Autopsy JLT 1 - Melbourne def Bulldogs by 6 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not the point I was making
Goodwin himself said he has real best 22 potential himself after the game
Didn't say it was. I was just pointed out he was annonymous on the weekend and he really wants to start miaking an impact or he will be delisted by seasons end

Didn't say it was. I was just pointed out he was annonymous on the weekend and he really wants to start miaking an impact or he will be delisted by seasons end

26 players means players would have struggled for rhythm during the game, one practice game does not make a season

26 players means players would have struggled for rhythm during the game, one practice game does not make a season
For sure. However I'm sure both himself and the coaching staff would have hoped for better

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

As an aside, I know that we'd rather have a back-of-jumper sponsor, but the back of the jumper looks so...clean. It's awesome.

I thought the exact same thing.

Tell ya what though, Hogan, Weid/Pedo, Watts with Gawn going forward is a massive headache. Most opposition players will either watch Hogan or Gawn which leaves the other 2 free. Most teams won't have enough talls to cover them all.

Also want to say that OMac has proved me wrong. I was iffy on him getting games early last year and didn't think he was up to speed. As the season went on he was more than serviceable. This game he looked like he picked up where he left off and deserves to be a lock in the 22.

Last edited:
He should be banned from commentating. Was watching it on my phone, was tempted to smash the speaker with a hammer to ensure I couldn't hear him
He seems to have developed a tendency to only care about the 'names'. Like in the game we beat Hawthorn last year. We were all over them and about to break a record that dated back to Moses and all he wanted to talk about was the 2 good things Cyril did. On the weekend it was the same with Cloke. Absolute jibberer.

I thought the exact same thing.

Tell ya what though, Hogan, Weid/Pedo, Watts with Gawn going forward is a massive headache. Most opposition players will either watch Hogan or Gawn which leaves the other 2 free. Most teams won't have enough talls to cover them all.

Also want to say that OMac has proved me wrong. I was iffy on him getting games early last year and didn't think he was up to speed. As the season went on he was more than serviceable. This game he looked like he picked up where he left off and deserves to be a lock in the 22.
Plus Garlett/Kent in the forward line too. If they can all get on the field together, that is a tough forward line to match up on providing we have structure and good entries. I mean, it was last year too really. We scored fairly easily in most games, certainly our wins. Way more than we had in previous seasons. Like 5 goals a game more or something wasn't it?

Anyway, I reckon our game was the closest to a real game out of all of them ive seen so far. The intensity and skills were pretty close to a real game. I wouldn't have really been able to tell it was preseason if I didn't know.

Our tackling won us the game I thought. I've been saying that since about 2008. If our tackling is up, we are usually either winning or at least in the game and we did it really well against the premiers.

Still think the dogs get away with throwing the football multiple times every quarter. We need to learn how to do this. The one how you throw it over your head to keep it moving forward. That's a throw, but if they aren't going to pay it, then we should do it too.

Also, we need to learn to just hold onto the ball when getting tackled straight after taking possession. This must be hard for players, i concede, but we often get done frantically trying to handball after a tackler has pinned an arm. Now, there is absolutely no confidence in the umpires adjudicating it properly and balling it up (more likely to balls it up amirite), but you're better off at least taking the odds to it and holding on rather than offering the umpire no choice by not handballing it properly. Happens to us a few times a game.

Joel Smith was excellent. Calm, composed with the ball and an absolute menace off the ball. Couldn't have done any more to demand a spot.

Still not convinced with OMac but others are. Personally I crap my dacks whenever he has to kick it.

Was pleasantly surprised with Spencil-Gawn combo. Teams will struggle against that I reckon and anything to help Gawn's workload and not throw Watts to the wolves is ok with me. Still unsure why we didn't get another ruck though.

Midfield was good once it got going. Oliver was excellent. Viney was great as always. Just good times.

Hunt looked good too. Looked like he has a better understanding of when to go and when not too and seemed to make pretty good decisions. He's important for us. An absolute weapon that other sides just can't stop. Not many sides have a player like him. He won't look good in every game, but the games he does might just be the difference.

Hogan was excellent. Against pretty much the defenders he will play against in the real stuff unless I'm missing something. All the defenders they were wrapping up heaps last year like Adams. He made illegal love to him. Even when he was double teamed he still beat them. His set shots were fine. Only preseason but that's exciting.

Lewis slotted in nicely. Never going to say no to some composure back there. Vince I'm not convinced about playing that quarterback role. He turns it over way too often IMO. And when he turns it over, it's a goal the other way. Happened a few times last year as well. Rather him in the midfield.

Speaking of kicking. Nathan Jones. Wtf did you do? I remember back in the day when he could barely hit is foot with the ball. Now he's running around and nailing lace out passes on his left and full tilt. Has there ever been anyone in the history of the game who has improved his kicking as much as him? He'd have to be up there with the most reliable kicks in the side if not the most. Especially under pressure.

Right. Back to work

Last edited:
He seems to have developed a tendency to only care about the 'names'. Like in the game we beat Hawthorn last year. We were all over them and about to break a record that dated back to Moses and all he wanted to talk about was the 2 good things Cyril did. On the weekend it was the same with Cloke. Absolute jibberer.
Gawn is awesome, but the fapping Kingy & co make over him (I know it's not his fault) tend to makes you dislike the player.

Rioli is a good player, but all the jizz about him makes every footy fan hate him (out of Riolis control).

I can see why people hate Stringer (due to no fault of his own). People like BT making names and trying to get in his pants. It's nice to hear if the player is on your team, but as opposition or neutral it's incredibly frustrating

Gawn is awesome, but the fapping Kingy & co make over him (I know it's not his fault) tend to makes you dislike the player.

Rioli is a good player, but all the jizz about him makes every footy fan hate him (out of Riolis control).

I can see why people hate Stringer (due to no fault of his own). People like BT making names and trying to get in his pants. It's nice to hear if the player is on your team, but as opposition or neutral it's incredibly frustrating
You can't seriously be suggesting it possible to dislike Max?

Agree with all that you are saying except for the bolded. Stringer is an arrogant, front running, campaigner, so full of his own bath water that he could explode at any second! Just my opinion :p

Gawny is the nicest bloke going around whos come from nothing to being AA, not sure how anyone could hate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the expectations on Oliver this year? Loved watching him play.

Laying off the chicken nuggets, relinquishing his inner country bogan, getting a hot girlfriend, ditching the floggy haircut, building a tank.

I'd say he'll play most weeks, but he's an inside bull. With others like Brayshaw coming back in, he might find himself pushed out if he doesn't keep the improvement going. Personally I'd have him in every week for the handball out of traffic....pure magic

lol I don't dislike him. Think his amazing. Just saying how people can easily dislike a player because of the jizz fest that happens with the commentators
I was just playing mate. I get what you mean, tho I more just gain an intense dislike for the commentators responsible rather than the players themselves. Rioli can and will cause Bruce to cream his jeans with a regulation handball, but he is still amazing to watch.

What's the expectations on Oliver this year? Loved watching him play.
I'm perhaps a little more bullish on him than most, but I think he'll cement a position as one of the comp's best young midfielders this year. His work in tight is amazing, and he's only just started to show that he's actually a very good user of the footy as well. He's still building his fitness, but will spend more time on the field this year, which can only be good for us. I thought last year we were a better team with him in it, which is saying something for a first year player who 9 months previous looked like he'd sooner eat the footy than kick it.

I was just playing mate. I get what you mean, tho I more just gain an intense dislike for the commentators responsible rather than the players themselves. Rioli can and will cause Bruce to cream his jeans with a regulation handball, but he is still amazing to watch.

I'm perhaps a little more bullish on him than most, but I think he'll cement a position as one of the comp's best young midfielders this year. His work in tight is amazing, and he's only just started to show that he's actually a very good user of the footy as well. He's still building his fitness, but will spend more time on the field this year, which can only be good for us. I thought last year we were a better team with him in it, which is saying something for a first year player who 9 months previous looked like he'd sooner eat the footy than kick it.
Agreed. Looks very young (reminds me of Bailey Dale a bit) however I think age and playing games, will turn out to be a fine footballer

Good future ahead for the club imo

I know it was only the first preseason game and admittedly I've only seen the first half, but there looks like there's been pretty significant improvement in our tackling over summer.

I thought this watching live.

Our pressure in general was up significantly, but I'll wait for a few more games before I think we've fixed it.
While I agree with that, I wasn't actually talking about our pressure, intensity or that type of thing. I actually mean our ability to stick a tackle looked improved.

Meh we were brilliant last pre season In pressing and tackling as well and then as soon as round 2 rolled around we weren't great again

Because the skills are a little rusty teams cant spread the footy as well and the tackling pressure goes up
Nah I'm not convinced. I think you're right with respect to effort/pressure/intensity whatever you want to call it. Call it willingness to tackle. But again I'm talking about our actual ability to tackle, to make em stick. Only been one game though, will be looking at it keenly again this week.

Nah I'm not convinced. I think you're right with respect to effort/pressure/intensity whatever you want to call it. Call it willingness to tackle. But again I'm talking about our actual ability to tackle, to make em stick. Only been one game though, will be looking at it keenly again this week.

Probably wasn't a harder team to tackle last year so I hope your right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back