Preview JLT 1: GWS v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Ankle injury in 15, missed 2. Same week Brodie Grundy nearly broke his neck at training.

I suspect he was only pretending to be injured, didn't want people to clue onto the fact that he's actually superhuman.

*** NOTE: I may have taken this notion from a movie, Unbreakable, in which the unbreakable main character fakes an injury in order to step away from football. Great movie. ***

It's so hard to not care about a pre-season game. We're just not good enough. Just wish Mayne and Smith weren't out there.

Does anyone else notice that when Tom Langdon takes a mark in the back line he goes back as if he’s got 30 seconds to have a shot at goal.
Where’s the bloody urgency Tom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else notice that when Tom Langdon takes a mark in the back line he goes back as if he’s got 30 seconds to have a shot at goal.

He's not a runner.. his only option is to step back and try and hit a target.

Never been an advocate of Maynard in the midfield either.. he needs to move back. His thought process is slow. Normally sees one option and goes with that.

I know its only a jlt game.. but that was seriously the worst game I've ever seen as play.
What sort of repercussions should there be after such a devastating loss?

I'm only saying it was the worst game I've ever seen us play. I'm not overly concerned at this stage.. s**t load of players didn't play.
You’re not overly concerned with “the worst game you have ever seen us play.”

Can you see the slight contradiction there?

Langdon is an interesting player
He has a weapon along with huge deficiencies

He is a very good pack mark and an even better intercept mark
However, his resulting disposal will either be to a player in an impossibly worse position or it will be a turn over

I'm still not sure which side of his game we should concentrate on

The other thing I'd really like to see is a settled line-up. Can our coaches please choose positions for our players and leave them there (apart from rotations)? From what I could see last night, players were playing in different positions from the intra-club. I know there is naturally some rotations, but I'd like to see players in one primary role and then rotate out of that. Bucks in his presser basically said, "We tried new things." Ok, but right now we don't need that. We need consistency.

I'd like to see Broomhead more in the middle or wing if he plays (as in the intraclub), since he just dies on the HFF.
I'd like to see Varcoe either forward or back but not both.
I'd like to see Pendlebury either forward or in the centre but not both.
Where the hell does Philips play? The wing I guess but was he playing forward yesterday? If not where the hell was he?
Also, not convinced with both Adams and Crisp in the back line. Their ambition outweighs their skills.

Too much throwing around - "trying new things" -- for my liking.

What bugged me the most was that we need to be cleaner by hand. It was just a god awful mess. We could also do with some more dudes who can calm the hell down and see the right target. I really don't want to deal with another year of s**t inside 50 kicks, I just can't deal with that again. It was hell to watch last year even.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back