AFL Autopsy JLT 1: 9 point loss to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations

Carlton: An interesting off-season for the blues, turning over a quarter of their list. They beat the Bombers for the signing of Will Setterfield, and drafted well with the likes of Sam Walsh and Liam Stocker to add to their midfield depth.

Essendon: Essendon had a big off-season yet again, bringing in GWS star midfielder Dylan Shiel for a hefty fee, and after a fast finish to 2018 are looking set to explode into the new season.

Head to Head (last 5)

Carlton 3-2 Essendon

Form Guide

Carlton: 0W 0L
Essendon: 0W 0L

Sportsbet odds (unavailable)

Carlton:
Essendon:
Line: ($1.92)

Possible sides

Carlton vs Essendon

B: Ridley - Hartley - McNiece
F: Polson - McGovern - McKay
HB: Long - Zerk-Thatcher - Houlahan
HF: Petrevski-Seton - De Koning - Cuningham
C: Guelfi - Mynott - Mutch
C: Stocker - Walsh - O'Brien
HF: Laverde - Brown - Ham
HB: Newman - Weitering - Williamson
F: Baguley - McKernan - Stewart
B: Plowman - Marchbank - Schumacher
R: Draper - Shiel - D Clarke
R: Lobbe - Dow - Kennedy
I: Zaharakis - Myers - Dea - Gown
I: O'Dwyer - LeBois - Kerr - B Silvagni
I: Z Clarke - Jok - Mosquito - Ambrose
I: J Silvagni - Gibbons - Owies - Cottrell

Carlton defence vs Essendon forward line

Carlton's defence was battered and bruised last season, conceding more goals than any other team and conceding a goal 27.4% of the time it entered inside their defensive 50, well above the league average of 23.2%. The Dons were slightly above average in as far as goals per inside 50 were concerned, kicking a goal 23.8% of the time it entered their attacking 50. Essendon currently have three players who had similar averages last season competing for one key forward spot realistically if Daniher comes back, so it will be interesting to see which of McKernan, Stewart and Brown step up and take the chance to partner Daniher and Stringer, especially with players like Marchbank, Plowman and Weitering looking to put forward their credentials for a start against Richmond for the Blues. Laverde could be one to watch as well, the big bodied forward/midfielder looked excellent in the last game of last season against Port, all Essendon fans want to see him do well this season.

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon finished 5th in average clearance differential last year, a massive improvement from their bottom four place after 8 rounds. Carlton ended up 3rd last but have added a few good midfielders in the off-season to accomodate that, however none as good as Dylan Shiel. That being said, both sides may look to give supporters a glance at young players here, the Blues with Sam Walsh, Liam Stocker and the impressive Paddy Dow whilst the Dons will give the quietly successful Trent Mynott, who was very impressive in the VFL last year, who formed an impressive clearance 1-2 with big bodied Dylan Clarke, who plays a lot similarly to Matt Priddis, unfortunately with an inferior kick. On the outside the Blues will be looking to the quick footed and neatly skilled Lochie O'Brien to add value when delivering inside 50 alongside players like Sam Petrevski-Seton and Nic Newman from Sydney, whereas Essendon will be looking at the experience of David Zaharakis and the Stanton-esque play of Kobe Mutch to do that role for them. Rucks wise, Matt Lobbe is a solid back up ruck but Sam Draper is one of the more impressive young rucks on an AFL list IMO at VFL level and looks like a real find for the Dons.

Carlton forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence was under a lot of pressure last season, they were in the top 8 for goals conceded, however they were bang on the average goals conceded per inside 50 of 23.2%. Luckily for the Dons, the Blues were less than stellar forward of centre, kicking a goal only 19.2% of the time it entered their forward 50, well below the AFL average. Big recruit Mitch McGovern will be the main attraction up here, the contested marking forward likely to be a test for young and impressive key defender Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, with Michael Hartley likely to take the big lump Tom De Koning, a potential future version of Levi Casboult for the Blues, and the third of the trio in Harry McKay probably getting a mix of Jordan Ridley and Paddy Ambrose. The smalls for Carlton may come in the form of Cameron Polson, who was impressive for Preston last year in the VFL, ready to take on the mature aged Ben McNiece.

X-Factor Player

Kym LeBois has some excellent bloodlines running through his veins. I can't remember them all but he is definitely related to Gavin Wanganeen in some way and it kills me to see anybody related to Wangers play for the Scum

Key stat

Carlton: Defensive Conversion. They need to keep the three fringe AFL key forwards down, if they can do that they'll go well.

Essendon: Clearances. Time for the young boys to show what they've got, hopefully the Dons find a player of the future here.

Tip

Who really cares, but Dons by 27.

I was going to make a Game Day thread for this game but I'll be honest, I really can't be arsed.

Dons by 286 points with Laverde to kick 23 goals.

In the first quarter.

Think we should play relatively close to our best side given there is only two games. Outside of that I'd like to see Draper and Clarke given a run given TBC not being the most durable bloke it's likely one of them will see plenty of footy this year.

I hope the coaching staff also rewards the fringe players who've been stand outs on the training track not that I have any idea who they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now I know you've got to play some kids for these preseason games, but round 8 last year when we lost to the Blues by 13 points still hurts....!!
Hate losing to Carlton so to that end I hope we play to win and play some guns - would love to see Shiel get a run, and wouldn't be adverse to Jake & Joe playing first up either. Joe and Jake could beat up on Cartlons crappy defence and it might just give Joe a bit of a confidence boost if he can snag a few goals.
I'd go with something like;-

Ambrose Hartley Long
Ridley Margaret Guelfi
Zakka Myers McGrath
Begley Brown Mosquoito
Stringer Daniher Baguley

Draper Shiel Parish

Bench from: Langford Mutch D.Clarke Jok Mynott McNeice Laverde Z.Clarke

Last edited:
I don't care too much about the result but I really hope we play as many of best forward line players as possible. I think we've generally had a lack of continuity in that area. Eg Daniher/McKernan have barely played together, Fantasia was often injured last year, Stringer was played in a variety of roles and also hasn't played much with Daniher either. I think we would benefit from getting 2 games into our ideal forward line to the extent that players are up to it fitness wise. Note: I realise Daniher won't be playing a full game but even playing a half (whether JLT 1 or 2) with those guys will help.

Not as worried about the other lines. In defense Hurley and Hooker have played together for years and the defense overall is pretty settled. Probably a good chance to give Ridley and Zerk a go. Midfield still building chemistry but the only major change is Shiel in. I don't mind giving guys like Mutch, Clarke or Mynott a run to see what they can produce at that level. Bellchambers already stated that he definitely wants to play 1 game, so I reckon give him the second JLT game and maybe let Draper/Clarke have a bit more of a run in the first one.

Man, this has certainly come about quickly. Obviously I won't be making the trek over from Adelaide but am certainly looking forward to hearing from those that do attend about how we went, who looks good etc.

I thought he just meant the red hots were s**t now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back