Games & Recreation JK Rowling The Sexual Deviant - The Harry Potter Discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics Melbourne Stars
1) Hogwarts House: Gryffindor

2) Wand: English Oak wood with a unicorn hair core, 14 ¼" and slightly yielding flexibility

3) Patronus: Bassett Hound

4) Ilvermorny House: Thunderbird

5) Magical Name: Lucius Davies

6) Top 5 characters: Dobby, Dumbledore, Ron, Harry and Voldemort.

7) When and how did you first learn about Harry Potter? Just grew up with it.

8) Favourite book of the series? Deathly Hallows.

9) What would your Boggart be? Darkness maybe idk

10) Do you have any Harry Potter Merchandise? Legos from back in the day and DVD set.

11) Which is your favourite subject at Hogwarts? Arts

12) Which Quidditch team would you support? Cork

13) If you could cast an unforgivable curse on any character, who would it be and which curse? Avada Kedavra on Draco

14) Which pet would you have? Dog

15) Have you made any friends through Harry Potter? Nope

16) Which is your favourite scene from the movies? When harry puts on the invisibility cloak.

17) Which cut scene do you wish they had included in the movies? When Harry gets grabbed by the Hand of glory

18) Have you ever read HP fanfiction? Seen a few videos on YT

19) Favourite canon and non-canon ships? Ron/Luna and Harry/luna

20) Favourite magical object? Invisibility Cloak

21) Favourite magical creature? Boggarts

22) What is your IDEAL magical occupation? Astronome

23) If you could bring ONE HP character back from the dead, who would it be and why?

24) Favourite spell and potion? Obliviate and Amortentia

25) What’s the first way you’d use the room of requirement? $$

26) Favourite places in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade? Emporium and The station

27) Favourite teacher? Flitwick

28) What would you see if you looked into the Mirror of Erised? Not sure

29) If you had access to a pensieve , which is the memory you would put into there? All the good ones

30) You’re in the Triwizard tournament – which task are you most comfortable with completing and which are you least? 1st and 3rd

MWPP
MEB_

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
wow, 8.5/10?? Gee, I have a favourable outlook on it compared the critics that roasted the s**t out of it but no way I'd have a movie this flawed at 8.5 (unless you shoehorn a lot of movies in the 1.5 rating points haha)

Forgetting the canonical inconstancies; the movie is best described as an absolute mess (i still don't even know what the deal with the family tree nonsense and what that's got to do with anything). Character development is basically non-existent and in some cases basically reversed from the first movie (e.g Queenie)

Having said all that, the Dumbledore scenes were well done and the blood pact is a much better reason for them avoiding each other than whatever we got previously. Action scenes were entertaining as well.

Id give a 7 generous.

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
wow, 8.5/10?? Gee, I have a favourable outlook on it compared the critics that roasted the s**t out of it but no way I'd have a movie this flawed at 8.5 (unless you shoehorn a lot of movies in the 1.5 rating points haha)

Forgetting the canonical inconstancies; the movie is best described as an absolute mess (i still don't even know what the deal with the family tree nonsense and what that's got to do with anything). Character development is basically non-existent and in some cases basically reversed from the first movie (e.g Queenie)

Having said all that, the Dumbledore scenes were well done and the blood pact is a much better reason for them avoiding each other than whatever we got previously. Action scenes were entertaining as well.

Id give a 7 generous.
I agree, except I would say more like a 6 at best. I was pretty disappointed.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wouldn’t argue with any of that except the canononical inconsistencies. It’s a magical world that Rowling has rarely if ever taken a misstep with, literally all the plot points people have issue with can be explained pretty simply or wand waved away.

Personally I liked the film, I find Newt a fantastic protagonist and for what is essentially a filler movie (eg Hunger Games 2-3) it’s still a seriously fun ride. I’d admit to not being in on Queenies character and her position quite as much but the very end was a bit of an “ohhhh of course” moment and tied that all back in.

Like I said, wouldn’t disagree with lower ratings on the film, it’s subjective after all, but I enjoyed it.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have finally started reading Harry Potter to my children. My five year old loves it. I have never seen him pay such attention to a book before. It’s the highlight of my day coming home from work and reading to them (when I have them) - I have them for a whole week in a couple of weeks so looking forward to that!

He walks around the house saying “fancy seeing you here professor mcgonagall” :tearsofjoy:

Aww I would double like that post if I could OES - awesome stuff. Glad to see that you're raising your kids properly :D . Laughed at the last line too. As an aside- how have you been? It has been ages!

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
I wouldn’t argue with any of that except the canononical inconsistencies. It’s a magical world that Rowling has rarely if ever taken a misstep with, literally all the plot points people have issue with can be explained pretty simply or wand waved away.
Its the unnecessary messy nature of everything really. What was the really the point of credence-dumbledore reveal exactly? How is that linking back to the AB vs GW fight? (which will happen after like 18 years after this movie) Why completely deviate from established character traits/behaviors e.g. Queenie?
Calling it a 'mess' is a bit of an understatement.:huh:
Compare this to something like inception. Super complex and intricate movie right; I spent like an hour on Wikipedia to see if I understood everything properly. BUT it can be broken down very simply- a team entering a shared dream state to induce inception. Nobody is confused about what the movie is or what it's trying to be.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its the unnecessary messy nature of everything really. What was the really the point of credence-dumbledore reveal exactly? How is that linking back to the AB vs GW fight? (which will happen after like 18 years after this movie) Why completely deviate from established character traits/behaviors e.g. Queenie?
Calling it a 'mess' is a bit of an understatement.:huh:
Compare this to something like inception. Super complex and intricate movie right; I spent like an hour on Wikipedia to see if I understood everything properly. BUT it can be broken down very simply- a team entering a shared dream state to induce inception. Nobody is confused about what the movie is or what it's trying to be.

Well I think the credence reveal is going to be a critical plot point and JK is playing a long game, it’s a divisive plot point though, if you don’t like it it’s gonna effect the whole film. There are literally hundreds of hours or reading and listening on podcasts if you wanna subject yourself.

As for the character of Queenie, I could see the motivations and they made sense to me (even though they are a departure from her initial values we established). I didn’t like her journey as such and she felt a little shoe horned until the end when it made perfect sense why it was her (which again looks to me like Rowling wrote her in the first film with this progression in mind).

Ironically I watched inception on Sunday for the 3rd time. I still don’t think it’s as complex as many others do and frankly on rewatch I forgot how much clunky exposition is given, it’s actually spelled out by the characters every single step of th way, JGLs whole character is just there to read the script for the audience. I like that Beasts hasn’t done that, you’re eithher up to speed with this or you’re not, we won’t explain it all to you.

I have finally started reading Harry Potter to my children. My five year old loves it. I have never seen him pay such attention to a book before. It’s the highlight of my day coming home from work and reading to them (when I have them) - I have them for a whole week in a couple of weeks so looking forward to that!

He walks around the house saying “fancy seeing you here professor mcgonagall” :tearsofjoy:
That's awesome.

My kids were similarly enthralled when I read the books to them. Especially my middle child, who got his own set of books for Christmas and has been ploughing through them since.

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
Well I think the credence reveal is going to be a critical plot point and JK is playing a long game,
I know JK a genius and everything but im really not sure about this...:think: I reckon they made this up just then- if not that's just v. poor execution.

Ironically I watched inception on Sunday for the 3rd time. I still don’t think it’s as complex as many others do and frankly on rewatch I forgot how much clunky exposition is given, it’s actually spelled out by the characters every single step of th way, JGLs whole character is just there to read the script for the audience. I like that Beasts hasn’t done that, you’re eithher up to speed with this or you’re not, we won’t explain it all to you.
I can't believe you're criticising Inception's exposition tbh- I thought it was expertly delivered (maybe the business dude was hard to understand sometimes). Like "whose subconscious are we going into exactly?" is a question that not only the audience would want to be answered but also a realistic question for the character to have asked. Compare that with other movies where it's painfully obvious that the exposition dump is just for the audience.

In any case FB2 isnt fit to tie inceptions shoelaces haha.:p

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know JK a genius and everything but im really not sure about this...:think: I reckon they made this up just then- if not that's just v. poor execution.

I can't believe you're criticising Inception's exposition tbh- I thought it was expertly delivered (maybe the business dude was hard to understand sometimes). Like "whose subconscious are we going into exactly?" is a question that not only the audience would want to be answered but also a realistic question for the character to have asked. Compare that with other movies where it's painfully obvious that the exposition dump is just for the audience.

In any case FB2 isnt fit to tie inceptions shoelaces haha.:p

Yeh maybe watch it back, I certainly didn’t think it was so poorly delivered first time around but on rewatch it’s pretty poor. The movie itself is still incredible but that element is horrible.

I was floored last night watching a Voldemort recap vid. Apparently he has a child!!!
I take it you haven’t read or watched the Cursed Child ?

Sister bought it for me for Christmas a couple years ago, still havent gotten around to reading it haha.
It’s a quick read and worth it for the snippets of information we learnt and the character development . I consider it more of an adjunct than a true part of the series due to some of the plot elements.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
Voldy shouldn't be knocking people up as far as I'm concerned unless it was done in an extremely evil manner.

Back