Autopsy JLT 1 - Melbourne def Bulldogs by 6 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a dickhead. Became one of our bests.

Also JJ is such a great kick.

To be fair I did see lewis getting called for holding the ball a fair bit earlier so I also thought "hang on, whats happen to Lewwy" aswell

Enjoyed that. Looked to be quite intense at times considering it's a preseason match. Lewis is going to be important for us, even though he started slowly. Loved Hogan looking so strong and fit. Loved the Brashaw and the Salem. Impressed with the Buggy game too. Happy and a bit pizzled.

For those following, Gameday women's thread open too :)

Maybe head to a Dees mercy stand now for a 3qrt time outfit change when we're 6 goals up ... if you go now you can beat the crowds
Tom Boyd. You're from the outer east. You can't pull of slicked back hair with a mo.
Gotta have one of the most punchable heads going

Second to VitalDread :p
I dont know i have a better bad mug

I really hope Brian Lake is the like rookie who gets a pre season game and the next time you see them is the first pre season game next year.....

Good
Lewis, started slow, but got stuck into it. As i said very important late, went behind the ball
Gawn, where he left off
Spencer, showing some form in the 1's even if it is preseason
Salem, kicking is usually his strong point. It wasn't today but he still got a lot of ball
Jones, Reads play really well off of Half Back
Hogan, Got more involved after half time, kicking action looks neater
Gus got around and used it well

Weed and Jeffy where both lively early, where quiet second half

Bad
Vanders wasn't great but he tried really hard in the final quarter

Fugly
Even if it is Wagner, injuries suck

everything else was either good or meh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spencer and J Smith have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons selection wise.

Salem makes me moist.

Trac and Clarry are worthy of the hype.

Hoges will crack 50 goals this year.

Solid hitout overall. For a practice match the tackling pressure was outstanding.

Good
Lewis, started slow, but got stuck into it. As i said very important late, went behind the ball
Gawn, where he left off
Spencer, showing some form in the 1's even if it is preseason
Salem, kicking is usually his strong point. It wasn't today but he still got a lot of ball
Jones, Reads play really well off of Half Back
Hogan, Got more involved after half time, kicking action looks neater
Gus got around and used it well

Weed and Jeffy where both lively early, where quiet second half

Bad
Vanders wasn't great but he tried really hard in the final quarter

Fugly
Even if it is Wagner, injuries suck

everything else was either good or meh
14 games in his first year and Goodie is very confident with him,Jesus give him a go

It appears I will have to review some membership applications for the Jake Spencer Appreciation Society next week.

Get on board ladies and gents, the muss is about to lift off. As has been noted by posters already, playing him with Gawn should really help Gawn get through the season. We were lucky we didn't break Gawn last year with the workload he shouldered. And he'd be a nightmarish prospect resting at FF. Might mean we could pick a mobile forward line ie no Pedo, knowing that Gawn will play half the game there. And we don't have to play our Rolls Royce (Watts) in the ruck.

Thoughts on all players today:

NOTE - I am judging them on today, if I say someone was below par obviously I'm not melting it is a preseason game, just calling it as it is

1. Jesse Hogan - Shock horror, Hogan plays true CHF and plays another damn good game. Goalkicking routine looked fine (The shot he didn't take from 50m at the end was also against the wind so whilst he isn't a huge kick it was a very difficult shot)

2. Nathan Jones - Good solid game from the skipper, played around the standard we expect from him week in week out

3. Christian Salem - * I am SO happy he is fit. Was actually pretty good in the clinches today, would ideally like him more outside but he showed he can win his own ball. I just want Christian to be able to play 20+ games this year and it was a good start

5. Christian Petracca - Quiet day for Trac, didn't see him go into the midfield once from where I was standing and think he spent a fair bit of time off the ground

6. Jordan Lewis - Started slow like a few others from both sides, got into the game as it went on though. He will be very valuable for us with his decision making and leadership, he'll look slow at times but with so many good inside players he'll be fed the ball so much I can't see it being an issue

7. Jack Viney - Played like he wanted to make a mark as co-captain especially early. Kicked a damn good goal too

10. Angus Brayshaw - Like Salem just needs an extended run of no injuries. Aside from getting caught once he used the ball very well today and s**t he is hard at it

11. Max Gawn - Hasn't missed a beat, spent a fair chunk of time off the ground as well when they let Spencer ruck

13. Clayton Oilver - Seemed to be on the bench a lot in the 1st half and played a lot more as others were rested in the 2nd half. Ran with the ball today a bit which made me happy, he isn't Hunt-quick but he definitely isn't slow

15. Billy Stretch - Pretty standard link up game from Billy, used the ball well as usual

18. Jake Melksham - Confirmed my thoughts on his kicking, can be brilliant and kicks the ball like a mule but isn't quite an elite user. He'll be pretty close to a round 1 berth though as I think Goody loves him and I won't say no to a guy who can kick like he can on his day

22. Aaron Vandenberg - Really shouldn't be missing the goal that he did, but liked his game. Four tackles should be his pass mark for the rest of the season. I still think he lacks a bit of polish to play in a legitimately good side but happy to be proven wrong

23. Bernie Vince - Still don't like him in defence but he was pretty good today

24. Jay Kennedy-Harris - Linked up OK and his pressure was good. Was it just me or did he look a bit quicker than he has previously?

25. Tom McDonald - Had a chuckle at Cloke manhandling him for his first (Seen that before...) but he was fine afterwards. Think he was another who spent a lot of time off the ground in the 2nd half

26. Sam Weideman - Won't deny I got very, very excited at that big mark in the 2nd quarter. He just needs probably another two preseasons to really build up enough strength, and yes his pressure was again pretty non-existent but he has some serious ability. Did s**t me that he missed the goal but thats fine, I know he is a good converter usually but now I also know he can take those big marks like he did at junior level

28. Oscar McDonald - Think he only conceded one goal for the day if that. Along with his brother they held Boyd, Cloke and Crameri very well and he used the ball a lot better than at times in 2016

29. Jayden Hunt - Rate him very highly but his disposal by foot was poor today

30. Alex Neal-Bullen - Still played out of position up forward, but then again we can't give him a lot of midfield time. Honestly in one of the next two games (Probably WCE, I think the Carlton game will be a full round 1 rehearsal) I'd like to see him get a big part of the game on the ball

32. Tomas Bugg - No errors today and hit the scoreboard, continued on that mini run of decent form he had going towards the end of last year. Still think his best role is as a tagger but we don't see to want to use him as one

33. Jake Spencer - Was quite good today, took a couple big marks including the matchwinner. He'll never get a lot of the ball but showed he'll at least be serviceable should he be required in 2017

36. Jeff Garlett - Did chase a bit today despite his one tackle, and set up a few. Kinda classic Jeffy game really, he teases that he could play better but he is still an important part of the team

42. Josh Wagner - Was average before he went off. Only positive about his injury is with the emergence of Smith today and Hibberd/Melksham/Harmes we've got good depth in his position

43. James Harmes - Another one who I felt like didn't see a lot of gametime, however felt he used the ball well which has been a big criticism of mine in the past

44. Joel Smith - We've found one boys. Looks like an excellent athlete but used the ball when he got it well and marked strongly. I think he is an absolute lock to replace any small-medium defender that drops out of our back 6

OVERALL THOUGHTS ON THE GAME

- I didn't watch GWS vs WCE today but have watched the other two games and thought today was the most physical and highest level game so far. Both teams didn't really get a clean clearance due to the presence of the other

- If you thought we were an attacking team in 2016 I think we're going to take it to a whole new level in 2017. That isn't to say I thought we sacrificed defence even more today because we didn't (See above), but we played on at EVERY single opportunity. I think even the Dogs were a bit surprised at times how aggressive we were with our ball movement

- Dogs had some issues kicking inside 50 I thought (Probably not used to a forward 6 with much stronger marking power but a lot less defensive pressure) but very happy with our back 6. Majority of the goals the Dogs kicked were on the turnover from us in the middle, we didn't concede a lot of easy goals

Some very good signs. Dogs also went in with a decent side.
Oliver is very exciting. His ability by hand or foot to make something of nothing is outstanding.
Lewis will be valuable. Steadies the ship and players now to give it to him.
Omac was great. He looks like he'll take another step this year.
Hogan looked back to his best and another who'll take a step forward this year.
Brayshaw and Salem look good if they can continue to go injury free.
Joel Smith looks the goods. Didn't look like a player whose just comeback to footy.
Gawn looking good once again.
Jeffy looked dangerous.
Trac looking in great shape. Will be damaging up forward.
Melksham looked good. Still not convinced he would be in my best 22. But hey I've got no say in that.
Viney Vince and Jones continuing in solid form.
Weideman showing some good signs. Still will see plent VFL this year IMO.
Spencer looked capable as a back up.
Stretch looks very safe with ball in hand.

Thought we put a decent team in. Probably Watts Kent Tyson Jetta and Hibberd the absolute certainties missing. However I think Frost and Pedersen would also be in my best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back