Senior Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy
acc749737ee16cfae1240b9e2faf70cd.jpg

737b8447cf4a845dcbfc25669e58ff8b.jpg

Played well against the Eagles without starring .

Has been very consistent all season even when he hasn't starred. Has established his spot in the side which is what he would have been aiming for at the start of the season . He will get better as the years go on from here .

Last edited:
After the best season of his burgeoning career, St Kilda defender Jimmy Webster has put the blocks in place to take another step in 2018.

The 24-year-old emerged as a long-term replacement for Leigh Montagna last season, finishing 7th in the Trevor Barker Award after averaging 18.8 disposals, 3.6 rebound 50s and 314.2 metres gained across 18 games.

“I’ve trained pretty much every session so far, just missing one or two when my workload has been managed,” Webster told saints.com.au on Tuesday afternoon.

“I’m feeling really good at this time of year, which is great because I’ve missed parts of the last two pre-seasons.”

While Webster wasn’t troubled in 2017 by the hamstring problems that have haunted him in the past, the Tasmanian has focused on improving his lower body strength this summer.

“I’ve spent a lot of time in the gym this summer focusing on putting on a bit more size, strengthening my hammies because I’ve had a little bit of trouble with them in the past,” he said.

“I’ve been doing my weights alongside ‘Sav’ [Shane Savage] because he’s had his own hamstring troubles in the past too.

“We’ve been focusing on the muscles around the hammies, so the glutes and the quads to make them all a bit stronger.”

With Montagna in the early stages of retirement, Webster said himself and Shane Savage are looking to fill the void left by the dual All-Australian, both in terms of leadership and rebound.

“It’s something ‘Sav’ and I are both working on this year,” he said.

“Now that ‘Joey’ is gone, we both want to take that next step and fill that role that he played and his leadership down there.”

St Kilda returned from the Christmas break last Saturday morning, with captain Jarryn Geary leading the field home in the opening 3km time-trial of the new year.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Webster also produced a career-best season last year, finishing two places behind Billings in the best and fairest, following a winter where he entrenched himself inside Alan Richardson’s back six.

The Tasmanian didn’t take his foot off the peddle during his off-season. He sold his house before moving into a new place in Cheltenham, moving closer to the Saints’ new headquarters in Moorabbin.

“It was a pretty full on off-season,” Webster said.

“I sold a house and then moved into another house in Cheltenham. We’re all moved in now and it’s all going really well.

“I bought three chooks when we moved in, but I’m still waiting for them to lay me an egg – hopefully that’s not too far away."

Webster, who inked a two-year extension midway through last winter, returned home during the Christmas break where he rolled his sleeves up and got to work on a farm, putting fences up and marking lambs.

“I went back home to Tassie during the Christmas break, saw family and friends and did some work on one of my mates farms which was a little bit different,” he said.

“I love going back home, I always return feeling refreshed.

“It’s good to getaway down the bush and not have anything to worry about. You don’t think about footy at all, you’re just in the middle of nowhere.”

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Jimmy Webster

Stats vs Carlton 23/2/18

Disposals : 15
Kicks : 11
Handballs : 4
Contested possessions : 2
Intercept possessions : 3
Turnovers : 4
Disposal efficiency: 87%

Tackles : 3
Score involvements : 3
Uncontested marks : 1
Stoppage clearance : 1
Inside 50 : 2
Rebound 50 : 3
One percenters : 3

Free for : 1
Free against : 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1 Stats v Brisbane

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 4
Disposals: 18
Contested Possessions: 3
Uncontested Possessions: 16
Disposal Efficiency: 66.7
Marks: 8
Rebound 50: 5
Free for: 1
Free against: 1
Tackles: 2
1%'ers: 7
Inside 50's: 2
Score Involvements: 5
AFL Fantasy: 84
Supercoach: 81

Thoughts:
Jimmy played a solid game, had his hands full with the speed of Charlie Cameron but equipped himself well even though Cameron did kick 3 (2 out the back). Disposal efficiency certainly surprised me to be as low as it was, as I don't recall any moments where he had a silly turnover that cost us dearly. Couple of moments to stand out one running through the centre square and hitting up Billings(?) at the top of the 50 which resulted in a goal and a clever spoil in a one-on-one against Cameron when Brisbane were out in the clear.

Even got a mention from the Richo and featured in the Round 1 talking points on the saints website:

Jimmy’s made of the right stuff

Richardson has spoke at length during the summer of the need for his core group of youngsters to step up this season.
Yesterday, Jimmy Webster did exactly that.
His rebound from defensive 50 set the Saints up, but it was his defensive work that earned the plaudits of his coach.
Playing on the Lions’ dangerous small forwards, Webster stood tall, receiving a massive roar from the crowd when he sent a spoil 30 metres to the boundary when the Lions were pressing in the final term.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-03-25/talking-points-round-1

Round 2 Stats v North Melbourne

Kicks: 18
Handballs: 12
Disposals: 30
Contested Possessions: 8
Uncontested Possessions: 21
Disposal Efficiency: 70.0
Marks: 5
Rebound 50: 8
Free for: 1
Free against: 1
Tackles: 1
1%'ers: 3
Inside 50's: 1
Score Involvements: 6
AFL Fantasy: 95
Supercoach: 106

Thoughts:
Statistically speaking this was Jimmy's best game, first time achieving 30 disposals. This is probably in part as the ball spent a large portion of the game down in our defensive area 66 inside 50's to North. Though he was also part of the problem with 7 clangers for the game resulting in the ball coming straight back and creating pressure on our defence. Clearly has a licence to create attacks from our defence (always up there in score involvements) and sometimes the kicks don't come off. However like most of the team he does need to lower his eyes at times instead of blazing away as the ball comes flying back 10 times quicker. I know we like to be as direct and as quick as possible however, the short option is sometimes the best option to draw the defence up and create holes in the opposition zone. One thing I would like to see from Jimmy is an increase in his tackle numbers (2 in round 1 & 1 in round 2). One tackle when the ball was in his area for much of the game needs to improve. Overall though, was one of our best in a poor display, solid game which had its moments B to B-.

Jimmy Webster trained strongly on Tuesday as he looks to overcome a hip injury that sidelined him for the past two weeks.

The 24-year-old Tasmanian was one of the standouts in the first three rounds, providing plenty of run-and-carry off half-back as well as elite ball distribution by foot.

In a back six that has evolved markedly in the last few years, Webster adds class and composure and would be a welcome calming influence down back for the Saints.

Go Saints

Thanks for the updates Brains Trust66 on Jimmy's injury, been a bit side tracked recently.

Round 6 Stats v Hawthorn

Kicks: 15
Handballs: 10
Disposals: 25
Contested Possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 21
Disposal Efficiency: 92.0
Intercept Possessions: 5
Marks: 9
Rebound 50: 7
Free for: 0
Free against: 0
Tackles: 2
1%'ers: 3
Inside 50's: 0
Score Involvements: 5
AFL Fantasy: 100
Supercoach: 112

Comments:
Glad to have Jimmy back in the side, considering how poorly the team went Jimmy still went at 92%. Just wish these possessions he had were further up the field so our forwards could have more of an opportunity. Would love to see a move to the wing like some have suggested to utilise his strengths but I doubt this will happen as the coaching team are pretty set in their ways. Keep up the good work Jimmy.

Round 7 Stats v Melbourne

Kicks: 14
Handballs: 10
Disposals: 24
Contested Possessions: 3
Uncontested Possessions: 20
Disposal Efficiency: 83.0
Intercept Possessions: 7
Marks: 7
Rebound 50: 6
Free for: 0
Free against: 0
Tackles: 3
1%'ers: 4
Inside 50's: 4
Score Involvements: 3
AFL Fantasy: 95
Supercoach: 105

Comments:
Great game again by Jimmy, held Melksham goalless and to 11 disposals whilst have 24 himself and generally using the ball well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back