Prediction Jhye Clark 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably from his VFL performances. The best he looked was in that one QTR of AFL and he looked great, was very disappointing that he was injured for the rest of the year. Im looking forward to see more of him at AFL standard this year.
I take your point about McKenzie being in a bottom 4 side, it's just that Clarks VFL performances weren't much good either.
That's a fair response. I think it's a bit harsh to judge a young fella's performances purely on six VFL games and a quarter of big league, particularly when players of his ilk - hardnosed, high intensity, high impact game, take longer due to adjusting to the size of men they are playing against in comparison to under 18s, school and Carnival footy. Give the lad time, I'm a bit over dismissing the potential of young players so reactively - it's disingenuous and most of the time, plain wrong. Very different types of players - but two of the modern greats, Luke Hodge and Tom Hawkins, were both written off as kids, but really just needed to build tanks and gain confidence. Not saying Jhye is NEXT - but I liked what I saw against Carlton and expect him to play his first full AFL game within the first month of the season.

That's a fair response. I think it's a bit harsh to judge a young fella's performances purely on six VFL games and a quarter of big league, particularly when players of his ilk - hardnosed, high intensity, high impact game, take longer due to adjusting to the size of men they are playing against in comparison to under 18s, school and Carnival footy. Give the lad time, I'm a bit over dismissing the potential of young players so reactively - it's disingenuous and most of the time, plain wrong. Very different types of players - but two of the modern greats, Luke Hodge and Tom Hawkins, were both written off as kids, but really just needed to build tanks and gain confidence. Not saying Jhye is NEXT - but I liked what I saw against Carlton and expect him to play his first full AFL game within the first month of the season.
Please don't get me wrong. I haven't made a judgement on him yet. I liked his performance in his first game and thought he was good in the practice match. Still too early to judge Clark. I was just answering in regards to where comparisons had come from. There is no part of me writing off Clark. I would say at this stage I think he will make it as at least a solid AFL player but way too early to judge.

Staying uninjured, 10 AFL games with a few 20+ possessions would be great progress.
From what he's shown in the preseason I'd be extremely disappointed if he only played 10 games. He's good enough that I think you just have to play him. There's every chance with 20 games under his belt he's easily best 22.

Was terrific in the second half. Appeared that he realised that he belonged at the level. Reminds me a bit of Lachie Neale in both stature and style of player.

From what he's shown in the preseason I'd be extremely disappointed if he only played 10 games. He's good enough that I think you just have to play him. There's every chance with 20 games under his belt he's easily best 22.
This is effectively his first year of senior football. Goal number one is playing every week at any level.

People need to moderate their expectations or prepare for disappointment.

If he stays injury free I think he is a chance to play every game. The oppurtunity is there.

Was terrific in the second half. Appeared that he realised that he belonged at the level. Reminds me a bit of Lachie Neale in both stature and style of player.
It’s not a bad comparison but if I was to chose one player who he’s almost identically like

Caleb Serong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back