Cars & Transportation Jetstar's new 7kg carry on policy and crackdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has anyone flown domestically with Jetstar since? Usually I pack my single suitcase with as much as I can get into it (but only ever take up the one spot in the overhead) and carry my laptop in my hand.

I was wondering if they would really weigh my luggage when I try to get on the plane with as I say a single suitcase and laptop.

I flew with them from Melbourne to Christchurch on the 29th, Queenstown to Auckland on the 6th and Auckland to Melbourne last night.

They did mention it a few times but they didn't seem to be enforcing it per se.

Probably not worth the risk, though.

How much surchage does he pay for extra baggage?

66188824.jpg

If you take up more than one seat, you should pay for more than one seat.
Their should be special seats for people with a BMI over 35 or a Girth of over a certain amount. The rest of us shouldn't have to compromise the minimal comforts of cattle class for the comfort of the morbidly obese. They're not mere deserving just because they consume enough to feed an African Village.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst thing about 'cheap' airlines offering flights without luggage included is the plane is full of people bringing everything includng the kitchen sink on board, leaving little room for all of the baggage. I understand jetstar reducing it, as current allowances on some airlines is really crazy and flight attendants often have to move everyone's bags everywhere before the flight in order to get it all in. What would have been nice though is if they at the same time reduced the cost of cabin luggage, but that's business.

Worst thing about 'cheap' airlines offering flights without luggage included is the plane is full of people bringing everything includng the kitchen sink on board, leaving little room for all of the baggage. I understand jetstar reducing it, as current allowances on some airlines is really crazy and flight attendants often have to move everyone's bags everywhere before the flight in order to get it all in. What would have been nice though is if they at the same time reduced the cost of cabin luggage, but that's business.

About to type the same thing...the crap I have seen with people stuffing crap into those overhead compartments beggars belief.

Good. All airlines should do the same. The s**t people bring on cabin luggage these days is ****ed. Since when is a basically full sized suitcase considered hand luggage? Plus a laptop bag, a "handbag" the size of a small car and two shopping bags.

If you're in the second half of people boarding there's no room for anything in overhead with all this s**t. Trying to drag all this s**t down the aisle and knocking out people in the process.

They have those size test things at check in and they're just ignored.

Two items per person max. Weighed and measured. Otherwise check it in.

Melb- Singapore 2010 Jetstar
LA- Melb 2011 QA
Mel- Cairnes 2012 Tiger
Mel- London 2014 QA
Rome- London 2014 BA

You want me to go through each flight of pre dep and post dep squabbles because the wrong size suitcases wont fit or what EG do you mean?

Melb- Singapore 2010 Jetstar
LA- Melb 2011 QA
Mel- Cairnes 2012 Tiger
Mel- London 2014 QA
Rome- London 2014 BA

You want me to go through each flight of pre dep and post dep squabbles because the wrong size suitcases wont fit or what EG do you mean?
No like what they took on the plane

Anything out of the ordinary or just ******* big suitcases?

No like what they took on the plane

Anything out of the ordinary or just ******* big suitcases?

Hand luggage that was under weight just, but were inappropriate for the overhead luggage. Problem is that people want to put these in the overheads that are full with legit back packs/handbags etc and then get the shits up because they cant have their med suitcase ABOVE them directly.

I did the right thing so don't touch my s**t I think.

If I'm going for <3 days (ie most trips I take), I generally won't book luggage.

I'll take a suit bag (jacket, 2xpants, 3x shirts), a 'laptop case' (small case meets size requirements) with other clothing, extra shoes, toiletries, computer and charger, phone charger, ipad and charger, a couple of client files, a4 organiser, etc. I'd also wear jeans and a jumper/jacket which would be taken off as soon as I'd boarded.

I'd easily exceed the 7kg limit most times. Only once I was asked (last to board, no room overhead and attendant took the bag), and it was 12kg. Nowhere near the heaviest I'd taken either.

The issue shouldn't be weight, as much as how awkward it is to fit in.There is space for a small case for every passenger on virtually every flight, yet many people will have 2-3 times that amount.

I flew last week with them, my suitcase was 7kg but my (small) handbag was full, so if they'd enforced the 'combined' weight of my carry on I would have had to pay. They pulled up someone near me when boarding for having a bag that was too large, not sure if it was too heavy and I'm not sure what the repercussions were. Either way they didn't seem to be enforcing the new weight limit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back