Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Correction.
Melbourne offered him a chance to return to WA and leaked his visit to the facility. Yes, Freo have chased him.
Petulance is a good description for Mahoney and Melbourne fans when the historic trade deal doesn’t happen how they expect.

Melbourne posters were talking up picks 4 and 5. It’s been reported (probably an exaggeration because you know, Journos) that Melbourne asked for 4,5 and Cerra or Brayshaw for Hogan. And when Bell didn’t fold, your list manager spat the dummy in the press, Journos disgraced themselves with their hysterical overreactions and the stupider Melbourne and neutral posters on here shook with rage (literally!) as they typed their condemnations. And you call Bell petulant? Please.

Bell didn’t fold, his initial offer was simply ridiculous. You either offer what is is worth, ie two firsts or picks 5 and 20 for the one of the best forwards in the competition or you walk away, it’s not that hard.

What about the rage from Freo fans about Neales value and thus holding up other trades? Incompetence is the only way to see it.

Barrysballs

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seems like an opinion piece mate. Calm down.
Lol seamed a bit aggressive due to caps was just trying to differentiate from what he said and what i thought.
Yes just an opinion piece i just wish they would say that instead of writing it as fact like he did

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jay Clark is someone who seems to historically got a bit right from a Melbourne perspective. Has an article up tonight suggesting we would likely have settled on 5 and 23. In Neale is traded I assume the deal will be something like that. He also suggested Melbourne will trial him as a key defender is he isn’t traded.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Bell didn’t fold, his initial offer was simply ridiculous. You either offer what is is worth, ie two firsts or picks 5 and 20 or you walk away, it’s not that hard.

What about the rage from Freo fans about Neales value and thus holding up other trades? Incompetence is the only way to see it.

Is this all a distraction because Dee's supporters don't want to admit Mahoney doesn't know what hes doing?

Josh is the one who basically told the public that they need Jesse gone to do a trade they want to do. Now we have to do a deal that makes Gold Coast happy? Sure.

Last edited:

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Lol seamed a bit aggressive due to caps was just trying to differentiate from what he said and what i thought.
Yes just an opinion piece i just wish they would say that instead of writing it as fact like he did

99% of football media is bullshit. The dust will settle in a few days and everything will be ok. Hopefully Jesse ends up where ever he wants to be. The boy needs some things to go his way I reckon.

Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bell didn’t fold, his initial offer was simply ridiculous. You either offer what is is worth, ie two firsts or picks 5 and 20 for the one of the best forwards in the competition or you walk away, it’s not that hard.

I feel this has been said about a thousand times over the weekend, but I’ll say it again.
If the choice was to offer pick 5 and 20 or walk away, we don’t have pick 5, so we walked away. People seem to be struggling with this concept.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
And you seriously think Freo will ever have a chance of landing him now after this?

I expect him to sign a long term contract with us or join West Coast in 2020.

Who knows what might happen next year but so far (trade period isn't over yet) Freo have decided that the picks and topping up our young list is more important than over paying for Jesse Hogan.

Bell didn’t fold, his initial offer was simply ridiculous. You either offer what is is worth, ie two firsts or picks 5 and 20 or you walk away, it’s not that hard.

Well if we listen to the media it seems Melbourne would have been happy to accept 5 and 23 (Let's skip the parts where we don't have picks) and say we listen to the media again and we offered 11 and future 2nd (say 22 if we finish bottom 4) the difference in pick points isn't all that much tbh. (about 500 points or pick 36)

5 and 23 = 2693 points (Melb would accept)
11 and 22 = 2174 (Freo offered)
11 and 22 and this years 30 = 2803 (Freo overpay)
11 and 22 and this years 49 = 2461 (Melb slightly unders to what they would have accepted)

(all numbers from here https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#)

So looking at that I don't think 11 and future 2nd was as big a insult as some of you have made out.

As for Neale's value well we've said all along we want to keep him and we want more than pick 5. Brisbane have only offered pick 5 (again assuming we listen to the media) and we'll know more about that negotiating over the next couple days.

As for comparing Value between the two well I mean we don't expect to get pick 2 or anything like we did for Weller so I think it's best if we keep them separate.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
The unfortuante thing is Melbourne will ******* smash freo in 2019 with or without Hogan, just remember that boys

Thanks captain obvious. Both teams looking to find some consistency with one aiming for top 4 and the other aiming for as many wins as possible while developing our list.

Poor attempt at a troll.

Who knows what might happen next year but so far (trade period isn't over yet) Freo have decided that the picks and topping up our young list is more important than over paying for Jesse Hogan.

Well if we listen to the media it seems Melbourne would have been happy to accept 5 and 23 (Let's skip the parts where we don't have picks) and say we listen to the media again and we offered 11 and future 2nd (say 22 if we finish bottom 4) the difference in pick points isn't all that much tbh. (about 500 points or pick 36)

5 and 23 = 2693 points (Melb would accept)
11 and 22 = 2174 (Freo offered)
11 and 22 and this years 30 = 2803 (Freo overpay)
11 and 22 and this years 49 = 2461 (Melb slightly unders to what they would have accepted)

(all numbers from here https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator#)

So looking at that I don't think 11 and future 2nd was as big a insult as some of you have made out.

As for Neale's value well we've said all along we want to keep him and we want more than pick 5. Brisbane have only offered pick 5 (again assuming we listen to the media) and we'll know more about that negotiating over the next couple days.

As for comparing Value between the two well I mean we don't expect to get pick 2 or anything like we did for Weller so I think it's best if we keep them separate.
As I have said throughout trade period:

The only time points matter is when there is an academy player involved.

Noone involved - Fremantle, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Brisbane, have significant academy interest this year.

That whole argument is a crock of s**t.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Jay Clark is someone who seems to historically got a bit right from a Melbourne perspective. Has an article up tonight suggesting we would likely have settled on 5 and 23. In Neale is traded I assume the deal will be something like that. He also suggested Melbourne will trial him as a key defender is he isn’t traded.

Could do a Chris Tarrant and turn his career around down back. Would be good.

Could do a Chris Tarrant and turn his career around down back. Would be good.
"Turn his career around" because 150+ goals in 71 games isn't a bloody good output. Spare me.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

And yet, according to Melbourne’s tame journos, Melbourne were prepared to accept an offer just 5 picks ahead of that ridiculous initial offer. Apparently.

The difference between Hogan and Neale is that Fremantle don’t want Neale to go. Even now, if the deal falls through, Freo will consider it a win, and then will try to spend 2018 trying to change his mind, or hope that his new wife gets pregnant and wants her family around her. They really have set a price, which makes it a win,win situation. (Well, almost; losing Neale is a loss whatever happens).

If Melbourne keep Hogan, they lose the chance of getting May, which they would prefer.

There may have been rage from some fans because Brisbane is playing games, but nowhere near the apoplexy from many Melbourne fans.

Incompetence? That would be counting your chickens before they hatch. We’ll get rid of Hogan for a historic trade and then use those picks to get May and some change for the draft. Is Mahoney’s job safe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Is this all a distraction because Dee's supporters don't want to admit Mahoney doesn't know what hes doing?

Josh is the one who basically told the public that they need Jesse gone to do a trade they want to do. Now we have to do a deal that makes Gold Coast happy? Sure.
You have terrible comprehension skills. Clearly clubs seek out players during the season. Even if they don’t think they’ll have the currency to get them. But then again what if one of your players wants out. Did you guys know at round 1 Neale wanted out? Of course not. You need to do your leg work early. Or you’ll miss out.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
As I have said throughout trade period:

The only time points matter is when there is an academy player involved.

Noone involved - Fremantle, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Brisbane, have significant academy interest this year.

That whole argument is a crock of s**t.

The reason I brought up the points system was to compare the offers given and show that they are indeed not that different from what Melbourne "apparently" would have accepted. They are not the be all and end all. Just a way to see maybe we didn't "low" ball as bad as what Melbourne fans thought. Maybe your love of Hogan and what he's been through has impacted your price tag.

I mean just look below and what you personally want. It's well off the mark of what was reported Melbourne would have accepted.

Not enough for Hogan IMO.

Personally want either three firsts (4+5+2019 1st) or two firsts plus Langdon

The reason I brought up the points system was to compare the offers given and show that they are indeed not that different from what Melbourne "apparently" would have accepted. They are not the be all and end all. Just a way to see maybe we didn't "low" ball as bad as what Melbourne fans thought. Maybe your love of Hogan and what he's been through has impacted your price tag.

I mean just look below and what you personally want. It's well off the mark of what was reported Melbourne would have accepted.

My comparison is based on a 23-year-old KPF with a form record which stacks up against some of the best players ever to play the game at his age.

What would a 23-year-old Buddy Franklin have been worth in a trade?

There's a serious underrating of Hogan around here. I don't want him to go, but at the same time, it's pretty destabilising to have the 'will he won't he' drama rock around every two years. So I don't blame the club. Personally, I still think they'll demand 5 (from the Neale deal) plus 11.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos

I reckon it'll all happen once Bris offer more than #5 for Neale. You get something like #5 and maybe two more picks. Whatever we have after #11 will be yours or future trades. You get Bris future 2nd as a part of #5 and 2nd from us.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
You have terrible comprehension skills. Clearly clubs seek out players during the season. Even if they don’t think they’ll have the currency to get them. But then again what if one of your players wants out. Did you guys know at round 1 Neale wanted out? Of course not. You need to do your leg work early. Or you’ll miss out.

We'd gladly keep Neale, Geelong would gladly keep Kelly, Dee's supporters (not all) want Jesse gone if he won't commit long term now and apparently Mahoney and the Dee's are angry at Freo that we haven't got a deal done.

Hmmm.

Mahoney has looked pretty amateurish.

If that’s what Freo wants, I don’t know what else needs to be said.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
My comparison is based on a 23-year-old KPF with a form record which stacks up against some of the best players ever to play the game at his age.

What would a 23-year-old Buddy Franklin have been worth in a trade?

There's a serious underrating of Hogan around here. I don't want him to go, but at the same time, it's pretty destabilising to have the 'will he won't he' drama rock around every two years. So I don't blame the club. Personally, I still think they'll demand 5 (from the Neale deal) plus 11.

Look don't get me wrong here, I would love Hogan to be in purple and any one who says otherwise is an idiot but at what cost? 2 high picks and a good player for Hogan? That'd be more than what Judd was worth. Is Lance Franklin at the same age worth more than Hogan, yeah without a doubt.

He probably cost you more than what Judd did tbh. He kicked 100 goals in his 4th season alone. Franklin is verging on 1000 goals at AFL level. He is a generational Talent. I don't believe Hogan is and obviously Roisch and Bell agree with that assessment which is why we only offered 11 and 2019 2nd (again allegedly).

Now allegedly 5 and 23 would be acceptable which isn't far off what we offered in the first place. The offer was not "insulting" as some have put which is my whole point earlier to the other poster who seemed a tad angry.

So you still think that Hogan is worth picks 5 and 11 even though allegedly Melbourne would accepted 5 and 23. So say we get 5 for Neale well that means we aren't offering 11. You can have 23.

edit: Which also means you seem to be overrating Hogan's Value if your own club would have accepted less than what you think they'll demand.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We'd gladly keep Neale, Geelong would gladly keep Kelly, Dee's supporters (not all) want Jesse gone if he won't commit long term now and apparently Mahoney and the Dee's are angry at Freo that we haven't got a deal done.

Hmmm.

Mahoney has looked pretty amateurish.
Do you even read peoples posts? Or just go off half cocked? Clearly Melbourne as a professional sporting organisation is going to capitalise on a key player wanting to go home. Capitalise by way of using that to fill a need. We’re getting on the front foot. But if a deal isn’t done, well your staying with us. And the player is happy to stay. Kelly is also happy to stay another year if he can’t get to WC. Neale is not happy and is demanding a trade from all reports. Nothing about happy to stay next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back