money at a small club, but at bigger ones more attention, more endorsement cash, and the crowing glory, a better chance at a flag:
Dogs / Richmond / Saints / North / Melbourne - flags in last 40 years: 4, last 15 years: 0
Big four plus Geelong: 24, last 15 years: 8

The only way they will ever be able to land marquee players is if the money clubs make off their own bat is reduced as a % of total income by increasing payments from the the TV rights pool and the salary cap is significantly increased. Then they can offer more money without compromising their list.

Silky32

Debutant
Aug 7, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes it would. We gave up little for Yeo, and Jetta. And a first rounder for Redden.

Hayden doesn't have the currency of a first rounder, or a second rounder, and could be argued a similar value to Sinclair.

This doesn't address that Darling is significantly better than those three, and would have a much higher price tag.

If you threw up an offer like you did for Croad then we may be in business.

Someone would give a second rounder for Ballas. 30 - 40 sounds about right (to a Freo fan at least...). He has some unique traits that a few clubs would jump at, which is why Mayne is looking at a fat contract.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling

If you threw up an offer like you did for Croad then we may be in business

Outright trolling

lets get this thread back on track, Hogan is not worth #3 + next years 1st + a solid young player

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Prestia won't even be the third best midfielder at Richmond, let alone a marquee player of the comp...
He is top line though.

I actually think that most of those clubs could attract any player wanting to go to Melbourne. It's the on field stuff that has stopped them. Get that sorted out, and they will become a destination club. From Memory Judd was tossing up between Carlton, the Pie's and Melbourne.

The dee's having the G as their home ground plus the history i think would be the number 1 destination if they sorted out their on field.

The Pie's and the Hawks went through sustained periods of sucking. Once they sorted out their on filed they became destination clubs.

In a nut shell it is pretty much cyclical, unless the AFL intervene i.e. Sydney.

Outright trolling

lets get this thread back on track, Hogan is not worth #3 + next years 1st + a solid young player
Yeah, two top 5 picks should be enough. No need to throw a good young player in as well

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Someone would give a second rounder for Ballas. 30 - 40 sounds about right (to a Freo fan at least...). He has some unique traits that a few clubs would jump at, which is why Mayne is looking at a fat contract.

We can disagree on Ballas, nearly 30, and has been poor the last two years. I wouldn't think he has much currency. But I guess I could see a club right on the edge, offering something in the hope it would push them over, cant think of who though.

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
Yeah, two top 5 picks should be enough. No need to throw a good young player in as well

5365007-2969552759-ohyou.jpg

JohnW

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Outright trolling

Don't be so sensitive.

But judging by their past trades i.e. Jetta, Redden, Yeo... it wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Both post were made tongue in cheek.

Hogan is defiantly worth pick 3, your 1st next year and a solid young player. But I don't think the AFL will allow it due to you guys having traded last years 1st. So you would need to somehow bring in another 1st this year?

I see what you did there.

Hopefully our pick will be in the teens next year.
Jokes aside, you won't be finishing bottom 6 again next year. You'd think middle 6 (7th-12th) would be your range, above or below that would be a surprise.

If hogan wants to leave this year makes a lot of sense for both Fremantle and Melbourne because pick 3 is a valuable trading chip and will make finding an acceptable trade a lot easier.

Back