Universal Love #Jimmy300 & Boris the Great tribute thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge week for our club, with 2 of our all time greats playing huge milestone games.

Post your tributes, highlights and thoughts here.

I also think tribute avatars are in order.... and have been running my Jimmy tribute for weeks.

We are exceptionally fortunate to have seen 2 players like this in our life time, let alone in the same team.

Boris and the Jimmy.. sounds like a couple of characters film in a Coen Brother film... Perhaps something like Enright's Crossing or Raising Corey..
No Im thinking about .. "No Country for old Men" or perhaps "True Grit"

Enright keeps clocking up the games and he shows no drop off that I can see. He has such a great knack for being where the ball is going , he reads the play as good as anyone Ive seen at Geelong. Maybe he has lost pace but I can see it.. be a shame to see him pull stumps but I feel thats up to him and his motivation.. I suspect you don't get to this many games without great pride in performance..and I doubt he would want to play to a lesser standard. Maybe its not a country for old men but it the AFL is seeing a few players get to milestone games .. experience is something that you cant manufacture and Enright is one of the best ever.

Jimmy Bartel , this years version has a beard but its not the facial appendage that I think of when I think "The Jimmy" , its the way he had such good hands , a great mark for a player his size , such a big moment player that he could tell when it was time to go .. when the youknowwhat hist the fan its Bartel who will be found pounding in. Its his judgement as much as his talent as a footballer that I admire..less speed , less size than many yet few has his "in game" smarts. True Grit.. yes sir but talent as well.

Its rare thing to have champions in a side.. rare to have two like these celebrate a huge game together.. one can only hope that its a game with the right result.. a result they both deserve.

These two guys typify the skill/win level of our great 2007-11 side. Who can forget Enright's one handed pick ups and 30 metre handpasses - all in one motion at near top speed. He made it look ordinary. Straight to a running SJ who sideways kicks it to Selwood who jabs a 40 metre pass onto Mooney's chest. Was that the Harlem Globetrotters we just saw? Yes it was. Jimmy Bartel style, where Jimmy is in the back pocket with the ball on the boundary line, TRYING TO KEEP IN PLAY with some fancy footwork and tapping - getting it out of there and driving it down forward for another goal. How much skill, how much confidence in your team-mates abilities do you have to even try to do that?

With the elite skill players, you can't tell if it's a wet day when you are watching them. Who were our best players tonight? Enright, Bartel. I was watching them two mainly. Was it wet at all last night?

164051-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

The Babyface Bandit

Shorts v Speedos

Last edited:
Well this'll be tough. who to pick for an av this week.

The best half back flanker of the AFL era or The People's Beard

No alternating gif going between images of both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge week for our club, with 2 of our all time greats playing huge milestone games.

Post your tributes, highlights and thoughts here.

I also think tribute avatars are in order.... and have been running my Jimmy tribute for weeks.

We are exceptionally fortunate to have seen 2 players like this in our life time, let alone in the same team.
How fitting that two of the clubs most humble champions get to share their milestones on the same night.
They are the embodiment of what Geelong F C means to me

Until 2016 Jimmy was my favourite Geelong player. He has always 'bled' for Geelong and, to me, embodies everything positive about the club's golden era (2007 - 2011). His humility, never say die attitude, and his readiness to put the team first as shown in the 2009 GF, make him one of the club's all time greats. Plus he's a Joey's boy....can't get enough of them.

Corey Enright - what can you say! In his early years he seemed injury prone and I doubted he would be a long term member of the GFC. Glad I was 100% wrong. And hope he continues on in 2017. AA selection in 2016 would be a fitting reward in his record breaking year.

Both players have filled my memory with glorious, iconic moments.

Jimmy's perhaps more highlight reel stuff - for that goal at the end of the 2007 GF first quarter - snap on the left from about 40m after a chain of pressured handballs reached him. (I think that's the photo celebrating that Sstew posted above). And top clutch goals in 2011 as part of what was perhaps his signature performance in the GF.
What an awesome player he has been and remains!

Boris is possibly a little less spectacular but equally as skillful and essential a part of the Cats over his career. Could a player be more reliable or possess better judgement? A tremendous, versatile player with underrated aerial, kicking and handball skills.
What an awesome player he has been and remains!

Between them these guys represent the absolute best of the Geelong Football Club - hope they get a win to help celebrate these great milestones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back