Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

So pretty much the opposite to what Belly did on Friday eh?
One statement as opposed to all the little leaks of offers, facility visits etc during the week. Did you not see all those or has your Vic bias blinded you or have you only jumped on board since the evil Peter Bell hurt someone’s feelings cos they didn’t take what was demanded?

How dare Freo show some cohunas

Do I really need to copy and paste links to educate you how the AFL was formed ?
Sorry mate, but without expansion the VFL was going bust. National exposure for bigger dollars in advertising, sponsorship and attendance saved the league. You’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

I would rather just keep Hogan. However Melbourne are in a very fortunate position to have Tom McDonald and now Weideman looks like he can fulfill his potential. May stabilises the back 6.
Hogan has apparently also asked for us to explore trade options as he wants to go home. He is OOC next year so from a club perspective we can capitalise on a key player wanting to go home.
He doesn’t want to go home. He hasn’t requested a trade. This is Melbourne politely pushing him out the door now that he’s somewhat surplus to requirement and they need to fix other areas of the list. Poor form from Melbourne trying to dress it up as player welfare.

He doesn’t want to go home. He hasn’t requested a trade. This is Melbourne politely pushing him out the door now that he’s somewhat surplus to requirement and they need to fix other areas of the list. Poor form from Melbourne trying to dress it up as player welfare.
I’m sure you don’t actually believe that. If it is true I’m expecting Hogan’s management to call Josh Mahoney out for such poor form.

settle down there lucy....ummm to make the eagles pay more you know put more pressure like the melb footy club is doing with all the so called jornos with a twitter handle
Wouldn't inflating the value of inferior players in the market run contrary to your club's primary aim of bringing Hogan in?

How do you know that?

Hogan could have asked Melbourne to try facilitate a deal to get back home.

And if Melbourne had done that Hogans management would come out and publicly slam them.

Or Freo disguising that they haven’t been chasing him for years?

How do you know that?

And if Melbourne had done that Hogans management would come out and publicly slam them.

When there is a chance he will need to play there next season? Jason Dover wouldn't be making any public comment.

If I was Freo, I would have flicked Neale for 5 and change early in the week. Kept pick 6 and said no to Hogan this year. Gone to a loaded draft with those two highs picks and made a play for Hogan next year if he is still available.

The upside being as the trading period wears on, listen to any foolish kitchen sink offers from the SA clubs trying to move up. They may have panic traded a fortune.

I’m sure you don’t actually believe that. If it is true I’m expecting Hogan’s management to call Josh Mahoney out for such poor form.

How do you know that?

I was replying to a post where it was stated ”...from a club perspective we can capitalise on a player wanting to go home.”
I didn’t know he wanted to go home. He hasn’t said he wants to go home. I haven’t seen anywhere where he or his management said he wants to go home. Point me to where he or his manager have said he wants to move back to Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was replying to a post where it was stated ”...from a club perspective we can capitalise on a player wanting to go home.”
I didn’t know he wanted to go home. He hasn’t said he wants to go home. I haven’t seen anywhere where he or his management said he wants to go home. Point me to where he or his manager have said he wants to move back to Perth.
It would be highly unprofessional of Mahoney if he made this up. I seriously doubt he would have. And as I said he’ll be called out if this is the case.

Sorry mate, but without expansion the VFL was going bust. National exposure for bigger dollars in advertising, sponsorship and attendance saved the league. You’re kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
You've inserted detail that wasn't part of any discussion point.

My assertion was and is that the AFL is the VFL rebranded. Which, of course, it is.

You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

“At the end of the season, Jesse expressed his interest to explore other opportunities, and to return to Perth and play for Fremantle. We believe our offer was reasonable given Jesse’s record as a 71-game player,” General Manager of football operations Josh Mahoney told Melbourne Media.

“Jesse has been with us since he was 17 and has gone through some well-documented personal issues, particularly in the last two years, so we were comfortable to support his request.

“It was made clear to Jesse that if we were unable to complete an appropriate deal for both clubs, he will remain a Melbourne player.

“Both us, and Jesse, were happy with this.”

All this bravado from Failo.
Lets fadt forward 12 months
No hogan no neale and they're still s**t.

Keep up the good work and the lolz with the hardline stance.

will be interesting to see the reaction of Freo fans if they don't land Hogan and have another rubbish season
This after they have been talking him up as their saviour for years

Demons play their first final since 2006, in that time wins the wooden spoon twice and gets assistance from the AFL with additional draft picks and football department support (cough Paul Roos) and in that time get fined for tanking, but yeah, Freo are s**t.

The temerity of some Melbourne supporters on here...

You forgot tanking

If in any way you are suggesting Steven May is as valuable to your list as Jesse Hogan, then no I do not get it at all. Jesse Hogan is twice the player Steven May is, and even if Melbourne decided to play Jesse Hogan down back, he would still be a better player than Steven May is. This list balance BS is for amateurs. Its something I only hear come out of Mahoney's mouth - usually right before he overpays for a player like Jake Lever. When Jesse Hogan is tearing it up next year and Steven May looks like Steven May, then blokes like yourself will be on the the next buzzword.
No-one has said May is more valuable than Hogan. No-one has said May is the better player. But when a player wants to go home you try and make the most of the situation.

We need an experienced and reliable key defender. A player for the Josh Kennedys of this world. We don't presently have one. But we do have three quality key forwards. And I know how highly rated the 21 year old Weideman is internally.

May improves our side and defence significantly. Our forward-line with Tom McDonald, Weideman, Melksham, Petracca, Hannan or Fritsch is already quality. We were the highest scoring side in 2018 for a reason.

In my opinion, we're closer to a flag with May at full back than Hogan at full forward.

But, as I said, we can't lose. We either keep Hogan or make the side better with May.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

Last edited:
Do you think you lot pot shotting Bell should wait till trade period is actually over? Or dont care if you end up looking stupid, just want to get on that bandwagon?

Looks to be shitting the bed atm. That's all people are going off. He's traded away pick 6 for scraps. Opinions will be changed if needed in 3 days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back