AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
JIMMY WEBSTER
Height: 188cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: Midfielder
Dashing wingman who delivers the ball well inside 50. Played senior footy in Tassie this year.

WEBSTER%20Jimmy.png

Last edited by a moderator:
26_WEBSTER-Jimmy-2011B.jpg

KEVIN SHEEHAN SAYS

"AIS-AFL Academy member and Tasmania U18 champs rep. Nice kicking technique, hits targets. Runs and carries the ball and has very clean hands. From Brighton JFC"

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/11/24/279221_afl.html

Midfielder Jimmy Webster is another Tasmanian who has impressed talent scouts, and the youngster was quick to point out the most daunting tests at the draft combine.

"I was probably more intimidated by having the interviews with the clubs, just because they had the head coaches and you were sitting out in front of seven or eight different recruiters.

"That was more nervous than going out and kicking the footy or doing the sprints and beep test."

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/11/26/279711_afl.html

"Injuries have been pretty big this year," he said.

"Shin splints kept me out for eight weeks, then had my appendix out as well so that was another three weeks.

"So it has been a frustrating year but I did well over in the draft camp and was injury free so that's what got me across the line."

Combine testing:

Standing Vertical Jump (cm)
Rank, Name, Height (cm)
1 Elliot Yeo 78
2 Shannon Taylor 76
3 Rory Taggert 75
4 Jimmy Webster 74
5 Dylan Orval 73
6 Chad Wingard 72
=7 Cory Gault 71
=7 Devon Smith 71
=9 Jack Crisp 70
=9 Brandon Ellis 70
=9 Ahmed Saad 70
=9 Alex Woodward 70

Running Vertical Jump Result (cms)
Rank, Name, Height (cm)
1 Chad Wingard 92
2 Hayden Crozier 91
3 Todd Elton 89
=4 Liam Sumner 88
=4 Shannon Taylor 88
6 Jordan Lockyer 86
=7 Michael Bussey 85
=7 Brody Grundy 85
=7 Zyrus Manson 85
=7 Elliot Yeo 85

20 Meter Sprint Result (seconds)
Rank, Name, Result (seconds)
=1 Shannon Taylor 2.86
=1 Ahmed Saad 2.86
=3 Lachlan Dalgleish 2.87
=3 Shane Nelson 2.87
5 Bradley Hill 2.88
=6 Hayden Crozier 2.89
=6 Jordan Lockyer 2.89
=6 Daniel Markworth 2.89
=6 Tim Mohr 2.89
=6 Alex Woodward 2.89

Agility run (seconds)
Rank, Name, Time (seconds)
1 Elliot Yeo 7.80
2 Ahmed Saad 7.86
3 Shannon Taylor 7.99
4 Lachlan Dalgleish 8.02
5 Ben Kennedy 8.04
6 Hayden Crozier 8.08
=7 Jed Bews 8.11
=7 Brad McKenzie 8.12
9 Chad Wingard 8.13
10 Shane Nelson 8.13

Repeat sprints (seconds)
Rank, Name, Total Time (seconds)
1 Ahmed Saad 23.64
2 Lachlan Delgleish 23.79
3 Devon Smith 23.82
4 Matthew Haynes 23.87
5 Shannon Taylor 24.23
6 Daniel Markworth 24.31
7 Jed Bews 24.34
8 Liam Sumner 24.35
9 Luke Brown 24.38
10 Brad Hill 24.49

Beep test/shuttle run
Rank, Name, Level. Shuttle
1 Brad Hill 16.01
2 Will Hoskin-Elliott 15.12
3 Tom Sheridan 15.07
4 Sam Kerridge 15.05
5 Brandon Ellis 15.04
6 Clay Smith 15.03
=7 Cam Eardley 15.02
=7 Toby Greene 15.02
=7 Nick O'Brien 15.2
=10 Devon Smith 15.01
=10 Taylor Adams 15.01
=10 Jackson Johnstone 15.01
=10 Adam Tomlinson 15.01

3km time trial result (mins:secs)
Rank, Name, Time (mins:secs)
1 Brad Hill 9:52
2 Will Hoskin-Elliott 9:53
3 Tom Sheridan 9:57
=4 Nick O'Brien 10:01
=4 Sam Kerridge 10:01
6 Jack Newnes 10:25
=7 Brandon Ellis 10:32
=7 Adam Tomlinson 10:32
9 Steve Rusca 10:44
10 Jimmy Webster 10:46

Kicking Test (Efficiency %)
Rank, Name, Score (0/30)
Efficiency rate (%)
1 Shane Nelson 29 97
=2 Alex Brown 26 87
=2 Jordan Lockyer 26 87%
=2 Dayle Garlett 26 87%
=2 Jimmy Webster 26 87%
=2 Elliott Yeo 26 87%
=2 Jordan King-Wilson 26 87%
=2 Peter Yagmoor 26 87%
=9 Lachlan Smith 25 83%
=9 Adam Tomlinson 25 83%
=9 Tom Sheridan 25 83%
=9 Jack Crisp 25 83%
=9 Louis Egger 25 83%
=9 Brandon Ellis 25 83%

Found this when I was having a look through Snoopy's 2011 mock draft:
# 59– Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy / 187 / 72 / 93)

Love watching Jimmy play and think he might go a bit higher than this. Ex AIS kid who is a one touch hands and then becomes one of those 70m types who then just finishes it off really well. They are good attributes to have and whilst I think he is probably a couple of years away and will start off HB he will work his way into the midfield group with a bit extra weight. The knock is he probably just needs to influence games more and for the Div 2 kids this is where the champs are important and unfortunately he didn’t have a great one. But look he is an exceptional athlete and a beautiful kick who has shown he could be an A grader.
AFL Comparison – Clint Young sort of player

Jimmy Webster #29

To me, JWebb was an odd selection at pick 42 given his injury troubles at U/18 level and the plethora of half backs accumulated during Lyon’s tenure at St Kilda.

He played the first 3 games in the VFL reserves, and was named the Zeb’s best player in the round 3 match.

However, this was followed by a long absence due to shin soreness, and it was over two months before he played another game.

His first game back was marred by a 1-week suspension for striking and $400 fine for wrestling.

But in the next game he was named in the best, and got a call-up to the VFL seniors - where he was again in the best with 17 possessions and 4 tackles. He moved well as a half back, including quite clean hands in congested situations, but seemed reluctant to kick the ball.

His form wasn’t quite as sharp in the next two games and he played the rest of the season out in the reserves.

The delistings of Andreoli, Polo, Peake, Gram, Clarke and Winmar appear to provide some opportunities to secure a more regular position in the senior VFL team - but he needs a really good pre-season and a clean run with injury to set himself up.

Hopefully we can see whether his nice height (188cm), athleticism (4th in standing jump at draft camp and 10th in the time trial), and kicking skill (equal second in efficiency at draft camp) can translate to on-field performances.

5bd6af923d6511e29d6522000a9f134c_7.jpg

Jimmy Webster #29

To me, JWebb was an odd selection at pick 42 given his injury troubles at U/18 level and the plethora of half backs accumulated during Lyon’s tenure at St Kilda.

He played the first 3 games in the VFL reserves, and was named the Zeb’s best player in the round 3 match.

However, this was followed by a long absence due to shin soreness, and it was over two months before he played another game.

His first game back was marred by a 1-week suspension for striking and $400 fine for wrestling.

But in the next game he was named in the best, and got a call-up to the VFL seniors - where he was again in the best with 17 possessions and 4 tackles. He moved well as a half back, including quite clean hands in congested situations, but seemed reluctant to kick the ball.

His form wasn’t quite as sharp in the next two games and he played the rest of the season out in the reserves.

The delistings of Andreoli, Polo, Peake, Gram, Clarke and Winmar appear to provide some opportunities to secure a more regular position in the senior VFL team - but he needs a really good pre-season and a clean run with injury to set himself up.

Hopefully we can see whether his nice height (188cm), athleticism (4th in standing jump at draft camp and 10th in the time trial), and kicking skill (equal second in efficiency at draft camp) can translate to on-field performances.

5bd6af923d6511e29d6522000a9f134c_7.jpg

That's Jimmy these days :eek: He has put on a lot of muscle! Hopefully should get some games in 2013.

He'll need to play Sandringham Seniors before he gets a game..

Yeah, hopefully it is just a matter of him getting his body right. He looks extremely fit. You're right about his bro too, definitely in the top three Tasmanian prospects for 2013 as of this moment. Eli Templeton, Kade Kolodjashnij, and Zac Webster are the big three.

Photos can be deceiving at times, but he definitely looks a lot bigger than he did last year so it does show he's putting in the effort. Compare that to Crocker who I think lost weight during his time here. :p

He knows it could be his last year as an AFL player so barring injury I expect him to have a big season.

It'll be a good sign if we get to have a look at him in the NAB Cup. Maybe we could play an under 25's team against Port?

This is what the club have to say about him in his bio on the club website:

"Jimmy came from a long way behind. Two years prior to being drafted he hadn’t played a lot of footy because his body hadn’t fully developed. This year he had some issues with his shins so it was all about managing his workload. He managed to play 11 games of footy, which was more than he had played in his previous two seasons."

So basically he's played bugger-all footy in the past 3 years, but has a lot of ability and great athletic attributes (4th at the combine in the standing vertical jump, 10th in the 3km time trial and equal 2nd in the kicking test), so the club are obviously hoping that it and he get his body in order so that he gets out on the park and shows what he's got.

Here is the rest of what the club have to say about him in the bio:

Jimmy Webster was drafted from Glenorchy (TAS) as pick #42 overall in the 2011 AFL National Draft.

A running defender/wingman from country Mangalore in Tasmania, Jimmy has a good speed, knows how to hit targets by foot and has clean hands.

In 2010, Jimmy’s strong Club performances gained him entrance to the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) AFL scholarship, where he toured Europe with the AIS squad.

Last year was a frustrating season when injury restricted him to just 7 games. However, Jimmy impressed at the 2011 AFL Draft Combine and has worked hard during his first season at St Kilda, showing much promise for the future.

Crazy start to the year for Jimmy, shown pure class in the VFL and put his hand up for selection to debut just the week after his family house burnt down in Tassie.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-05-10/saints-rally-around-young-teammate

Webster was named to debut in the Round 7 match against Carlton

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-05-11/webster-to-debut-gwilt-named

He started as sub and was brought on after Nathan Wright was subbed out due to a jaw injury. He amassed 9 touches in the quarter and put on a couple of nice tackles. And looked far from out of his depth at this level.

130511-webster_620X370.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/rookie-debut-a-family-triumph-20130608-2nx1m.html?skin=text-only

The Webster brothers don't have too much in common. Zac likes to get to the ball before anybody else, to spend as much time as he can on the ground, to crash and charge ... ''I'm told I'm a bit harder at it than Jim …'' said the teenager, smiling. ''But he's a bit more flash than me ... my skills aren't quite as good as his, if that's how you want to put it.''

Jimmy isn't afraid to go after the ball either. He gained six kilograms last year and has worked even harder in the gym this season.

Jimmy had no idea what to expect when he became a St Kilda player at the end of 2011. He was skinny, he was away from home, he had never trained so hard, and by the middle of last season his body wasn't coping.

''I knew nothing when I got here. Every day something new came up and I was getting used to things all the time. But when you get drafted you think 'I'm going to an AFL club; I'm going to play AFL footy.' You don't think about playing in the VFL or playing in the VFL reserves.''

Watters picked up on his mood. ''I talked to Scotty about it, and he said that he wasn't fazed whether I was in the VFL seniors or the reserves. He said he was just happy for me to be playing footy as well as I could and that he wanted me to concentrate on getting my injuries right and putting on weight. He came to me and helped me understand, and it really helped me stop worrying."

Jimmy trained carefully this past pre-season, too. But he was a bit fitter, and a little stronger. He could do more and he felt better, more like a St Kilda player now that he was able to train for longer with the other players.

I forgot to mention it when it happened but I reckon the week where his family's house burnt down where the club got behind them hugely and supported him and his family will be a moment we look back in a few years and note as the turning/starting point for this lads career.

Stepped up hugely in 2013, goes through a tough time but the club is amazing to him. Ends up debuting that week with his family coming over and staying in the side since.

Keep it up JWebb!

#29 Jimmy Webster

The review last year suggested he needed a good pre-season. But almost immediately he surprised with significant physical development being evident when the Saints embarked on the trip to Colorado.

Whilst this is the sort of thing which gets you noticed around the club, time would tell whether it would translate to the durability he’d need to start displaying.

He started well in the VFL, with his performances including a 20 possession game in R2 and 22 in R4 – a game which featured a highlight reel goal by Spencer White, but commenced with an equally impressive kick-in by Webster (a couple of very sharp baulks despite being in the opposition goalsquare, followed by a piercing 60m kick to the advantage of White on the wing).

This was enough for Watters, who made JWebb an emergency for the round 6 game against the filth (which was timed with the unfortunate events for his family in the Tassie bushfires). Watters “Jimmy is a great competitor ... and an exciting prospect for the club.”

The club showed alot of faith and selected him for the round 7 game against Carlton. After Wright was taken out by Betts, Webster was able to discard the green vest and had 9 possessions and 3 tackles (in 34% TOG).

Watters "He came on, right into the heat of battle and showed some real composure ... almost too much composure at times but that's the way he plays. One of the things we're really proud of as a club is the quality and the character of some of the kids that are coming through. They're just very resilient tough kids that our supporters are going to love watching for a number of years. Jimmy fits right into that bracket. What they had to get him through last year to get him to the point where he's now selected for his first game, our medical staff have been outstanding.”

Webster was given an extended run at AFL level, playing 7 consecutive games - although he continued to be closely managed (playing 3 games as the sub).

After the significant loss against Richmond in round 14, Webster had a week off (travelling with the team to Perth despite not being an emergency). He returned to the VFL and immediately showed form with 20 possessions, 6 marks, 3 tackles and a goal – and came back into the AFL team for the next 4 games (R17-20).

His form was only fair, although he did have 15 possessions, 5 marks and 7 one%ers against Brisbane in R19. Webster “I was pretty happy with my performance. It was a big focus from last week to join in and no trailing so that's what I focussed on today and it was probably my best game yet - I'm loving it. It's been great how Seany Dempster and Jarryn Geary have really taken me under their wing ... these two guys have been a great help to me."

He was made an emergency against Sydney in R21 (again having a week off) and had a strong game in the VFL (21 possessions, 7 tackles and a goal) before again being emergency for the final round.

Watters made a mention that Webster had been pushed through quicker than his form might have suggested, but the decision (as part of a strategy to quickly develop a host of young 50-game players) would appear to have been vindicated with Webster showing some good glimpses despite the lift in intensity.

11 AFL games (along with 6 in the VFL) was an excellent return given Webster had only played 3 games in the VFL seniors in 2012. His efforts to overcome shin problems is commendable, but the club has made smart decisions with resting Webster at times and using him as a sub. The 2013 season should give the 20yo alot of confidence leading into pre-season.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Webster:

Ranked elite for spoils per game but poor for intercept marks.

Recorded a below average kick rating (-2.8%) for a defender.

A lot of defenders kick backwards and sideways as well which gives them a nice DE%. You really have to go by the eye test, there's no doubt Webster is one of our best kicks.

This is true, no doubt the dour defenders that only kick sideways and backwards will have extremely high DE% (I think Zac and Blake were two of our better kicks statistically in 2009-10?) therefore making the attacking defenders who break the line and take more risks seem to have much worse DE%.

He sure is. Watching some of the replays of our games recently though he did seem to get a fair few kicks in heavy traffic and just looked to pump them forward quickly, so I'm guessing not many if any hit a target, lowering his KE.

I thought if you kicked it long enough to a contest it was considered an effective kick - think that was how Billings managed to get 100% off his 25 touches despite a couple clearly not hitting the target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back