Jesse Hogan Contract Negotiations (Titus O'Reilly)

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot believe how many people are so nonchalant with losing Fyfe. He is our first Brownlow winner, one of our youngest Doig winners, absolute beast of the competition and all around good bloke from Lake Grace. Seriously, the media has created this myth and I can't believe our fans are buying it. I feel like people forget that he was a gigantic reason for us being 9-0 in 2015.

I suggest anyone who suggests trading Fyfe from now on get at least a reprimand. It's like shipping out your mother just so you can potentially get two more cool uncles.

He has a fashion label etc

I have a feeling Freo will have to offer him well over a million a year just to keep him. It will make it hard to fit all the young players in the cap and make it hard to rebuild.

Okay that's just silly. He has a fashion label so he's all about the money?
If Fyfe is offered well over a million a year, it will be because he is the best player in the competition. But I don't think he will be. He will be the best paid player on the club list (and should be) but his pay will be supplemented with advertising contracts and ambassadorial roles. And he will know what the club's finances will be about, and is no James Hird.

He probably won't need too. We will give Fyfe a blank check and a pair of Freo Helicopter headphones.
Better still buy him one of these.
latest

Paint it purple and swap the missile launchers to T shirt launchers so he can fire F7 merch around the new stadium before games.;)

People often try to copy the hawthorn model on field for success including poaching coaches. But having great talent signing for non exhaustive salaries to fit more talent onto the list is what we should be emulating. Get it right off the field.

Just saw hogan on the news saying he was 50/50 earlier in the year about coming home. I could be reading into it too much but if I were a Melbourne supporter I wouldn't be overly confident of Jesse signing again after the 2 years is up. He seemed a bit wishy washy. Anyway, neither here nor there.

He has a fashion label etc

I have a feeling Freo will have to offer him well over a million a year just to keep him. It will make it hard to fit all the young players in the cap and make it hard to rebuild.

He's just got many irons in the fire. Making sure he has stuff to fall back on once his footy career is over. Smart fella imo

In many ways the fact that he is already making plenty of money outside football means he doesn't need as big a pay cheque from FFC. It will be interesting to see what happens next year but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes against the BS media speculation and accepts a more reasonable figure (should still be around $1m/yr) to maximise Freo's chance of a premiership under his captainship. Either way I can see it being heavily front loaded as we should have plenty of spare money over the next two years.

It really yanks my chain when people hate on marquee players being "all about the money" and "looking out for number one." Anyone in any profession is entitled to look out for their financial future first and foremost, particularly in an industry where the end of your career is just an injury away. Who else will look out for them? The Club? We keep harping on the value of loyalty to the club that developed you, but are quick to state that there should be no sentiment in list management.

Can't be clearer how this point is illustrated by what's happening with Mick Barlow right now. Jumped at the chance to extend, no quibbles, good on him - rather than have a look at what interest could be generated in Victoria when he had currency. Now he's out of contract, living in uncertainty while he's waiting to be shopped around.

Let's face it. Sentiment is dead in sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really yanks my chain when people hate on marquee players being "all about the money" and "looking out for number one." Anyone in any profession is entitled to look out for their financial future first and foremost, particularly in an industry where the end of your career is just an injury away. Who else will look out for them? The Club? We keep harping on the value of loyalty to the club that developed you, but are quick to state that there should be no sentiment in list management.

Can't be clearer how this point is illustrated by what's happening with Mick Barlow right now. Jumped at the chance to extend, no quibbles, good on him - rather than have a look at what interest could be generated in Victoria when he had currency. Now he's out of contract, living in uncertainty while he's waiting to be shopped around.

Let's face it. Sentiment is dead in sport.

I agree on the most part but to be fair we showed Mora a lot of a faith even though every time he came out of contract other clubs circled.

I'm not sure, it is lightly armoured a sonic BOO and flying knitting needles would ground it fairly quick.

Naaah its all good. Half a dozen chardies and those boooo-urns won't even see him coming, let alone get off an accurate shot. That and the wind off the rotors will tangle those knitting needles in knots. Those old dears will be fully involved looking for their teeth and hearing aids.

Justy opinion if we all had the same opinion these threads would be boring as f

But yeah feel free to hate on me

And there you go sooking because a succession of people criticised your opinion.

And instead of considering your opinion and either arguing for it, or possibly changing it, you get defensive, and claim your right to an opinion, but don't back it up.
Next you'll say something like "agree to disagree", which is a dishonest way to say - "I was wrong, but f...ed if I'm going to acknowledge it."

Well you did say I should feel free...

Naaah its all good. Half a dozen chardies and those boooo-urns won't even see him coming, let alone get off an accurate shot. That and the wind off the rotors will tangle those knitting needles in knots. Those old dears will be fully involved looking for their teeth and hearing aids.
I can picture that in my mind:p

Doesn't Fyfe have a deal with Adidas now as well? He will be set for money and losing 100K a year to stay here won't bother him, he wants a premiership and our planning for the future (heavily involving him, coaching while injured, being told about the plans etc) will cause him to stay.

Surely it can't be both. The players have all the power - even the non -free agents. Look at JOM. He's played 3 seasons and now dictating where he wants to go.

Clubs should be able to trade non-free agents to wherever they get the best deal.

Who knows?

But if the AFLPA allow clubs to make the call on players contracts without their consent, the the AFL/Clubs are going to give up an awful lot. I reckon the only way it would happen is if the remove all restrictions completely, or close to it. So basically players become (R)FA after 2 years or some such. Even then, I just can't see the AFLPA ever giving it up. They're on a good thing that most pro-sports in the world don't have, and they'll forever keep it if they can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back