Prediction Jhye Clark 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I find this really hard to assess. Top 10 for a reason and no doubt to me that he will be a star. What is so hard to assess is how quickly he forces his way in. The coach indicated that his injury robbed him of more AFL games but frankly I take that with a grain of salt.

Cats under Scott I really believe will first default to tried and tested. He rewrites the facts when talking about playing untried youth (mostly only when no other choice)….

If wipe the slate and purely on how they go in pre season then I would not be shocked if Jyhe presses his case. But I suspect it is really hard for him to push past he incumbent midfield given Guthrie is also a “new in”.

He will overtake Bruhn imo
I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility, but that's not what he's for IMO.

Both Bruhn & Clark are huge pieces of our future, not just 2024.

In an ideal world, they're both overtaking Atkins, Guthrie, and even Danger. Same goes for Holmes & Knevitt.

That should be the goal. Obviously we want the youngsters to have friendly competition amongst each other, but their goal should be beating out their senior contemporaries and bringing in the new era.

He will overtake Bruhn imo
That's a lot of pressure to put on him.

Bruhn, who averaged 19 disposals from round 9 onwards in 2023, would naturally be expected to improve again.

I'd love it if Clark comes in and averages 20+ disposals and a few clearances a game though. If he does, our midfield will be regenerating nicely.

Foot injuries worry me more than most footy factors.

Given a best-case scenario I'd expect him to be pushing for regular selection as the year progresses.
I don't envisage Clark coming in Rd1 and performing with any great impact though.

Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

Jury out 4me.
Not holding out any real expectations to avoid disappointment.
If he plays 10 games it will be a bonus.
Guthrie returning.
Mannagh into the fold.
Dempsey looking to impress.
Knevitt bigger & stronger this upcoming year.
Bruhn and Bowes another preseason under their belt.
A healthy Willis will impact.
Not discounting Big George making a splash.
But being a highly touted Pick 7 you'd expect a lot. Fingers crossed.
Interesting times ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find this really hard to assess. Top 10 for a reason and no doubt to me that he will be a star. What is so hard to assess is how quickly he forces his way in. The coach indicated that his injury robbed him of more AFL games but frankly I take that with a grain of salt.

Cats under Scott I really believe will first default to tried and tested. He rewrites the facts when talking about playing untried youth (mostly only when no other choice)….

If wipe the slate and purely on how they go in pre season then I would not be shocked if Jyhe presses his case. But I suspect it is really hard for him to push past he incumbent midfield given Guthrie is also a “new in”.

Something along these lines. Either way, he hasn't played enough at senior level yet to really know.

I'm just hoping they all (the young guys) get opportunities. It's all unknown apart from that.

I'll be hoping Ginbey doesn't put a big gap on Clark this year.

Plenty of time to go in their careers though.

I do worry he is a similar type to Atkins/Bruhn... but hey, if you are that type but much better in the long run then it's all good.

I'd just like to see Jhye get through the season without any further major injuries and see some progression in his development. We put too much expectation/pressure on young players these days to hit the ground running and be stars. But in reality, it can often take 75-100 games at the AFL level for a player to reach their true potential. They always need 2-3 preseasons to develop the fitness and endurance to be able to run 10-15Km's flat out during a game and the strength to be able to withstand the physical pressure opposition players put on them.

I think he is going to be a very slow burn like LDU at North who looked like a spud for 3 years with no standout traits.
Except Jhye played 1 quarter and had a bunch of standout traits when he came on - albeit for limited time.

He was quick out of the contest with a good sidestep (not overly fast, just had a good first few steps to get out of congestion), he was tough - laying 5 tackles in a bit over a quarter -, and he found the ball easily in such a short time.

He'll be a very good player, and he's ready to go if he's over his foot issues. Won't be a slow burn at all.

I'll be hoping Ginbey doesn't put a big gap on Clark this year.

Plenty of time to go in their careers though.

I do worry he is a similar type to Atkins/Bruhn... but hey, if you are that type but much better in the long run then it's all good.
Why do you care what Gibney does? He is irrelevant to Geelong and Clark.

Why do you care what Gibney does? He is irrelevant to Geelong and Clark.
Same reason why St Kilda ended up caring that they took Billings over Bont or Richmond taking Tambling over Buddy or Richmond taking Fiora over Pav.

It would have been a toss-up between Ginbey and Clark... We went with the local kid, and that's fair enough... I'll be hoping Ginbey doesn't end up making that look like a bad call.

Fingers crossed Clark makes it look like an inspired call.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge though, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Ginbey (it's impossible for me not to).

Last edited:
Same reason why St Kilda ended up caring that they took Billings over Bont or Richmond taking Tambling over Buddy or Richmond taking Fiora over Pav.

It would have been a toss-up between Ginbey and Clark... We went with the local kid, and that's fair enough... I'll be hoping Ginbey doesn't end up making that look like a bad call.
What makes u think we... as in Wells&Mack had Ginbey rated that high??
He was a late smokey if i recall.

Fingers crossed Clark makes it look like an inspired call.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge though, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Ginbey (it's impossible for me not to).
Where a player was drafted is a sunk cost as soon as the draft is done. I honestly couldn’t care about where a player was picked and if a player picked after our player turns into a better player, etc. there is nothing to be gained thinking that way. What are you going to do if gibney turns out to be better than Clark? Sulk for the next 20 years? Conversely, if Clark is better will you give a little fist pump every night for the next 20 years safe in the knowledge that we made the “right” pick? What is the point of that?

I just want Clark to be good, and I want to enjoy watching him play footy. I hope Gibney is also a good player and I hope WC fans enjoy watching him play, but I won’t think about him more than any other opposition player.

Not an issue longer term but can’t Clark play any other positions? I’d love to see him get lots of games but it’s hard getting games as an inside mid early in your career. If he can spend some time in those games off half back or half forward it’d help get him more games.
Might be worth playing him in some other spots in the vfl to help that while also helping develop other aspects of his game.
He’s got some great attributes for a young player. Hopefully Bruhn, Holmes and Clark with Conway or Edwards are our midfield of the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back