Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
No worries mate. You effectively paid 11 and 12 ie. 2 first rounders.

Would have loved higan to stay, but he was leaving this year or next. I hope he goes well.

Let's have a squizz shall we

11 & 12

real life 6 & 23

Specsavers is your friend

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
No worries mate. You effectively paid 11 and 12 ie. 2 first rounders.

Would have loved higan to stay, but he was leaving this year or next. I hope he goes well.

You're using draft points to try and push the whole "you really paid two first rounders" aren't you?

Give it a rest will champ. Might as well say "Hey we'll trade you picks 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 and 55. You give us pick 10 and call it even yeah"

Stupid argument.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're using draft points to try and push the whole "you really paid two first rounders" aren't you?

Give it a rest will champ. Might as well say "Hey we'll trade you picks 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 and 55. You give us pick 10 and call it even yeah"

Stupid argument.
How else do you suggest you objectively evaluate a deal?

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
How else do you suggest you objectively evaluate a deal?

Don't focus on the individual trade and look at the overall period for your club.

Melbourne Out: Hogan, Tyson
Melbourne In: May, KK, Pruess

(there's more there but I'm not sure what else Melbourne have done in trades of picks/players except those ones)

Then judge how you think your own club went. Did they improve the current list or improve their draft standing? Or both?

Freo for example

Freo Out: 6 (2018), Rnd 3 (2019), Rnd 4 (2019) and Neale
Freo In: 14, 31, 43, 65, Hogan, Lobb, Coyler and Conca (FA)

Yeah we moved down the order but we still maintain a first round pick. Picked up a pick in each of the next 3 rounds and added the players.

Overall I'm happy and I think Melbourne would be too. Both teams improve their list.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dees very happy to have targeted a player for the second year in a row and landed him. I can’t get a read on the hogan situation. The club didn’t seem overly fussed to lose him and were also conscious of his request to be back home.
We’re in a very fortunate position with Tmac and now Weideman looking like he’ll make it. The key backs were an issue and May will really help us back there.
In looking at 6 and 23 it’s unders. But we’re trying to put the finishing touches on a flag tilt. Also Kolodjashnij could be a very good pickup if he gets himself back in form.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Don't focus on the individual trade and look at the overall period for your club.

Melbourne Out: Hogan, Tyson ,Kent
Melbourne In: May, KK, Pruess

(there's more there but I'm not sure what else Melbourne have done in trades of picks/players except those ones)

Then judge how you think your own club went. Did they improve the current list or improve their draft standing? Or both?

Freo for example

Freo Out: 6 (2018), Rnd 3 (2019), Rnd 4 (2019) and Neale
Freo In: 14, 31, 43, 65, Hogan, Lobb, Coyler and Conca (FA)

Yeah we moved down the order but we still maintain a first round pick. Picked up a pick in each of the next 3 rounds and added the players.

Overall I'm happy and I think Melbourne would be too. Both teams improve their list.

Sep 20, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
Dees very happy to have targeted a player for the second year in a row and landed him. I can’t get a read on the hogan situation. The club didn’t seem overly fussed to lose him and were also conscious of his request to be back home.
We’re in a very fortunate position with Tmac and now Weideman looking like he’ll make it. The key backs were an issue and May will really help us back there.
In looking at 6 and 23 it’s unders. But we’re trying to put the finishing touches on a flag tilt. Also Kolodjashnij could be a very good pickup if he gets himself back in form.

I feel like for Melbourne they made a decision that they want to push for that premiership. Saw they needed/wanted May and decided that Hogan would be there big chance to get him for 2019.

They went out and did that. They would have loved to keep Hogan but probably saw May as the bigger piece to the premiership puzzle. That's all.

Ultimately an equitable result, both sides did ok out of it, no-one lost face / got on the wrong end of a lopsided trade at this stage.
We’ll see down the track who ‘wins’.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I feel like for Melbourne they made a decision that they want to push for that premiership. Saw they needed/wanted May and decided that Hogan would be there big chance to get him for 2019.

They went out and did that. They would have loved to keep Hogan but probably saw May as the bigger piece to the premiership puzzle. That's all.
Yeah I think if hogan didn’t request a trade and if he indicated he’d extend then I guess we’d have kept him.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers

Stupid argument.
I’d much rather 6 and 23 than the pick 18 and future first rounder (14 at best) Brisbane got for Beams, just as an example. As would most people I suspect. It’s not a stupid argument. Your scenario by comparison is an unrealistic one.

In any case, people get hung up on the trade and picks in isolation. It’s about the end result as you say. You left out pick 23 in our return from the Hogan trade and the pick swap with St Kilda to move up in the draft. So the sum of our trade period was:

In: May, KK, Preuss, 23, 28
Out: Hogan, Tyson, Kent, 36, 46

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Rubbish he flipped flopped. He played his hand brilliantly. Effectively we got Hogan, Lobb picks 14,31 and 43 for Pick 6 and Neale. Best trading work done by freo since our inception and Ive followed the team since Day 1.
He made a public statement that they were out for Hogan on Friday, when they really didn’t have to say a thing. Made the club and himself look amateurish. He flip flopped publicly and everyone saw through it.

He had the assets in a top 7 pick (which is rolled gold this year) and Neale to pick up Hogan and Lobb without playing games.

They gave up a star in Neale and a future star for pick 14 who should be decent, Lobb (who should be ok as long as he play forward but won’t get any better at 26) and Hogan who is a gun and will be your best pickup in decades if his mind is in it and his navicular isn’t as serious as what people are saying.
The best trading they have done in a long time, but that’s not setting the bar high.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
He made a public statement that they were out for Hogan on Friday, when they really didn’t have to say a thing. Made the club and himself look amateurish. He flip flopped publicly and everyone saw through it.

He had the assets in a top 7 pick (which is rolled gold this year) and Neale to pick up Hogan and Lobb without playing games.

They gave up a star in Neale and a future star for pick 14 who should be decent, Lobb (who should be ok as long as he play forward but won’t get any better at 26) and Hogan who is a gun and will be your best pickup in decades if his mind is in it and his navicular isn’t as serious as what people are saying.
The best trading they have done in a long time, but that’s not setting the bar high.
It only made him look amateurish if you don't get trading.(which clearly you don't).After Melbourne was publicaly demanding two top ten picks we got Hogan for less than most freo supporters were describing as a reasonable trade. The lowball offer of pick 11 and a future second made Melbourne reevaluate their demands of two top ten picks or no trade. The navicular injury was cleared as not serious by multiple doctors and he didn't need surgery. Just for the record most players Lobb's height peak thirty or above. Think Salmon, J.Madden, Sandy and pretty much every 205cm+ player with talent who has played the game. The above post certainly sets the bar low in terms of understanding how the trade period works that's for sure.

Last edited:

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
After demanding two top ten picks we got Hogan for less than most freo supporters were describing as a reasonable.
Heh. You’re calling me deluded and you believe the above.
Bell flip flapped. No one believed his bluff but he had the assets to pony up and he did. That’s what happened. Not sure why that’s so hard for some to understand.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Just for the record most players Lobb's height peak thirty or above. Think Salmon, J.Madden, Sandy and pretty much every 205cm+ player with talent who has played the game.
Lobb isn’t a ruckman like the guys you mentioned though. One year he averaged 20 hit outs a game - his personal best. Another year he kicked almost 30 goals - another PB. He’s not quite a tall forward, not quite a ruck. More a tall utility. A handy player, but no Salmon, Madden, Sandy. Laughable to compare him to them.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Bell flip flapped. No one believed his bluff but he had the assets to pony up and he did. That’s what happened. Not sure why that’s so hard for some to understand.
Sometimes you have to have a certain level of education to appreciate good art when you see it.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I’m not sure what Sherrif said in your quote was wrong.
The Melbourne list manager publicly said that he he expected to get an historical trade. Plenty of journos suggested that Melbourne was asking for pick 5 and 6 initially, possibly with a young Victorian player thrown in. The articles are still online for you to find.
Most Freo posters on here thought 6 and a late first round pick would be fair. You can look up the thread on the Freo board to verify.

Maybe you should think before you post, if you are capable.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I’m not sure what Sherrif said in your quote was wrong.
The Melbourne list manager publicly said that he he expected to get an historical trade. Plenty of journos suggested that Melbourne was asking for pick 5 and 6 initially, possibly with a young Victorian player thrown in. The articles are still online for you to find.
Most Freo posters on here thought 6 and a late first round pick would be fair. You can look up the thread on the Freo board to verify.

Maybe you should think before you post, if you are capable.
Pick five and six and a player for Hogan?
Link the articles and I’ll admit I’m wrong.
Not expecting a response on this. It’s ok though you finally got your big fish so glad you guys are happy.

Last edited:
Back