Rumour Jessie Hogan Out Indefinitely for Mental Health Reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty funny considering what’s currently happening at freo

‘there were no drugs or alcohol involved’p bell 5 mins after hogan rolled his car

yes we get it ..25 years of embarrassing failure has made freo supporters extremely salty. It’s why they bring something from 16 years ago every 13 seconds

maybe concentrate on the junkie currently on your list
Mate this will be the only time I respond to you as the crap that constantly spews out of your mouth & onto these forums is second to none.
You are incapable of having a serious conversation & constantly personally attack other posters because you have no sensible response.
Jesse Hogan has his issues but the topic of conversation that I was responding to was West Coast.
Just remember you are a supporter, nothing else & have contributed nothing to West Coast & their success, except perhaps some membership dollars. Stop carrying on like you’ve personally contributed to their success, because all you do is wear a beanie & a scarf, just like everyone else.

Mate this will be the only time I respond to you as the crap that constantly spews out of your mouth & onto these forums is second to none.
You are incapable of having a serious conversation & constantly personally attack other posters because you have no sensible response.
Jesse Hogan has his issues but the topic of conversation that I was responding to was West Coast.
Just remember you are a supporter, nothing else & have contributed nothing to West Coast & their success, except perhaps some membership dollars. Stop carrying on like you’ve personally contributed to their success, because all you do is wear a beanie & a scarf, just like everyone else.

Relax purple I’m sure it’s just a media conspiracy

Petracca is now 24 and entering his 6th year in the comp, he's still an inconsistent half forward and hasn't hit the potential he showed pre Draft. He's not a kid anymore.

Obvious to say potential is delivering somewhere near your expected peak as a junior ability wise, none of the players listed above hit that on a regular basis for Melbourne. I'm not sure why you are so defensive about it, your on field results for the last decade and a bit reflect just how badly your failure to develop all that top talent you had access to. There's been a lot more misses than hits in that period.
I think I already covered the we ****ed up bit. But tracks is doing fine and getting better. Not that you or anyone else cares, but I’m happy with the pick.
Not defensive, and think you are right on the rest, but he is in a different basket. Of all our players he is the one i worry the least about

We know he had a full blown addiction before arriving at RFC, they seem to have some semblance of control over him via constant drug testing but as soon as he got back to that marvellous environment of WA, bingo!!
Business as usual .
please keep on topic , I dont want to have to go through all the eagle druggies living and dead.
The only thing with less of a pulse is your football club.

Hogan to be sacked by Freo before round 1. Then GWS will pick him up in the mid season draft to top up for a flag.

If Hogan wants to truly recover from this mental illness as well it's in his best interest to give up the drugs and to ease back on the alcohol quite a bit. Sure that may not be the whole problem but it's a decent chunk of it. The sooner he gets away from the party lifestyle and dedicates his time to getting better the sooner we can see him back out there, hopefully soon enough, and hopefully the fans welcome him back warmly with a big round of applause at his first home game back.

Not really how it seems to work now. Back in the day you got out on the piss/other too much and the club would tell you to pull your head in. Now you say "mental health" and everything becomes a murky shade of grey. Personally I find it all just a bit convenient how often players acting out just happens to coincide with mental health diagnoses. I know nothing of Hogan's circumstances but Freo coming out early with the mental health card backs them into a corner a bit IMO. How hard can you a player once everyone knows "he's got mental health"?

If I drink a dozen pints chances are I'll feel anxious the next day. It's a reaction/response. Last night, no pints. Today, no anxiety. Do I "have" anxiety? Not most of the time, but like most people how comfortable I feel depends on the situation I'm in. But if I drink myself into a stupor then all of a sudden I do. Would be rich of me to claim mental health every time someone questioned why I was so drunk I could barely speak.

Not really how it seems to work now. Back in the day you got out on the piss/other too much and the club would tell you to pull your head in. Now you say "mental health" and everything becomes a murky shade of grey. Personally I find it all just a bit convenient how often players acting out just happens to coincide with mental health diagnoses. I know nothing of Hogan's circumstances but Freo coming out early with the mental health card backs them into a corner a bit IMO. How hard can you a player once everyone knows "he's got mental health"?

If I drink a dozen pints chances are I'll feel anxious the next day. It's a reaction/response. Last night, no pints. Today, no anxiety. Do I "have" anxiety? Not most of the time, but like most people how comfortable I feel depends on the situation I'm in. But if I drink myself into a stupor then all of a sudden I do. Would be rich of me to claim mental health every time someone questioned why I was so drunk I could barely speak.
Absolutely spot on. Well said

Also for those playing at home this is from 2006:

"I think it is (depression) ... you would have to talk to his doctors for the label for what's going on in Michael's mind," Nisbett said.
"But certainly there are some issues we all need to deal with, and that is why we are concerned about him.

"The thing we are grateful about is no-one was hurt in the accident. Above all that, we would like to think we could help Michael with his future, with the counselling he needs to get his life back in order.

"The depressed state he is in at the present stage and has been for a little while is certainly of grave concern to us, and we want to help Michael wherever we can."

Confirmed dickhead doing dickhead things (again) and we were right on board the mental health train even back then when it barely registered.

Makes me feel for the players (and people in general) who aren't complete dickheads that have mental health troubles.

Also for those playing at home this is from 2006:

Confirmed dickhead doing dickhead things (again) and we were right on board the mental health train even back then when it barely registered.

Makes me feel for the players (and people in general) who aren't complete dickheads that have mental health troubles.
The question is, was he depressed before or after the accident?

But that was the greatest spin doctor & deflector of truths of all time at his best!

The question is, was he depressed before or after the accident?

But that was the greatest spin doctor & deflector of truths of all time at his best!

2006 while 14 years ago was the end of Gardiner's time at WC. He had been there since the 1996 draft and was well and truly on his last last warning by then. Was he depressed the whole time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is a good way of putting it– how many times are players with innuendo around them (Hoges, Beams, Buddy) also the ones with mental health issues and how often are mental health challenges really brought up by someone who isnt a reported pisshead/gamblor??

Jonathan Hay retired in early 2007. From his Wiki page:

In August 2006, Hay held a press conference to announce he had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder three years earlier. He said his symptoms increased in 2006, which he gave as a reason for why the year had "gone bad for [him], on and off the field".[1]

After disputes over his contract during the 2007 pre-season,[2] it was announced on the day of the Kangaroos' first NAB Cup game that Hay would be retiring from the AFL. His contract was paid out in full, despite his acknowledged problems with drugs and alcohol.

In March 2007, an interview by Craig Hutchison with Hay was aired on The Footy Show. Hay said during the interview he wanted the chance to tell Kangaroos supporters and the football public in general the reason for his sub-standard form, which he said was due to illicit drug use that he said exacerbated his mental health condition.[3] Hay also spoke of a stalker who harassed him on a regular basis for several years.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Hay_(footballer)#cite_note-4

I remember a few years before that Nathan Thompson spoke about suffering from depression, and coincidentally he also moved from Hawthorn to North. He is one of the few players I can remember coming forward when there appeared to be no hint of an ulterior motive.

2006 while 14 years ago was the end of Gardiner's time at WC. He had been there since the 1996 draft and was well and truly on his last last warning by then. Was he depressed the whole time?
Yes, my point is I’d be depressed after that incident whether or not I was previously.

I think Mitch Clarke was definitely battling as well.

Yes, my point is I’d be depressed after that incident whether or not I was previously.

I think Mitch Clarke was definitely battling as well.

Clark always struck me as a bit of an attention seeker. Bailed on Brisbane citing homesickness then took the money at Melbourne. Retired at Melbourne citing mental health (after he kept getting injured) then decided he was really to come back - just not with the Dees.

At the same time it is very common for people with mental health issues to 'self medicate' with a whole range of substances and behaviours. If I'm depressed and start drinking a bottle of wine every night to cope and then start drinking one in the morning did I have a mental health problem? Yep and now I've added substance abuse to the mix.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it goes the other way or that mental health is outright used to PR bad behavour. Still if we don't know Hogan then we don't know what combination, if any, he is dealing with but what stays the same regardless is it's pretty rare for someone to start successfully managing their mental health without addressing how they misuse or abuse their chosen substances.

Clark always struck me as a bit of an attention seeker. Bailed on Brisbane citing homesickness then took the money at Melbourne. Retired at Melbourne citing mental health (after he kept getting injured) then decided he was really to come back - just not with the Dees.
Yeh, but that’s the thing, how does mental illness present itself?

Is the fact he behaved like that a sign of some sort of illness? He was definitely different to most, was that because he wasn’t quite thinking straight & that is the illness?

I don’t think we can really know as we don’t know any of their history.

Last edited:
At the same time it is very common for people with mental health issues to 'self medicate' with a whole range of substances and behaviours. If I'm depressed and start drinking a bottle of wine every night to cope and then start drinking one in the morning did I have a mental health problem? Yep and now I've added substance abuse to the mix.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it goes the other way or that mental health is outright used to PR bad behavour. Still if we don't know Hogan then we don't know what combination, if any, he is dealing with but what stays the same regardless is it's pretty rare for someone to start successfully managing their mental health without addressing how they misuse or abuse their chosen substances.

Very true.

Major difference between AFL footballers and regular folk is that most of us aren't drug tested or reliant on strict physical conditioning to ply our trade. I can go out after work tonight and have a couple of beers and it's got nothing to do with my employer. If I am a bit dusty tomorrow then I can just get a bacon and egg toastie and a coffee and get on with it. Mine site workers are drug tested but it's a pretty simple equation there; test positive and window seat home. No 3 strikes and counselling etc.

Someone like Hogan would have FFC personnel watching him like a hawk. Diet, conditioning, social activity, social media activity.. he'd be in regular contact with the head coach, forwards coach, sports psych, club doctor, conditioning coach... if he's going out sinking tins or snorting lines then there's no chance the club aren't aware of it and trying to intervene.

Yeh, but that’s the thing, how does mental illness present itself?

Is the fact he behaved like that a sign of some sort of illness? He was definitely different to most, was that because he wasn’t quite thinking straight & that is the illness?

I don’t think we can really know as we don’t any of their history.

It's all too neatly wrapped up in a little bow for my liking.

Mental health awareness is great, but it's being twisted into a bit of a get out of jail free card.

Part of being an elite athlete is mental toughness, and toughness and weakness are just two ends of the same scale. It's no a popular opinion in 2020 but you can still be mentally weak (or at least mentally not very strong) without being mentally ill. Granted I am not a great swimmer anyway but there's no ******* way I would have the dedication to get up at 4am every day for years on end to swim tens of km of laps each and every week - but that is what it would take to succeed in that sport. Some have the ability and the dedication, some have one or the other and some have none.

Everyone is wired differently. Daniel Menzel did ACL rehab for 4 years. Alex Johnson didn't play an AFL game between the 2012 GF and 2018. Lasted two games and did yet another ACL and his immediate reaction was to do the rehab and try again. Most people just couldn't do that. On the other hand I get someone like Tom Boyd (I respect him a lot for not just expecting to be paid of millions of dollars) not enjoying the spotlight, pressure of playing footy, but where do you draw the line between losing interest/enjoyment in playing footy and medically justifying it? It's a very grey area.

you wanna see the local oval young Jesse learnt to kick goals at. maybe the most beautiful ground in the country hanging over the swan.

private school, guaranteed an amazing career at 16.

not much adversity at all really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back