Toast JJ The Roadrunner

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is hanging on by the skin of his teeth to be best 22. That being said he had a terrific patch of 15 mins in that last quarter when the game was on the line. 3-4 major impacts helped us kick out to a 4-5 goal lead.

I must say I turned to my mate during the third qtr and said I'd put JJ up for trade at year's end, but he managed to redeem himself. Just needs to keep chasing and tackling.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
JJ needs to find that desperation that he showed in the final quarter and do it more consistently, otherwise he's been pushed off of HB permanently by guys like Dale & Daniel while Richards & Butler are best off of the flank as well. He needs to either be able to play as a wingman or to dial up the pressure up forward because he's currently on the trade table for me.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Playing in the worst possible position he could play in, forward, didn’t help either.
Not sure why so many in here push for it.

Because there isn’t a spot for him in the backline. Even with Williams missing.

I don’t want to push him out the door because I don’t want to do what Collingwood did to Treloar but we should ask him to renegotiate his contract and half the money.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because there isn’t a spot for him in the backline. Even with Williams missing.

I don’t want to push him out the door because I don’t want to do what Collingwood did to Treloar but we should ask him to renegotiate his contract and half the money.

If there’s no spot for him in the only role he can play, then he should miss out.

No reason to go all Treloar on him either. If he gets paid $500K to play 2’s so be it.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To be fair, I’ve never rated JJ since he’s been at the club. I’ve seen his deficiencies years ago, and he hasn’t changed. Doesn’t like contact at all and shits himself far too much a la last night with that weak kick at goal that Bruce nearly goaled. Time to move him on, probably only get a packet of chips for him now, but he’s cooked

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JJ needs a fresh start in life be it footy or something else. He hasn't looked like it for ages, Doesn't appear to want it enough often enough.

You can't teach intensity, effort and desire.(see exhibit A Schache)

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
To be fair, I’ve never rated JJ since he’s been at the club. I’ve seen his deficiencies years ago, and he hasn’t changed. Doesn’t like contact at all and shits himself far too much a la last night with that weak kick at goal that Bruce nearly goaled. Time to move him on, probably only get a packet of chips for him now, but he’s cooked

If anyone is that desperate to take him they'd probably ask us to throw the chips in as well, they'd be worth more than JJ

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Somewhat have to wonder if part of it just has to do with off-field changes too.

Since the Premiership, he's lost his best mate Jake after finding out he was cheating on Abbie (who he was also friends with). Then found himself a partner and has become a father. Add in last year with the Covid isolation.

Might just have struggled to adapt to his lifestyle changes. Looks a shadow of his former self and is only 28

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Somewhat have to wonder if part of it just has to do with off-field changes too.

Since the Premiership, he's lost his best mate Jake after finding out he was cheating on Abbie (who he was also friends with). Then found himself a partner and has become a father. Add in last year with the Covid isolation.

Might just have struggled to adapt to his lifestyle changes. Looks a shadow of his former self and is only 28
Yeah nah, that’s called life mate. It’s been what five years since the stringer debacle? Everybody has had to deal with Covid, he kept his job and earning a bucketload more money than the average Australian. Not really buying the excuses you’re throwing out there

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
5 possies last night, just looks lost out there now.

Admittedly the set up role has been handed to Daniel so JJ no longer finds himself getting those handballs and short kicks down back.

He's mostly never been great under high pressure and last night was a good example.

In my reckoning he would be among the 4 or 5 dropped and if that happened you'd think he might be looking elsewhere to finish his career.

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah nah, that’s called life mate. It’s been what five years since the stringer debacle? Everybody has had to deal with Covid, he kept his job and earning a bucketload more money than the average Australian. Not really buying the excuses you’re throwing out there
It's not an excuse. The fact is that some people can't cope with change as well as others and his form has declined as these events have occurred in his life

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He's been set up to fail playing a role he just doesn't have the ability to be playing. He's playing as a forward with no crumbing ability/tackle pressure and has never played forward so doesn't have the leading patterns or knowledge to find the gaps.

If he's not at half back running as hard as he can taking the game on through the middle then he shouldn't be in the side.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's not an excuse. The fact is that some people can't cope with change as well as others and his form has declined as these events have occurred in his life

But you aren't talking facts. You are speculating. You don't know what JJ's pych make up is or what happens in his life.

I'd prefer to judge footy players on their on field work and the Fact is JJ hasn't performed consistently for a while and may be dropped

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But you aren't talking facts. You are speculating. You don't know what JJ's pych make up is or what happens in his life.

I'd prefer to judge footy players on their on field work and the Fact is JJ hasn't performed consistently for a while and may be dropped
Yes I am speculating. You misread my comment. I said the fact is that some people struggle when outside factors change. My original comment was speculation, I started it with "have to wonder"

Last edited:
The coaches need to sit him down to watch Brad Hill’s game today and tell him that’s how he needs to use his attributes.

Needs to be behind the ball more often and breaking lines to set up plays up the ground

Back