Jett Lawrence, has he overtaken Jeff Leisk as our best ever?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
At a raw age of 18 (just!) he has taken the AMA MX 250cc championship, notedly just after falling short of the AMA supercross championship at the tender age of 17.

There is no doubt he will be one of the GOAT'S as time goes on in MX and SX history, and likely replace Jeff as our greatest ever. He has sharp competition in his brother Hunter (his current team mate) who has also shown unbelievable speed in his already lengthy career and still has many years to shine at just 22 and finished a comfortable 3rd in the same championship.

I will note however as far as home grown talent he has really REALLY big boots to fill:

Obviously, the probably most considered Australia's GOAT is Leisk and there are others in that conversation debate.

Craig Dack
Sharky McFarlane
Chad Reed

All these guys are world stage household names, probably not so much (apart from Chad) in Australia but certainly worldwide in the MX sphere.

Has Jett already overtaken Jeff?

Honorable mention on the world stage - Jedd Beaton, Michael Byrne. Feel free to add others I may have missed.

And IF both brothers again contest the 250cc championship next year is Hunter a threat? I think so, has shown as much speed albeit not as consistently and will have similar resources in the same team.

Discuss.

EDIT. Deano Ferris.

Last edited:

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Not even close to the greatest Australian yet but enormous potential.
Results don't yet compare to Reed so if Leisk is better than Chad, Jett is - to date - at best a distant third.

Could well be the world's best in a couple of years though.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Not even close to the greatest Australian yet but enormous potential.
Results don't yet compare to Reed so if Leisk is better than Chad, Jett is - to date - at best a distant third.

Could well be the world's best in a couple of years though.

Yeah have to agree, obviously he'll get there but boy he has some mountain to climb to get above Chad and Jeff.

He has so much speed and will only improve, we could be witnessing the beginning of another Herlings...................... yeah I know that is a real stretch but the potential is there.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Showing my age but Jeff Leisk was regarded the equal of Charlie West by many good judges.

In the late 1950s, the Australian Motorcycle News magazine acclaimed twenty-one-year old motocross rider Charlie West as the best in the land.

West was the legend of that era dominating all classes, including the prestigious Unlimited (All Powers) on a BSA Gold Star and C15 Starfire BSA in the 250s.

The young Western Australian won six Australian ‘Scrambling’ Championships in the late fifties and early sixties, as the sport was named in those days, and more than 20 State motocross titles across the country – in all states.

Charlie West achieved this success despite experiencing a near fatal accident racing solos at Claremont Speedway, after winning his first Australian Motocross Championship at Moorebank, NSW in 1956 in the prestigious Unlimited (All Powers) class.
West missed the 1957 Australian Motocross Championship due to his injuries, but amazingly bounced back to win the 350cc and Unlimited classes in Launceston, Tasmania in 1958.

On home soil, West won the famous Harley Scramble at the Rope Works circuit in Mosman Park two years in a row – in 1958 and 1959 and in front of 20,000 spectators.
West could have easily won more titles at home as he spent four years racing International motocross and Grand Prix events in Europe between 1961 to 1964, when he was at his peak.
He represented Australia in a World Championship Grand Prix in France and, on 14 October 1963, he was a member of the winning side that beat the British in a test match at Pembury, near Brands Hatch.
In front of over 180,000 spectators, West placed second at the famous Teterow International grass track event in East Germany, and won many International events across Europe.
And after winning an International event three times in the South of France, West was awarded the keys to the City by the Mayor in a special street ceremony attended by thousands.
Throughout his motocross career, West won six Australian Motocross Championships and more than 20 State titles in five separate motoring sports – motocross, short circuit, speedway stockbikes, TQ’s and Speedcars.

Video – Charlie West’s Motocross Life Story

I was at the Ropeworks circuit in the the late 50s thanks to my good ol' Dad. Scrambling as it was called then was a very popular spectator sport with the stars well known in sporting circles.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Showing my age but Jeff Leisk was regarded the equal of Charlie West by many good judges.

In the late 1950s, the Australian Motorcycle News magazine acclaimed twenty-one-year old motocross rider Charlie West as the best in the land.

West was the legend of that era dominating all classes, including the prestigious Unlimited (All Powers) on a BSA Gold Star and C15 Starfire BSA in the 250s.

The young Western Australian won six Australian ‘Scrambling’ Championships in the late fifties and early sixties, as the sport was named in those days, and more than 20 State motocross titles across the country – in all states.

Charlie West achieved this success despite experiencing a near fatal accident racing solos at Claremont Speedway, after winning his first Australian Motocross Championship at Moorebank, NSW in 1956 in the prestigious Unlimited (All Powers) class.
West missed the 1957 Australian Motocross Championship due to his injuries, but amazingly bounced back to win the 350cc and Unlimited classes in Launceston, Tasmania in 1958.

On home soil, West won the famous Harley Scramble at the Rope Works circuit in Mosman Park two years in a row – in 1958 and 1959 and in front of 20,000 spectators.
West could have easily won more titles at home as he spent four years racing International motocross and Grand Prix events in Europe between 1961 to 1964, when he was at his peak.
He represented Australia in a World Championship Grand Prix in France and, on 14 October 1963, he was a member of the winning side that beat the British in a test match at Pembury, near Brands Hatch.
In front of over 180,000 spectators, West placed second at the famous Teterow International grass track event in East Germany, and won many International events across Europe.
And after winning an International event three times in the South of France, West was awarded the keys to the City by the Mayor in a special street ceremony attended by thousands.
Throughout his motocross career, West won six Australian Motocross Championships and more than 20 State titles in five separate motoring sports – motocross, short circuit, speedway stockbikes, TQ’s and Speedcars.

Video – Charlie West’s Motocross Life Story

I was at the Ropeworks circuit in the the late 50s thanks to my good ol' Dad. Scrambling as it was called then was a very popular spectator sport with the stars well known in sporting circles.

Soz for the late reply but this is a Kwality post!

Post of the year! Excellent!

As for Jett I think we have possibly the GOAT of Aus dirt bike racing to come, big call I know, to go past the great flying freckle AND Toby and Dacka! is no mean feat. That is some feat for ANY rider, let alone our boy from the Sunshine Coast.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Soz for the late reply but this is a Kwality post!

Post of the year! Excellent!

As for Jett I think we have possibly the GOAT of Aus dirt bike racing to come, big call I know, to go past the great flying freckle AND Toby and Dacka! is no mean feat. That is some feat for ANY rider, let alone our boy from the Sunshine Coast.

With you totally - sadly I was never much good on 2 wheels, but the Lawrence clan are going to do us proud for years to come. Qantas should sponsor their helmets ....
Remy & Oli are a chip of the ol' block ;).

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
With you totally - sadly I was never much good on 2 wheels, but the Lawrence clan are going to do us proud for years to come. Qantas should sponsor their helmets ....
Remy & Oli are a chip of the ol' block ;).

And on 4 wheels we've got Oscar Piastri too! Didn't get an f1 seat for next year but will probably in 23

Back