Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Both outstanding careers and managed
3 premierships
Brownlow Medal
Norm Smith

Who would you take?

This is by the smallest margin but I think I would choose Black because he was just so clean and smart with the football a rolls Royce player.

Bartel a little more versatile with his goal kicking ability and both had an amazing defensive side with huge numbers in the tackling statistics.

Who would you choose?

Both guns. Different types of players but nevertheless, excellent players for their clubs. Personally I would take Black but I don't think there is a right or wrong here.

Here's one for you though...Simon Black vs Lenny Hayes. Similar types of players. Similar career highlights / awards.

Dead heat, you really can’t go wrong either way. This isn’t one of those false talkback radio comparisons like Robbie Gray vs Shane Edwards, where you have to pretend it’s a close call.

Black, Bartel was a gun but Black was another level. Totally different players.
Bartel might be the best overhead mark I have seen for a small midfielder, like a harder Heeney.
He was probably the smoothest bloke in traffic I have ever seen, would always hit the right target by hand in congestion.

Depends. The way Bartel sacrificed his game in the 09 GF to nullify Lenny Hayes was selfless and showed a new side to his game. Black was a silkier mid than Jimmy, but I reckon Jimmy had more tricks in his bag, as we saw in the 2011 GF

Bartel could probably play more roles than Black - actually Black could probably play them too but he was only ever really used in one - and Bartel probably lifted himself as a general rule in big games to the point where he was as good as Black, but generally Black was probably the better player and was a rolls Royce in that famous midfield.

Brilliant player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartel could probably play more roles than Black - actually Black could probably play them too but he was only ever really used in one - and Bartel probably lifted himself as a general rule in big games to the point where he was as good as Black, but generally Black was probably the better player and was a rolls Royce in that famous midfield.

Brilliant player
You think black could play a marking role in the foward line, tag or go down to defence to be third man up?

have we all forgotton who black was? He was as one dimensional as tony lockett.

You think black could play a marking role in the foward line, tag or go down to defence to be third man up?

have we all forgotton who black was? He was as one dimensional as tony lockett.

Sigh.

Black was a gifted footballer and a great athlete and in that sense I think that yes if he was ever asked to take up another role he probably could have worked it out. Bartel probably couldn’t play those roles at some stage either. Until he could. Because he learned and showed that he could do it capably.

Simon Black a Lamborghini vs Bartels Knight Rider Trans AM (when he activated turbo boost, he flew higher than Cody Weightman!).

Simon black. His accolades are better and although I didn’t see him live I’ve heard many people say he was the best or second best player of that lions team behind Voss. I’ll take their word for it. I don’t think Bartel is at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back