Senior Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

They may be, but some of them weren't necessarily long kicks (one I remember was just a snap across the body to get it out of there and another one was pretty much a grubber!) and the longer ones may not have gone to a contest. When he is in space his field kicking is generally extremely efficient.

I just keep on hitting the rewind on the Foxtel IQ when Jimmy has done something when watching the replays of our games, as he just does so many things so well, whether it be the way he gets through traffic with those super-quick sidesteps, the bullet handballs, the excellent spoils (especially if he's thrown his body recklessly at the contest) the kicks that are perfectly weighted, and so-on. He's really got a lot going for him.

Still can't get over how Jimmy tackled Watson without the ball in that amazing game to stop a goal, and wasn't penalised a free kick. Definitely a highlight of the season.

Mainly due to them both engaging each other at the same time I feel, he has some really good footy smarts our Jimmy does. I feel the real highlight (from the same game) was him doing Jetta for pace.

He does the little things so well and has a bit of mongrel about him too.

Won't be long till he is running off the opposite wing to Acres and causing headaches for every team in the competition

CFb4V3_VEAAaKKw.jpg:large

So, I think this thread is in need of an update.

Jimmy probably played his best game for the club yesterday, and Richo was rapt with him in the press conference afterwards. Not only did he have 27 possessions and use the ball well (bar that kick out), he played on Rioli for most of the game and kept him to just 13 touches and a goal. This was particularly impressive as he has struggled in this area before.

He really has all the tools IMO to make it as a very good small or medium-sized defender. Here's hoping the form continues for the rest of the year.

JWebb on RSN:

Haven't heard a lot from him so good to hear him talk a bit. Still umming and ahhing a little :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JWebb on RSN:

Haven't heard a lot from him so good to hear him talk a bit. Still umming and ahhing a lot :p
FTFY.

Great to see Jimmy ranked 2nd for "general defenders" for his kicking, which has been fantastic this year I reckon. I just feel so comfortable and confident when he has the ball in hand and he also has great vision and also the courage to take on risky kicks.

Inquirer-Round-22_FA.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/the-inquirer-just-for-kicks

I'll start off by doing a quick recap of his 2015 season.

Started off the year with a finger injury then came back in round 5 after a couple of VFL games.

His best game would've been against the Hawks where he had 27 disposals and kept Rioli to 1.2 which is a pretty decent effort in a smashing.

While there's little doubt Jimmy improved and without looking at the stats I'm sure he had more 20+ disposal games, his average for the year was basically the same as 2014. The early talk is he'll be pushing up the ground in 2016 and to stay there he's going to have to find the pill more consistently. If he can be that damaging 20ppg outside mid that hurts the opposition with almost every disposal (which he's obviously very capable of) that's a huge win as it will compliment what we've got on the inside.

Richo was asked about Webster today on Facebook:

Hi Alan, will we see Jimmy Webster released from his defensive role a bit more this year and given a license to not only run off half back but to play up on the wing and use that deadly left foot of his?
Jimmy's ability to defend and provide quality ball use from defence is very important to the team, but eventually we think he has the potential to play through the midfield.

Maybe won't be moving up the ground full time just yet? Probably because of his ability to defend which a lot of people don't seem to think he can do.

14 touches for Jimmy in the first NAB challenge game. Couple of howler kicks but we'll put that down to dusting off the cobwebs. 11 kicks and 3 handballs is probably about the ratio we want to see from him.

Had the job on Lindsay Thomas who kicked three but was unlucky with one after Thomas benefitted from a deliberate out of bounds call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back