Welcome to East Germany JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
According to recent data Sydney have the largest supporter base in the country so by association South Melbourne are the biggest Vic club ever!

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apologies, had you confused with the Port supporter I originally replied to.
I said not many, as in you call an Essendon supporters meeting in Adelaide & I'll hire the Hope Valley Scout Hall... I'm tipping half the chairs won't be needed.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I said not many, as in you call an Essendon supporters meeting in Adelaide & I'll hire the Hope Valley Scout Hall... I'm tipping half the chairs won't be needed.

Why would Essendon supporters attend a meeting in Adelaide? We had 86,000 odd members in 2022 and I doubt many of them would turn up to some random meeting either.

What a bizarre metric.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why would Essendon supporters attend a meeting in Adelaide? We had 86,000 odd members in 2022 and I doubt many of them would turn up to some random meeting either.

What a bizarre metric.
It was sarcasm dude I know you lot like to think the world revolves around you over there, but the reality is the only attention you ever really get in other markets like SA & WA from the vast majority is when you play Crows, Port, Eagles & Freo.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It was sarcasm dude I know you lot like to think the world revolves around you over there, but the reality is the only attention you ever really get in other markets like SA & WA from the vast majority is when you play Crows, Port, Eagles & Freo.

I get the feeling people not from Victoria think Victorians care a whole lot more about what they're doing than Victorians actually do.

Collingwood has a much bigger reach outside their home state than any of the WA / SA clubs. Sydney (being ex South Melbourne) might be the only non-VIC club with meaningful support outside their home state, meanwhile Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton all have good support outside of Victoria.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It would be pretty weird if the SA and WA markets weren't focused on their own teams...

He also plays for a team which has won 9 games over the last three seasons. Port haven't won less than 10 games in one season since 2012.

You don't understand just how much you've owned yourself here do you.

The Kangaroos finished bottom of the ladder, when West Coast played multiple games during the year with top up players that only met their teammates on the Friday before the game.

All clubs have downcycles, but if you're a small club (I think we can all agree that by any metric North are a small club) struggles (see GC player loses compared to GWS who have had more success and retained players better over the long term) then its going to be very very hard to retain talent, especially when every man and their dog knew JHF wanted to be in South Australia before he was drafted.

Thing is, we haven't struggled to retain talent. Indeed, we let Jason go, we could have held him to his contract

Not disagreeing with your general thread, but in reality it's a bigger club in the Crows that's had the biggest talent drain over the medium term imo.

I get the feeling people not from Victoria think Victorians care a whole lot more about what they're doing than Victorians actually do.
I get the feeling people from Victoria think non-Victorians care a lot more about what they're doing than they actually do as well.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All clubs have downcycles, but if you're a small club (I think we can all agree that by any metric North are a small club) struggles (see GC player loses compared to GWS who have had more success and retained players better over the long term) then its going to be very very hard to retain talent, especially when every man and their dog knew JHF wanted to be in South Australia before he was drafted.
Yes they do, North in their wisdom decided to try and maintain a spot in the middle of the ladder somewhere and it was always going to bite us eventually.

We have pretty good player retention all things considered, yeah we lost JHFF, but as you said he was always going home. Importantly 'home' wasn't SA but Port Power.

So had JHFF wanted to stay in Adelaide it would have been at the Crows, which we now all realise that wasn't an option for him. Had it been I'd suggest we'd have done the trade with the Crows. And as we weren't really serious about doing a deal, one does wonder what we could have cooked up had we been really considering it.

All Jason would have needed to say via his manager was that he's super excited to play for North but his long-term goal is to return home.

Anyway he'll be great for Port and we did well in the end.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't Ess v Rich draw a bigger crowd than WC v Rich a week later at the same venue in Perth?

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's be fair here, no one else aside from the Crows (obviously) considers Port important enough to be rivals either.
Brisbane says hi

Also, pretty hard to have Carlton be considered a rival when they still haven't won a game at Adelaide Oval.... How humiliating...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Collingwood has a much bigger reach outside their home state than any of the WA / SA clubs. Sydney (being ex South Melbourne) might be the only non-VIC club with meaningful support outside their home state, meanwhile Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton all have good support outside of Victoria.
WC would be the one exception to that. They always seem to have a lot of support in Melbourne

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Oh I wasn't aware footy was on, is he dominating?
He is on the training track from what i've seen, moving super free and probably gained a yard which is hardly surprising considering the leg issue he was carrying.
I feel sorry for North supporters as their medical team failed Jason and North, as well as he played early, never got to witness him unrestricted.
He's going to be scary good once he gets full confidence back.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I genuinely think north tried to support JHF but JHF didn’t want it.

At any rate I’m coming around to blaming noble for this situation. It might have been great if JHF gave it a shot with Clarko and the overhaul of the off field staff but at any rate he’s gone and the bridge is burned.

Cornes framing it as north giving up on him is pretty s**t though.

Back