JLT 1 - Tigers v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't think so at this point in time, then again I'm a big Luke Brown fan...too much is made of his less than stellar 2017 season where he carried a groin for a major part of the season, he's best 22 every day of the week when he's fit.

Here is my problem with that, we have Talia, Hartigan,Cheney, Brown all playing as lockdown defenders, then we have Laird who is a bit of everything but not the most creative with ball in hand and Smith who I'd prefer on a wing or in the middle as I don't rate his defensive actions whatsoever.
So If we had to sacrifice Smith and look for more rebound, is Brown able to lockdown as well as give something more ala Laird?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brown is a gun lockdown defender,but I don't think he can do both as shown last year.

Given how well Wigg found the ball tonight, we need to give him a go in the middle

Got in the right spots that's for sure. Butchered most of his kicks and looked a bit rushed but I'm sure that will come with time. The question is, does he have time?

Here is my problem with that, we have Talia, Hartigan,Cheney, Brown all playing as lockdown defenders, then we have Laird who is a bit of everything but not the most creative with ball in hand and Smith who I'd prefer on a wing or in the middle as I don't rate his defensive actions whatsoever.
So If we had to sacrifice Smith and look for more rebound, is Brown able to lockdown as well as give something more ala Laird?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brown is a gun lockdown defender,but I don't think he can do both as shown last year.

I'd hold fire on that assessment until Luke's back to full fitness and injury free...
Disregard 2016 as any gauge on what he's capable of going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a famous Victorian 'name'. Rioli doesn't have the composure to slow down and deliver a pinpoint pass which Milera did a couple of times. Some really nice tackles from him that should have been rewarded for illegal disposals.

Overall, a bit rusty, some silly decisions made, and some too cute attempts at passes, but it was an okay hitout after we looked a complete class above them in the first quarter. In the second and third quarter our midfield was quite young for the majority of the time. ROB was getting mauled in ruck but worked hard and did some really nice things, but relax when kicking for goal ROB! Really liked Dear's work in ruck and then follow ups. There was a really deft handball down low in the forward line in the second quarter from memory when the commentators were too excited to be talking to Rance to actually bother with the game of football that was happening out in front.

My pet hate with Foxtel is this. Get a F***ing commentary team that calls the game FFS. Thes idiots are a blight on our game of football. It's just one massive Victorian lovefest amongst themselves. Gawd I hate having to listen to them.:mad::thumbsdown:

I'd hold fire on that assessment until Luke's back to full fitness and injury free...
Disregard 2016 as any gauge on what he's capable of going forward.

CMon Bicks, I didn't just pick the game up last year.
Innitially he had one role, I.e to beat his direct opponent which he did, or broke even more often than not.
The evolution of the game and the requirements on all players has seen Luke slip as a defender way prior to injury.
I honestly don't think the kid should be pigeon holed as a defended. he showed last year that he can get and use his own ball. I just don't see him playing this rebound/quarterback role that we apparently need to compete in the modern game.

Mackay *197
Reilly 203
van Berlo 205
Doughty 231
Bickley 272

And there's an entire thread, a famous one at that, dedicated to the worst 200 game players in the league

To be fair that thread only became famous due to the meme it created.

A player that ordinary being our second best midfielder is basically the crux of the problem afflicting this club, and it's why so many of us were so desperately invested in us picking up Gibbs and/or Rockliff, and were subsequently so downbeat when the club did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

I'm hit and miss with this post seeing the point you make is right, but your blinded by your crusade against all things Crouch. Matt Crouch is the next Thompson/Priddis in terms of style. Big time clearance winner and aculimator but low damage and flexibilty is his mantra and he's not far off that forementioned level now seeing neither have any real damage to them. Of course you could argue that a Thommo/Priddis type player has no place in the modern game but i disagree.

Now that player has a place in any side but equally you don't want that player being the no
2 in your rotation seeing he's playing a role and you want more players that offer an all round package rated where matt is now.

1-2 players overtake him and we're oh so close to a premiership winning midfield.

You got that right. It's a festering disease that's crept over from Port Power. God! Is there a more stupid looking football team than Port?
It's simply amazing that he was voted best captain in the AFL. With only kicking 47 goals would you believe! Still, I know a few teams would kill to have him as their captain, but not us eh?

Good to see someone else picked up on this tripe.

Would love too see vision of what sounded like Menzel hitting Hampton running forward, Hampton running off and losing control of a bounce, before regathering and hitting jj on the chest.

Jj spills the mark and a defender gathers it, but Curtly sprints in and pins him holding the ball. Goal Curtly
Hampton should taken ownership and kicked the goal on the run instead of passing to jj but this will come in time.

Wait up, when has Thommos disposal been elite? When has his decision making been elite? Pace perhaps? NOpe. These are the knock you continually pipe up with regarding Crouch,so show me when this he's ever been the case with Thompson. Do you want to compare them at the same age, or games played?
If Crouch can learn to not give away 10 stupid free kicks per game, then I think he could quite easily better Thomson like for like.

I like crouch, but crouch will not be a better player than a 300 gamer that has polled the most votes in the brownlow than any other player in the the history of the AFC, crouch will be solid and good but Thommo was and I say was, elite

Game went as expected, we lost it in the mid, we will have at best an average midfield when Sloane gets back, club really didnt plan well in that area in a lot of ways, but will now have to live with it, they are hoping for organic growth which may occur, but no doubt in my mind to get the midfield to above average, they are going to have to sacrifice either defence or attack by bringing in one of Betts, Smith, Laird either full time or give them runs in the mid.

Most important position on the ground needs the best players

Given how well Wigg found the ball tonight, we need to give him a go in the middle

There was one knock on him last year which was his ability to find his own ball/work for his own ball, as opposed to waiting for it to be given to him. Towards the end of last year that improved markedly and we saw last night how he is able to take it another level. Yes, some of his kicking was poor last night, but once he settles it will be fine. The club would be stoked with his performance last night, as he showed that he's ready.

Based on last night compared to end of '16, I'd be playing Wigg (Thompson role), Douglas (B Crouch role), Hampton (Douglas half forward/mid role) and Otten (Cheney or Lever role whichever doesn't play) in Round 1.

Last edited:
There was one knock on him last year which was his ability to find his own ball/work for his own ball, as opposed to waiting for it to be given to him. Towards the end of last year that improved markedly and we saw last night how he is able to take it another level. Yes, some of his kicking was poor last night, but once he settles it will be fine. The club would be stoked with his performance last night, as he showed that he's ready.

Of the "new" players, based on last night, I'd be playing Wigg, Hampton and Otten playing Round 1.
I'd definitely be playing Wigg and Hampton at this stage. Otten depends on whether Cheney/Lever is out, for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back