Jimmy Bartel wants to play again.

Remove this Banner Ad

he could've gone on 2017, but not after a year out. More likely to be playing for Bell Park I'd say.

he could've gone on 2017, but not after a year out. More likely to be playing for Bell Park I'd say.
Maybe the year off footy allowed his body to fully recuperate from the all the niggles players pick up from successive years of footy and could come back better than ever if a club gave him a chance.

Apologies if somebody has already started a thread on this, but I was a bit surprised to read this today.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/37401499/geelong-champion-jimmy-bartel-makes-shock-comeback-call/

Does anybody really think anybody would pick him up in a Sam Mitchell/Luke Hodge type arrangement? I'm not sure he is quite of their ilk in terms of being a vocal onfield leader. Although he obviously has that leadership aspect with how he did the family violence campaign last year.

I doubt he'll be picked up, but it was interesting to see him raise the possibility. Maybe the transition to post-footy life has been harder than he thought it would be?

Bartel is a real hall of famer. Would be considered far more blue chip than either of those two.

More blue chip than 2 quadruple premiership players - both of whom captained them in those years? That's hard to justify, isn't it?

Anyone who actually watched the matches or remembers the matches during both periods would've seen Hawthorn were a significantly weaker side compared the Geelong/Brisbane sides. And Hodge/Mitchell weren't a pimple on Bartels arse. Yes more premierships. But more blue chip no.

Anyone who actually watched the matches or remembers the matches during both periods would've seen Hawthorn were a significantly weaker side compared the Geelong/Brisbane sides. And Hodge/Mitchell weren't a pimple on Bartels arse. Yes more premierships. But more blue chip no.
They rolled your mob of blue chips in '08 & '14 though. I hate Hawthorn with a passion and have always followed Geelong like a second side, but to minimise Hodge and Mitchell as not even pimples on Bartel's arse in ridiculous - I'm not sure if you're incapable to recognising his peers, whether you have an unnatural appreciation of Jimmy, or whether your real name is Nadia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They rolled your mob of blue chips in '08 & '14 though. I hate Hawthorn with a passion and have always followed Geelong like a second side, but to minimise Hodge and Mitchell as not even pimples on Bartel's arse in ridiculous - I'm not sure if you're incapable to recognising his peers, whether you have an unnatural appreciation of Jimmy, or whether your real name is Nadia.

I believe Jimmy to be miles above them both. Many people won't agree because Jimmy's last two years were poor but they forget how good he was prior. Funny thing is Hodge/Mitchell have played worse than Bartel in their final seasons yet receive praise for pointing across the field. I honestly think people noted it with Jimmy because the drop was more noticeable. It's like falling from a 40 story building compared to a 10 story one. The bigger fall the more you notice it.

I believe Jimmy to be miles above them both. Many people won't agree because Jimmy's last two years were poor but they forget how good he was prior. Funny thing is Hodge/Mitchell have played worse than Bartel in their final seasons yet receive praise for pointing across the field.
Yeah Jimmy was awesome at his peak, no doubt. Just think you're underselling what Hodge/Mitchell did. And I can't stand Hodge.

At age 28 during the peak age of their footy careers every neutral on big footy would of ranked bartel head and shoulders above mitchell and hodge as footballers.

I have always viewed Mitchell as being a level above Bartel and Hodge.

I call bull. Go back to 2008 and no one in their right mind was ranking mitchell at that level. He was just another dime a dozen midfielder back then.

Mitchell was massively underrated early in the piece. Bartel has been largely overrated since he won a Brownlow (that he didn't even nearly deserve). Take away the Brownlow and the media fascination with Bartel and he isn't - or never was - a better footballer than Sam Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back