Jimmy bartel, could he/should he coach??

Remove this Banner Ad

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think his style would translate well with the millennials, has a great understanding of the game, seems very level headed and I reckon if he gave you a spray you would know you deserved it.

So has he ruled it out? Have clubs been interested?

I'm sure something popped up earlier in the year about Brisbane being keen.

Yup agreed he definetly should. I guess it’s how much he gets paid for his various media jobs and whether that’s worth a massive increase in stress and work. But he would be a great coach.

Think he would be great at a young developing side as a midfield coach. Brisbane? Not sure who they already have forgive my ignorance.

Bartel on special comments today showed exactly what is wrong with channel 7 commentary.

He provided insights as to why things were happening in the game instead of trying to crack jokes, one up on meaningless stats, stupid phrases or yelling into the microphone.

Sevens most astute acquisition in the last 20 years will hopefully cost the likes of Carey, Ling and Watson their cushy jobs.

I agree to a certain extent, but I think it is fine if they aren’t head coach. Scarlett and Enright for instance look like they are doing amazing work.
Agreed, but blow torches are always applied to head coaches. Doesn't matter how much success you have either, it always ends the same.

He's been 2x AA, 3x Premiership player, Brownlow medallist and a Norm Smith medallist.

Extremely intelligent, courageous and personable.

Would almost be the perfect HC prospect IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel on special comments today showed exactly what is wrong with channel 7 commentary.

He provided insights as to why things were happening in the game instead of trying to crack jokes, one up on meaningless stats, stupid phrases or yelling into the microphone.

Sevens most astute acquisition in the last 20 years.

Agree with your comments Rich01..... Jimmy Bartel's commentary today was a 'revelation' and in all my time of listening to over the top and meaningless commentary over so many years, Jimmy's insight into how the game was being played or should be played including stoppage play along with the ruckman's palm work and with what hand, made his fellow commentators insignificant, if Jimmy is a not a potential future coach of sorts then it will be a disservice to our great game.

Last edited:
Definitely commentated well today, showed he knows what he's talking about. Could bode well for coaching.
I just wonder does he have the toughness that a head coach needs? He seems so lovely and friendly.

Agree with your comments Rich01..... Jimmy Bartel's commentary today was a 'revelation' and in all my time of listening to over the top and meaningless commentary over so many years, Jimmy's insight into how the game was being played or should be played including stoppage play along with the ruckman's palm work and with what hand, made his fellow commentators insignificant, if Jimmy is a not a potential future coach of sorts then it will be a disservice to our great game.
When Kerry Packer employed Shane Warne to the commentary box, he told him to provide the insight into why something is happening on the field, not describe what is happening - the audience has eyes and they can see that for themselves.

The ‘why’ is the art of the special comments person. The NFL do it extremely well dissecting every play. Sadly the AFL special comments usually revolves around a team that’s behind needing the next goal, or how many inside fifties each side has had for the quarter.

He was on radio last year saying he really enjoys the list management side of things, and didn't have coaching intentions at that stage, so maybe he'll go down that path.

He is currently a talent scout for Brisbane.
They might want to give him a more prominent position if he's interested or some other club may come in and scoop him up. Seems everyone in the general public is pretty impressed by him.

Sevens most astute acquisition in the last 20 years will hopefully cost the likes of Carey, Ling and Watson their cushy jobs.
The genuine shock and awe from other commentators when his insights proved true was telling.

Was a moment in the 4th when he exactly predicted what North would have to do in order to kick a goal. Was quality.

Listen to him on 3aw so insightful and really informative.Guy knows his footy is he doing U18 stuff ?.As people said no jokes just expert comments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back