Game Day JLT 1 NMFC V StKilda- average Barbers in Adelaide it appears

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 628283

That'll do me. Move on.

If anything he is too unselfish at times. Has a very mature football mind, constantly looking to open up space. Will be fun to watch him this year. While I think he's still 2-3 years from having the body type he'll need I think he's ready now to play the majority of this season.

The more and more I think about this game the less and less I care about it. For whatever reason North were taking the piss and had some other objective that didn't include winning the game. These stats back that up. The only concern is why we'd waste a good chance at a real hit out by playing a style of football that is totally at odds to our strengths.

Anyone that watched the game able to give an autopsy?
I'm guessing our backline was our weakness and mids and ball carriers our strength

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The more and more I think about this game the less and less I care about it. For whatever reason North were taking the piss and had some other objective that didn't include winning the game. These stats back that up. The only concern is why we'd waste a good chance at a real hit out by playing a style of football that is totally at odds to our strengths.

Not concerned at all about the result. Very happy with most of what I saw from the players.

Browny is still getting match fit and may be a slow starter for the season. Thought Cam & Jy were a little underwhelming, Tarryn still needs time to adjust. I still haven't analysed the replay.

We're probably going to get rolled in Perth.

St kildas main aim was to show regular season intensity for the whole game.

Our was to try out systems to cover injuries for round 1 and to getmes into new blokes and their new roles.

Anyone that watched the game able to give an autopsy?
I'm guessing our backline was our weakness and mids and ball carriers our strength

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Tas gave a pretty decent summary of it. It’s hard to give proper analysis because each player would’ve had different goals going into the game. You’re right about the backline, we were too small.

To work on our weaknesses perhaps?

Dare i say it, but plan B?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think i over heard Simon LeftLane, banging on about how stkilda are the fittest club in the comp etc etc.

Imagine the embarrassment of getting done by an inexperienced experimental North on a 38 degree day. StKilda HAD to win this.

Loved the glimpses of what i saw, Ahern is a jet of a playmaker. The weight he puts on those inboard kicks is beautiful to watch.

Our game “style” did seem to want to welcome the pressure to an extent. If you can work it forward under extreme constant handball pressure, on a tiny ground, then perhaps preparing for that makes it easier the players feel like they got more time once the ground/space is greater..... just a thought...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Campbell will play Rd1 with Goldy dropping back to play as another tall defender.

I would play Bailey too. The early days of the new rules will reward smarter players who can to position to take advantage of them or recover quickly from being exposed.

yes well letting the sts kick 8 goals ina row in the 2nd Qtr was not the plan so let us not get too delusional about woy has just happened
we are trying out 5 new guys and a couple of newbies
plus the backline has been decimated
and we dont have a replacement for a CHF who was one of best players (when on the park)

Fabulous news about LDU and if scott and TT are goers we are looking better but a couple of teams had trouble integrating recycled players last yr so expecting all of them to play better with us is a bit hopeful
we shld expect Polec to be good, but it is quite possible that the other recruits arent that much different form the blokes we alraedy have

I don’t mind if fans are a little critical of player skills in JLT games. We’re talking about their skills, not game play (which is being tested).

After all I don’t see teams in contention like WCE, ADL & GWS losing their winning culture just bc it’s JLT.

Also, pretty sure STK played under the same 40 degree heat that we did?

In my opinion player skills and execution is always up for critic no matter what game.

yes well letting the sts kick 8 goals ina row in the 2nd Qtr was not the plan so let us not get too delusional about woy has just happened
we are trying out 5 new guys and a couple of newbies
plus the backline has been decimated
and we dont have a replacement for a CHF who was one of best players (when on the park)

Fabulous news about LDU and if scott and TT are goers we are looking better but a couple of teams had trouble integrating recycled players last yr so expecting all of them to play better with us is a bit hopeful
we shld expect Polec to be good, but it is quite possible that the other recruits arent that much different form the blokes we alraedy have
I think we recruited them all as they were types we didn't have.

No doubts on Polec, he'll be very good. Tyson will offer another big body on the guts. The jury is out on Pittard. Did some good and some bad yesterday. He was isolated in 1v1's against KPF's which is far from ideal.

Unfortunately we didn't see much of Hall so it's impossible to have an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I don’t mind if fans are a little critical of player skills in JLT games. We’re talking about their skills, not game play (which is being tested).

After all I don’t see teams in contention like WCE, ADL & GWS losing their winning culture just bc it’s JLT.

Also, pretty sure STK played under the same 40 degree heat that we did?

In my opinion player skills and execution is always up for critic no matter what game.
Thats a good one give Freo absolutely pantsed west coast in the JLT on the eve of the season last year.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats a good one give Freo absolutely pantsed west coast in the JLT on the eve of the season last year.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last premiership team who were undefeated in the preseason was Hawthorn in 2014 - the first year where no elimination or Grand Final was involved. That's a pretty forgettable fact reflecting the forgettable nature of JLT games.

I think we were taken back a little by the pressure the Saints applied. On reflection it is preferable to cop a team that have applied themselves to an experimental side somewhat going through the motions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree with this - much better to get more realistic practice in. People can bag the Saints but they showed up and applied pressure which was impressive given they had more tall forwards than we had tall backs and it was 38 degrees.

The experiment - or overuse in most's opinion except Brad - doesn't really allow guys to play on instinct. It looked like players were trying to stick to the run, handball and switch style when the situation didn't call for it and as a result were in two minds, made mistakes or the Saints had time to get numbers back.

It quickly becomes obvious to the opposition when you play this way every time. Prefer to see the guys allowed to play more on instinct and get confidence up before round 1, not play contrived footy that inevitably leads to turn overs.

In terms of talent, we have heaps of it - just let them play.

We still have 3 weeks to polish it up, ( mainly the kamikaze handball) I wouldn’t worry.
I expect to see the handball happy game to disappear by R1.

I expect it was an experiment for JLT and we're keeping a bit of powder dry for the real stuff.

One suave *

Remove this Banner Ad

Back