Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

No but that doesn't fit the the narrative that he is being played out of position by the knock the club no matter what they do brigade
It's funny, I thought I'd just go and watch our goals from the game and pay close attention to where Hogan was and if he had any involvement. Every single one he was inside 50, every single one he played some role - the smallest of those roles was keeping his defender away from other leading forwards so they had a 1v1 contest. So many times he made a contest, and we either scored from it or at least had an opportunity.

It's honestly worth watching and seeing what Hogan does... guy is going to be an absolute gun for us when the forward line starts to gel*.
https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2019-04-15/all-the-goals-rd-4-v-eagles

* and the connection with our mids for the delivery gets better.

I hope this isn’t directed at me, if it is then you have completely missed my point.

I love Jesse Hogan!

So happy to have him at our club.

My point is that we finally have an excellent KPF and we continually have him playing too far up the ground. Moving him away from our goals to put out a spot fire is poor / lazy coaching. Have a problem in midfield, then find another solution. Moving Hogan is what every opposition coach wants. He could have 30 possessions in midfield and they won’t mind a bit.

I’m not saying he plays solely out of the goal square, but having him as a constant forward threat will give our forward thrusts a focal point which we desperately lack.

In my opinion only of course.

Hadn't read your post in truth.

Not directed at anyone specifically TBH, just a general view that this is how it will play out if he doesn't start kicking goals soon.

Jesse as a full fwd = lazy player who spends his time wrestling with the defender, getting no separation and only scoring from balls over the back and mostly uninvolved

Kicked most of his goals when he was released upfield

It's funny, I thought I'd just go and watch our goals from the game and pay close attention to where Hogan was and if he had any involvement. Every single one he was inside 50, every single one he played some role - the smallest of those roles was keeping his defender away from other leading forwards so they had a 1v1 contest. So many times he made a contest, and we either scored from it or at least had an opportunity.

It's honestly worth watching and seeing what Hogan does... guy is going to be an absolute gun for us when the forward line starts to gel*.

Shhhh, narrative And all that.;)

Maybe we should get him to spend more time down there then. Based on him being close by and involved in all of our goals, we should score more. Might even score enough to win?

Maybe we should get him to spend more time down there then. Based on him being close by and involved in all of our goals, we should score more. Might even score enough to win?
The point is, if he is down there for all our goals then its very likely that he is down there alot...

Seriously though, Hogan didn't play midfield on the weekend, he did the prior two games but did anyone actually see him at a centre bounce or around the ground stoppage on the weekend?

The point is, if he is down there for all our goals then its very likely that he is down there alot...

Seriously though, Hogan didn't play midfield on the weekend, he did the prior two games but did anyone actually see him at a centre bounce or around the ground stoppage on the weekend?
Exactly this. Think people have mistakingly assumed where he had "disposals" also shows where he was most of the time - which is incorrect. All a disposal location shows is that a player was there at some point - not the duration they were there. After watching those goal highlights I agree it's more likely he was i50 a lot more often than I thought watching live - it's just he didn't register many possessions when there - perhaps because we bombed it on his head and all he could do was make a contest.

Yep we actually have the makings of a pretty special forward line with Macarthy, Tabs, Hogan, plus a couple of quality smalls in Swift and Walters. Just need the mid sized X factor player to finish it off. Enter the Sturt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By stay at home full forward you mean stand in the goal square.:rolleyes: What is a stay at home full forward ? As far as I can tell all Forwards move around the forward half. Show me one who doesn't.
A stay at home forward stays home & raises the kids while his wife\husband\gender nuteral goes to work during the week

Yep we actually have the makings of a pretty special forward line with Macarthy, Tabs, Hogan, plus a couple of quality smalls in Swift and Walters. Just need the mid sized X factor player to finish it off. Enter the Sturt
I reckon the X factor can be any size it likes apart from tall.

Caleb Serong in the coming draft sounds interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hogan is an elite football talent. You could play him at full back and he would do OK. I think his best games of footy have been roaming, running hard and grinding down his opponent. I don't think stay at home forward is his best role. 2 AFL coaches agree with my thinking. That doesn't make it right, but it helps me rest on that thought.
IMO, he was never recruited for the stay at home forward (I think Lobb was though) and that romaing role is what he will play for us.

I've had a word to Ross and he agreed that Hogan could play CHB as a compromise.

Thought Bennell was great in the contest, there was at least 5 times I counted on the replay that he was outnumbered, Gov was floating in front or from the side and Hogan brought the ball to ground. McGovern normally feasts in those situations leading to quick attacks from Sheppard etc. Jesse was very influential and we haven't seen close to his best yet.

Remember Chris Tarrant!!!! recruited as a forward, but where did we find his correct spot!!!!!!
HMMM maybe not so silly.It isn't , is it?

I think the fretting about Hogan spending a game down back is pretty stupid.

What other options if Hamling is out and Logue and Kersten are not fit? Cox isn't really a backman IMO.

Speaks more to list management than it does to Ross, should have picked up a KPD option in the last couple of drafts.

Remember Chris Tarrant!!!! recruited as a forward, but where did we find his correct spot!!!!!!
HMMM maybe not so silly.It isn't , is it?
Because he was a terrible forward at the time. Couldn't find the goals with a map and a torch.
Hogan has the potential to be the best forward we've had since Pav.
So no. not the same thing.

I think the fretting about Hogan spending a game down back is pretty stupid.

What other options if Hamling is out and Logue and Kersten are not fit? Cox isn't really a backman IMO.

Speaks more to list management than it does to Ross, should have picked up a KPD option in the last couple of drafts.

Ummmm, Brennan was an all Australian backman at junior level.

BRENNAN COX
13/8/98, 194cm, 90kg
Woodville-West Torrens

The South Australian defender was named an All Australian after the mid-year championships and he's a player with plenty of promise.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-24/callum-twomeys-2016-phantom-draft

Nah, speaks to Ross if Jesse spends any decent amount of time as a backman this week or any week.

For a guy who is trying to find his groove in our team I don't see any benefit whatsoever to chopping and changing the guy through different positions.

I was hoping this would be mentioned at some stage if we were undermanned in the backline - just for the melts..lol

But seriously, it’s about a balanced team and winning games. It’s not the end of the world to play Hoges down there for a couple of weeks. My preference would be Cox (U18 AA chb) but he’s underdone coming back from injury. Hoges has a huge tank and competes hard, great match up for Cameron and an opportunity to show his commitment and footy brain. Would essentially be chb/ centre based on the way the game is played.

Allows us to bring in Darcy to compete with Mumford and allows Lobb to stay at FF. If our forward line bigs can gel without Hoges, it allows us to use him as a mobile/ roaming/marking HFF / utility ala Pav. Yes he has been a dominant forward but we are no ordinary team ....haha. Gives us good options for rotations too.

V GWS
Wilson Pearce Duman
Conca Hoges Ryan
Hill Mundy Langdon
Walters Tabs Cerra
McCarthy Lobb Matera
Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw
Tucker Coyler Hughes Switta

Ideal
Wilson Hamling Duman
Conca Pearce Ryan
Hill Mundy Langdon