Jesse Hogan Contract Negotiations (Titus O'Reilly)

Remove this Banner Ad

2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 - seven years, you're right - just shy.
The other note is that 2013 may not count as he wasn't technically on an AFL list as a mini draftee. That part is questionable though and you can see the argument from both sides.

The other note is that 2013 may not count as he wasn't technically on an AFL list as a mini draftee. That part is questionable though and you can see the argument from both sides.

2013 doesn't count, the AFL cleared this up with some GC players. Free agency starts from when you can first play a game of AFL.

www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-10/suns-knocking-on-free-agency-door

I think it's interesting that both Lobb and Hogan signed on till the end of their 6th year on the same day, when both probably could've asked for more years. I wonder if their management got word that the AFLPA got their way in the CBA and reduced free agency to 6 years. I'm not saying they'll leave but it has become common practice for players to sign until they reach FA.

2013 doesn't count, the AFL cleared this up with some GC players. Free agency starts from when you can first play a game of AFL.

www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-10/suns-knocking-on-free-agency-door

I think it's interesting that both Lobb and Hogan signed on till the end of their 6th year on the same day, when both probably could've asked for more years. I wonder if their management got word that the AFLPA got their way in the CBA and reduced free agency to 6 years. I'm not saying they'll leave but it has become common practice for players to sign until they reach FA.

Coming out of contract at the time, give you some serious leverage I assume.

I think a previous poster explained how it could give a club time to prepare to salary cap to make an almighty offer to a player who, may have already tasted finals success (For Lobb this seems a certainty, for Hogan a good possibility) and is now prepared to come home.

Could work really well for Freo considering how young Fyfe is, and still being a major draw card at that time.

His father is battling cancer back in Perth but the club was reassured his dad was not urging him to come home, more intent on his son doing what is right for his career.

Saw many rumors in BF on this.
Probably a good thing for us he decide to resign with Melbourne.
Hogan would have cost us an arm and leg.
And to get him due to his father's condition just does not feel right. May end up being the reverse of McCarthy, where being in WA is being more distracting than it does him good.
Hope his father recovers well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it will. The noise coming from the AFL suggests that they are not crash hot on FA due to the inequality it creates.

That's an understatement if I've heard one. If the AFL had their way there would be no free agency at all. It's the AFLPA that are pushing and I think it's only a matter of time before the restrictions are eased one way or another.

If the players can head to more open FA and still maintain their power over any trades (unlike in many pro sports where consent of the player is not required in a trade), then they're going to be laughing.

If the players can head to more open FA and still maintain their power over any trades (unlike in many pro sports where consent of the player is not required in a trade),
Surely it can't be both. The players have all the power - even the non -free agents. Look at JOM. He's played 3 seasons and now dictating where he wants to go.

Clubs should be able to trade non-free agents to wherever they get the best deal.

You bloody beauty . We haven't sold the farm, kept next years crop and and will bring in one of the top 3 kids in the country . Now we can back in Apeness,Tabs and McCarthy. Tom Boyd just proved bigs don't happen overnight. Bring on next season.:D
Thoroughly agree. trying of Hogan or lobb would have put us in debit of future 1st and 2nd picks for next 2-3 yrs. going after contracted players gives no wriggle room lets see how much of the farm we have to sell to get Hill & McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back