Senior Jimmy Webster

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Welcome to the 2017 Player Board of Jimmy Webster.

I will try my best to get as much news, reviews and information for 2017 as i can.

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
2016 Player Review - saints.com.au - Josh Gabelich - 6/10/16

St Kilda rebounding defender Jimmy Webster experienced a frustrating season in 2016, with injuries marring the second half of the year after the Tasmanian made a bright start to the season.

The 23-year-old played 11 of the first 13 games, where he continued his development inside St Kilda’s back six, before a series of soft tissue injuries prevented him from staying on the park in the back end of the season.

Webster suffered a quad strain early in the year before straining his hamstring in the Saints’ upset win over Geelong in Round 14, which also marked his 50th appearance at the highest level.

That game would end up being his final senior outing of the year, after the club elected to put the Glenorchy product on ice for the season in August following a recurrence in his right hamstring.

On the back of a breakout season in 2015, Webster began the season strongly against Port Adelaide in Round 1, before producing the finest effort of his year in the win over Collingwood, where he helped himself to 24 touches at 91.7 per cent efficiency.

In the last game before he suffered the initial hamstring setback, Webster played an important role against the Blues in Round 12, gathering 23 possessions, four inside 50s and three rebound 50s.

“Jimmy had a strong start to the year. His ability to beat his direct opponent, play team defence and give us some drive out of defence was positive. He’s a really good user of the ball; he’s got great leg speed; he’s a tough kid, he likes smacking in, he likes making body contact and we certainly like that in the team, let alone down back. It was a really positive year in terms of lifting his possession rate, which was a focus going into the year. We wanted a bit more drive, we like Jimmy with the ball in his hands, he makes good decisions and executes well.

“So that was heading the right way until he ran into the injuries he suffered, which is frustrating, getting injuries is always frustrating for him and for us. It gave us the opportunity to look at [Daniel] McKenzie down back and [Brandon] White there late in the year.
“I would know expect Jimmy to understand that on the back of a really strong pre-season he was able to go to another level with his footy and that’s my expectation again this year, that he trains really hard, he’ll nail whatever it is from a focus point of view that we put at him and that won’t be too dissimilar to last year really. We will look for him to play a bit more through the midfield during the pre-season, he’ll do a bit of work on the wing, a little bit of work on the inside, but fundamentally it will be in defence. We do need Jimmy’s run and offensive weapons through the midfield at times so that will be a target he works towards.”

The Numbers:

11 games
14.7 possessions
3.1 marks
2.8 tackles
2.7 rebound 50s

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Advocate (TAS) - Alex Fair - 27/1/17

TASMANIANS IN THE AFL 2017: Jimmy Webster fit and firing as his comeback from injury continues

Unlike previous pre-season campaigns, Jimmy Webster has a smile on his face as this season gets closer.

That’s because for the first time in recent memory the 23-year-old from Glenorchy is healthy at this time of year.

The St Kilda running defender is on the comeback trail after hamstring issues destroyed the second half of his 2016.

“This has probably been the first year that I have done a whole pre-season, which has obviously been good to be injury free,’’ he told Fairfax Media.

“It makes it a lot easier, as when you are in rehab, you are just by yourself doing your own running, but to be able to back it up each session and train with the boys just takes that pressure off.”

His time away (his last game was in round 14) allowed him to strengthen his hamstrings and develop more confidence in his body.

But the negative was watching on while the Saints came close to finals.

“There’s nothing worse really than seeing your team do very well and be sitting on the sidelines,’’ Webster said.

“But all I am worried about now is trying to focus on each session and getting through them. In the pre-season games I will just look to go out and play, and hopefully play well, and that can hopefully kick me off for the season.”

St Kilda’s first JLT Community Series match is against Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium on February 23, a date Webster can’t wait for.

“I’m hanging out to get back out there, as you train and do all the hard work in the pre-season, so you are ready for pre-season games and then hopefully round 1,’’ he said.

“Everyone is excited around the club, and this year we are hoping to play finals and to improve.”

There is one area the 50 game player, is looking to get better at.

”Last year, defensively I as very good, but they just want the ball in my hands a bit more.”

“I have tried to focus on my offense, so I have sat down with (assistant coach) Lindsay Gilbee and (teammate) Joey (Leigh) Montagna to try to help get the ball in my hands more.”

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
saints.com.au - Josh Gabelich - 18/4/17

Confident Webster off and running in 2017

Young St Kilda defender Jimmy Webster has burst out of the blocks this year after rediscovering confidence in his body, says Saints skipper Jarryn Geary.

The 23-year-old missed the entire second half of last season with recurring hamstring strains, but after a full summer on the track and renewed faith in his body, Webster has got off to a strong start to 2017.

After collecting 21 disposals, four rebound 50s and three inside 50s against Brisbane in Round 3, the Tasmanian finished with 25 touches on Easter Sunday and cut the Pies apart with his precise left foot, going at an elite efficiency rate of 92.3 per cent by foot.

Geary said the hard-nosed half-back is playing with more confidence and is also not getting beaten in one-on-one contests. Webster has won or neutralised every one-on-one contest he has been in this season.

“I’m really rapt for him. He’s been able to find a bit of consistency this year which he probably hasn’t had the last couple of years with his body at times,” Geary said on 3AW Football on Easter Monday.

“He’s in great form, he’s playing with confidence with is something he’s probably lacked over the last couple of years. His first four games have been really promising.

“He saved a few of our bums (against Collingwood) on the odd occasion and he’s done that all year. It’s really good seeing him playing some good footy.”

Geary, who was appointed as Nick Riewoldt’s successor in early February, said new leadership group members, Seb Ross and Dylan Roberton, have not only led from the front on the track but have also set the tone with their performances on game day.

“All you want from your leaders is to perform strongly on game day so they can set the example and lead during the week. Seb and Dylan, who have come into the leadership group this year, have both been really good at doing that,” Geary said.

“One who has been really good for us this year and probably our best player in the first four rounds is Dylan Roberton and he’s another one that’s jumped into the leadership group this year.

“We’re hearing from different voices which is good. We’ve heard from ‘Rooey’ and ‘Joey’ for the last ten or so years so the boys hearing from different voices has been really good for them.”

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jimmy has really stepped up this year.
Best ever game for the club this week.

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
afl.com.au - Giulio Di Giorgio - 15/5/17

St Kilda defender Jimmy Webster is likely to be sidelined until after the Saints' round 11 bye to nurse the broken right hand he suffered after being stood on by Carlton ruckman Matthew Kreuzer midway through the first quarter.

Webster went to the rooms for assessment and did not reappear for the rest of the opening term.

The 23-year-old looked set to take his place in the second quarter, but he went back down the race for further treatment and remerged donning a tracksuit top and with his injured hand heavily strapped.

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unlucky for Jimmy to miss 4+ weeks. His had a great start to the season.
He has sent up great attatck so far this year with his pin point passing. Will be interesting to see who comes in for him.

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
saints.com.au - 31/5/17

MID-SEASON INJURY UPDATE

Rebounding defender Jimmy Wester remains a chance to return from a broken hand against Adelaide in Round 12.

General Manager of Football Performance Jamie Cox said Webster’s hand was recovering well but there were still some boxes to tick before the green light was given to return immediately after the mid-season break.

“Due to the injury, he has been able to get a strong conditioning block in and keeps himself in contention to play against Adelaide Friday week,” Cox said.

"He’ll be a test later next we but has recovered pretty well to give himself a chance at this stage.”

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
It's not surprising to me that our ball movement has looked pedestrian at times since his injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
saints.com.au - 20/6/17

Webster re-signs untill the end of 2019

St Kilda Football Club has secured the services of rebounding defender Jimmy Webster for a further two years.

The 23-year-old has re-signed with the Saints until the end of 2019 as he enjoys a standout season.

With a penetrating left foot, Webster has become a key member of the playing group in his sixth year at the club.

"The club has showed great faith in me since I was drafted in 2011 and I’m really excited about where we’re going as a group,” Webster said.

“Before I broke my hand against Carlton I was starting to string together some consistent footy and that will be my focus in the second half of the year, just to be more consistent.

Webster paid tribute to captain to Jarryn Geary for giving him the confidence to take the game on.

“Gears been terrific for me and someone I’ve learnt a fair bit off over the past few years.”

“He, and my coaches, have really encouraged me to back myself.”

St Kilda Chief Operating Officer Ameet Bains said Webster’s signature was an important one.

“We’re thrilled to have Jimmy on board until the end of 2019,” Bains said.

“He has become a really important member of our defence and taken his game to a new level this season.

“Securing his services for another two years is an important step in the club consolidating its core group of emerging senior players.”

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
saints.com.au - Josh Gabelich - 20/6/17

Hard nut Webster not going anywhere

St Kilda rebounding defender Jimmy Webster has taken his football to the next level this season and been rewarded with a new two-year contract extension that ties him to the club until the end of 2019.

Recruited from Glenorchy in Tasmania with pick No. 42 in the 2011 National Draft, not far behind emerging midfield stars Jack Newnes (No. 37) and Seb Ross (No. 25), Webster has overcome an injury interrupted 2016 to produce his strongest year to date in 2017.

With the ink still drying on his deal, Webster said St Kilda’s evolving back six and the influence of Assistant Coach Rohan Welsh and Senior Coach Alan Richardson were key factors behind his decision to commit to the Saints.

“It’s obviously good news that I’ve signed for another two years. It’s a pretty exciting time down at the Saints. We’re a young group coming through all as one,” Webster told saints.com.au after signing a contract extension on Tuesday.

“A few reasons why I re-signed is the back six is really bonding well with ‘Jakey’ Carlisle and Nathan Brown down there now.

“We’ve got a great coaching staff in ‘Woosha’ [Welsh] our backline coach and obviously ‘Richo’ is a great coach; he’s really honest and you know where you sit with him.”

After playing 11 of the first 13 games last season, Webster suffered repeated hamstring issues in the back end of the year, drawing the momentum he had built up to a halt and changing the way he prepares his body moving forward.

Webster believes there is no secret behind his improvement this year. He got the work into his body over the summer and the inclusion of key defenders, Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown, has allowed him to play his more attacking game off half-back this season.

“Probably the biggest thing for me this year has been getting a big pre-season under my belt; I completed about 80-85 per cent of it so that helps a lot as well,” Webster said.

“'Browny' and Jake have been awesome down there taking the big key forwards and that gives me and ‘Robbo’ and ‘Joey’ Montagna a bit more time and space off half back.”

Since arriving at the club from the apple isle as a raw 18-year-old, Saints skipper Jarryn Geary has taken the hard nut under his wing and helped navigate him through the challenges of being inside an AFL environment.

“He’s been huge for me,” Webster said.

“When I first got here he was one of the ones who would sit down and do my vision with me and he still does; he goes through clips and some things I need to work on and what I’m doing well.

“He’s obviously one of our best small defenders and one of the best in the league, so he’s been really good for me.”

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
afl.com.au - Ryan Davidson - 20/6/17

New two-year deal for St Kilda defender

ST KILDA has locked away an important part of its future, with defensive playmaker Jimmy Webster recommitting for a further two years.

The 23-year-old has re-signed with the Saints until the end of the 2019 season.

"The club has showed great faith in me since I was drafted in 2011 and I'm really excited about where we're going as a group," Webster said.

"Before I broke my hand against Carlton I was starting to string together some consistent footy and that will be my focus in the second half of the year, just to be more consistent."

Webster paid tribute to captain to Jarryn Geary for giving him the confidence to take on the game.

"Gears been terrific for me and someone I've learnt a fair bit off over the past few years. He, and my coaches, have really encouraged me to back myself," Webster said.

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Bains said Webster's signature was an important one.

"We're thrilled to have Jimmy on board until the end of 2019," Bains said.

"He has become a really important member of our defence and taken his game to a new level this season.

"Securing his services for another two years is an important step in the club consolidating its core group of emerging senior players."

Taken with pick 42 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, Webster has played 60 senior games since his debut in 2013.

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brett Stubbs - Mercury (TAS) - 20/6/17

Tasmanian star Jimmy Webster to stay a Saint

TASMANIAN Jimmy Webster’s breakout season has been rewarded with a two-year contract extension with St Kilda.

Webster, 23, is averaging career-best marks (four a game), kicks (11) and handballs (eight) this year and has become an integral part of the Saints’ rebounding defence.

He had 29 touches in the win over premiership favourites GWS, the best in his 60-game career to date.

“The club has shown great faith in me since I was drafted in 2011 and I’m really excited about where we’re going as a group,” Webster said.

“Before I broke my hand against Carlton I was starting to string together some consistent footy and that will be my focus in the second half of the year, just to be more consistent.”

Webster paid tribute to captain Jarryn Geary for giving him the confidence to take the game on.

“Gears has been terrific for me and someone I’ve learnt a fair bit off over the past few years,” the Glenorchy draftee said. “He, and my coaches, have really encouraged me to back myself.”

St Kilda chief operating officer Ameet Bains said Webster’s signature was an important one.

“We’re thrilled to have Jimmy on board until the end of 2019,” Bains said.

“He has become a really important member of our defence and taken his game to a new level this season. Securing his services for another two years is an important step in the club consolidating its core group of emerging senior players.”

Isn't it great , he went from not being in most peoples side at the start of the season to everybody saying can't wait for Webster to get back from injury , and everyone's happy because he has signed a new contract. All within one season . Football can be amazing sometimes.

Sent via HAL

Curious George

All Australian
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unfortunately Jimmy has been offered a 2 week suspension for making unnecessary contact to the eye region of Fremantle's Nick Suban.

He'll miss the Richmond and Essendon games.

A big out with two tough matches.

Back