Toast JJ The Roadrunner

Remove this Banner Ad

As great as the goal was, that was such poor play by the two Saints players. It was almost under 10s stuff the way they pretty much ran right next to each other.

We know that, not having the experience to draw the player.. But against the Saints resulting in a goal, it's sweet nonetheless

can't see myself not doing a vision reel of JJ this off season. Guy plays footy in a far too attractive way to let an off season pass through without some JJ vision getting cut up and put together

can't see myself not doing a vision reel of JJ this off season. Guy plays footy in a far too attractive way to let an off season pass through without some JJ vision getting cut up and put together
Look no further than post 94 for some of the best, most conclusive and professionally put together JJ footage out there :thumbsu:

Would have to be priority #1 of our re-signings this season - out of contract in 17 isn't he?
We should strike while the iron is hot and get him signed up this off season straight after the premiership. Interested to see if we'll wait for the CBA and TPP to go through

14726430_1811097272507340_4186518671696330752_n.jpg

Boy is this guy quietly putting together a great season.

Has had at least 18 possessions in every game so far. In 2017 and 2018 he had 5 games each season where he didn't reach 18 touches.

Of the Defenders across the competition who have had at least 40 rebound 50's and average 22+ disposals, JJ leads them all with 12 Goal Assists (Next best is Rory Laird on 5). This includes names who are firmly in the AA conversation such as Stewart, Sicily, Lloyd, Hurn, Rich, Crisp, Zac Williams, Houli and Daniel.

Back to his damaging best.

Boy is this guy quietly putting together a great season.

Has had at least 18 possessions in every game so far. In 2017 and 2018 he had 5 games each season where he didn't reach 18 touches.

Of the Defenders across the competition who have had at least 40 rebound 50's and average 22+ disposals, JJ leads them all with 12 Goal Assists (Next best is Rory Laird on 5). This includes names who are firmly in the AA conversation such as Stewart, Sicily, Lloyd, Hurn, Rich, Crisp, Zac Williams, Houli and Daniel.

Back to his damaging best.
He’s been great, getting better every week. Even his one on one contests are getting better which really is his Achilles heel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s been great, getting better every week. Even his one on one contests are getting better which really is his Achilles heel
Has only had 16 'clangers' so far which equates to only 5.9% of his possessions. Only Rory Laird and Jake Kolodjashnij have a better rate (min. 5 games) across the entire comp. Using the ball beautifully.

It's funny, back in 2015 I thought he was a terrible kick. Some time towards the end of 2015 and start of 2016 he learned to take the foot off the gas for a few steps before he kicks and basically overnight his kicking became exceptional.
Spot on Scrag. He was kicking the ball too hard as well. Bailey Williams does it now and Nathan Buckley was guilty of it early in his career. You don't need to split a teammate in half when you kick it to him. The best ball users make the leading player come to the ball. JJ's balance when kicking is absolutely elite.

It's funny, back in 2015 I thought he was a terrible kick. Some time towards the end of 2015 and start of 2016 he learned to take the foot off the gas for a few steps before he kicks and basically overnight his kicking became exceptional.
I think hes always been an exceptional kick. He hs been asked to execute it in an extremely difficult way.

I mentioned in another thread he and Caleb are in the top 4 players in the league for kick rating, which measures each kick against others executing the same kind of kick. Positioning of team mates and opposition players are considered too. Hurn is number 1, cant remember the other one in the top 4.

There are few better sights than a confident JJ striding out of defence. In 2016 he didn’t even bother looking over his shoulder when he took possession. He was confident that as long as he was sprinting he could burst away from anyone. Great to see him thinking like that again and having confidence in himself. Such an exciting and damaging player.

It's evolved to being a different bunch of blokes around him now that we have been recruiting with a bit more attention to speed and disposal. So his assets are not unique any more. And those that have a bit of grunt and appetite for a physical contest have nudged ahead of him.

That said I was impressed when he ran hard at a Giants player and took him over the line to get a stoppage late in the game. Whether he does that sort of thing enough is the question. He'll know what's required to stay in the side and he's still young enough but he mustn't lose his willingness to take the game on. That match-winning run late in the 2016 PF to deliver to Bont was epic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back